Melbourne, Equinox 600, meeting Terry Shannon & scoring a LIMA? ...well, almost.

GroundBalanced

Aug 4, 2017
WestCoast-FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So i was getting ready to head out to Melbourne Beach a week after i picked up my Equinox 600. Freshly out of the box, an hours worth of testing in the backyard, and I was off to the East-Coast where i was going to have a little time to play on the beach between other events. I'm hitting some clad, some trash, an earring, things like that, and who comes walking up on the beach? The legendary TreasureCoast hunter Terry Shannon. Just out on the beach hunting at the same time, same place where i was. Nice guy, man he has found a lot of sweet loot in the past, but none today - which made me feel pretty good knowing my NOX wasn't missing anything. The next day (my last day) I'm swinging the coil around really loving the light weight of the NOX 600, and starting to get used to the sounds & capabilities, when BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP, whoa, nice signal. I put my TRex in the ground, again, and again, and i am at about 10 inches when this little darling in the picture pops up. It looked more silver in the ground, but as time passed, it showed slightly more gold. Now, diamond rings are awesome, but a coin from the shipwrecks? That's pretty cool too. The only problem was.... it rang too low of a TID# for silver, and it was just too light (about the same as a quarter). After looking more closely, it resembled a LIMA, but it wasn't spot on. Not sure what it is (except that its not a silver LIMA), and so must just be some type of aluminum or other metal tourist coin or something?

Not sure, feel free to chime in.

Photo Mar 19, 11 59 10 AM.jpg
Photo Mar 19, 7 21 02 PM.jpg
Photo Mar 19, 7 21 54 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Photo Mar 19, 11 59 10 AM.jpg
    Photo Mar 19, 11 59 10 AM.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 89

Wiganer

Jan 30, 2017
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Whites dual field beast, with Anderson shaft.
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Man that's a real interesting find, I hope is the real deal and not some fake thing. Me and the wife have just got back from the beach with our 600's and nothing, but we did learn a pullab at 16 may come in highr or lower if its broken, i also had a deep piece of iron come in at 26. Me and the nox didnt see eye to eye today.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the book on cobs, and the lions and castles do not look quite correct. The other side would have a discernable shield not wavy lines. You should have gotten a blasting high tone for a silver one. The tourists throw out repros for us here, Coming out of the ocean, it would not be gold toned or silver toned but dark grey to black. Try comparing it to some available on the net.

OP
OP
GroundBalanced

GroundBalanced

Aug 4, 2017
WestCoast-FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that's a real interesting find, I hope is the real deal and not some fake thing. Me and the wife have just got back from the beach with our 600's and nothing, but we did learn a pullab at 16 may come in highr or lower if its broken, i also had a deep piece of iron come in at 26. Me and the nox didnt see eye to eye today.

Wiganer - yeah, definitely interesting atleast. I find that the hardest ones to discern so far have been the newer poptop can tops that SHOULDN'T come off the can, but for some reason people pull them off the can and they end up on the beach. They were made to stay on the can, sigh. They ring so nicely and backing off doesn't grunt depending on depth, and throwing it into all-metal-mode can give you some indication, but it's a challenge for sure. Keep huntin', your next outing could be the big one!

OP
OP
GroundBalanced

GroundBalanced

Aug 4, 2017
WestCoast-FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah smokeythecat - i don't have a lot of hope for it, just too lightweight, and like you said - the color is off, the quadrants don't look accurate. But interesting for sure. This should mean i'm getting closer to finding the real thing, right? :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread