Minelab Equinox 800 Ebay Insanity

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Moly , I was just looking at ebay on the EQ 800s , cant believe what people are paying and asking for these , these are selling for almost double what you could get the 600 for now ! Thats crazy its almost the same machine .... I personally am looking foreword to the 800 for a few minor things , The slightly faster recovery speed , adjustable tone break and pitch, backlight adjustment , profile button and possible use for single high frequency ,probably in that order . That being said no way would I pay that much above retail for those I dont think I've ever seen detectors sell for that much above MSRP . No wonder they are so hard to get right now everyone and their brother are selling them on ebay for big bucks. Oh well if you are buying at this price I hope it is worth it . Capitalism at its finest
:icon_thumright:
The funny thing is this machine is a beast and worth that and more.....

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some people that are just nuts. Remember when Hostess announced that "Twinkes" may no longer be made? some people went into a buying frenzy.

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ebay scammers are the worst . I would never pay more than they sell for to the public or I would wait . I was going to wait til I bought an 800 for the six inch coil but changed my mind when I found one .Took forever to charge and I have to go to town today so maybe tomorrow I will get to use it . I already notice it is more weight than the deus so I hope it is not a back , arm , shoulder killer .

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It only weighs 2.9 pounds, it is lass than a pound heaver than the Deus.

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have them both . My arm will let me know .I hunt with the control box around my neck with the deus .Every little bit helps when you want to swing all day .

chuckciao

Tenderfoot
Nov 16, 2010
Holy Moly , I was just looking at ebay on the EQ 800s , cant believe what people are paying and asking for these , these are selling for almost double what you could get the 600 for now ! Thats crazy its almost the same machine .... I personally am looking foreword to the 800 for a few minor things , The slightly faster recovery speed , adjustable tone break and pitch, backlight adjustment , profile button and possible use for single high frequency ,probably in that order . That being said no way would I pay that much above retail for those I dont think I've ever seen detectors sell for that much above MSRP . No wonder they are so hard to get right now everyone and their brother are selling them on ebay for big bucks. Oh well if you are buying at this price I hope it is worth it . Capitalism at its finest
:icon_thumright:
The funny thing is this machine is a beast and worth that and more.....

Also, there is strong evidence that copycat Equinoxes are now entering the market!

Where is that evidence at, not a single one has been reported to Minelab?

Last edited by a moderator:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends on what an extra $200-$300 is worth to you vs how long you are willing to sit around and not hunt (for those of us who sold a machine to get it).

I picked one up on eBay and have been hunting 4 times per week since I got it. For me it was a no brainer.

When my pre-order finally arrived I sold it for $1300 also. Easy!

Wiganer

Jan 30, 2017
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Whites dual field beast, with Anderson shaft.
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Goldstar
The max speed on the 600 vs the 800 are same, but you have more set points on the 800.
Gotta go, it's the maiden voyage for me and the wife with our 600's.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really wanted one, didn't work out so well. But I have plan "B" which is to wait about 6 months and see where all this flying fur lands!

OP
OP
Goldstar1

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goldstar
The max speed on the 600 vs the 800 are same, but you have more set points on the 800.
Gotta go, it's the maiden voyage for me and the wife with our 600's.

From what I understand the max rec. speed on the 600 is 6 and the 800 is 8 , I think a setting of about 7 might be better on some of the super iron infested areas I search But I dunno how much difference it really makes.

OP
OP
Goldstar1

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it all depends on how much someone is willing to pay so I am not trying to bash those that paid way more than MSRP just observing the phenomenon . For now I am very happy with the 600 and it will serve well until the 800s become readily available. I dont have any problem with the weight of the machine , the sun setting is the only thing that has cut short my detecting days. Maybe we should keep our mouths shut on how great the machine is and start complaining about how nose heavy it is and how bad the lower rod and arm cuff sucks , then the sales will slow down and minelab can get busy with the 6" coil and water proof headphones. Yeah Right

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is good that you have money to wasted. I do not have that kind of money like most people. I hope you all enjoy your new detector. Good hunting and good luck.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it's fair to call it money wasted. It may be for some and not for others. If you're in the market for a detector and your choices are a $2500 CTX or $1200 Nox, your perception might be one of value?!? Also, imagine you had no machine to detect with and you can only afford 1 machine, and the Nox 800 is THAT machine that covers everything. With this in mind... you can pay $1200 and have it in 3 days or pay $900 but "we don't have an estimated ship date" Some orders expected in May. So you're hopeful to receive it in May or June...hopeful but you don't know?!? I bet some people who 'don't have money to waste' can figure out a way to come up with $300. I know I could.

With all that said, my biggest issue is simply pulling the trigger. I'm the guy you don't want to be behind at a salad bar...I hate making decisions :) I was ready to buy 2 days ago and now I have cold feet again.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think it's fair to call it money wasted. It may be for some and not for others. If you're in the market for a detector and your choices are a $2500 CTX or $1200 Nox, your perception might be one of value?!? Also, imagine you had no machine to detect with and you can only afford 1 machine, and the Nox 800 is THAT machine that covers everything. With this in mind... you can pay $1200 and have it in 3 days or pay $900 but "we don't have an estimated ship date" Some orders expected in May. So you're hopeful to receive it in May or June...hopeful but you don't know?!? I bet some people who 'don't have money to waste' can figure out a way to come up with $300. I know I could.

With all that said, my biggest issue is simply pulling the trigger. I'm the guy you don't want to be behind at a salad bar...I hate making decisions :) I was ready to buy 2 days ago and now I have cold feet again.

Yeah totally, and what are the interest payments for the card when you have $1000 sitting for 7 months? Probably close to the $200 difference.

I don't think you can go wrong honestly. I always wanted a CTX and couldn't afford one... BUT it's a heavy machine. I got a CZ-21 as a 2nd choice, and the CZ-21 is a great beach machine, I do love it but it's heavy... I stop detecting when my arm runs out of steam, usually around 2 hours. After learning the equinox, I definitely prefer it to the CZ. I did a 4 hour hunt and my feet were sore but my arm was fine.

I ran into someone on the beach the other day using a CTX. I asked if I could feel the balance of his machine... because I've always wanted one.

I can't lie it was heavy! It made me NOT want one any more.

If the equinox performs as well (if not better but time will tell)... then it's basically the machine I always wanted except I am exchanging weight for GPS.

I can have GPS with a logger thumb drive anyway... already have one.

Took me awhile to warm up to my EQ800 ... I can't believe I'm going to say this but now I've been considering selling the CZ. Not going to do that until I get some water hunting in with the EQ800 to be sure.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread