Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Equinox Service/Repair Info from Minelab service department.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    19533 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (7)
    Most electronics are "throw away" these days. The cost to physically repair a unit rather than swap out a part at today's labor rate might just have them swap out a piece. Hope you never have to find out. Of course 3-4 years from now, who is going to want "yesterday's meat loaf" repaired anyway. Things will change so much by then, for sure.

ca
    Steve

Jan 2017
    Nova Scotia
    Whites dual field beast, with Anderson shaft. Equinox 600
    96 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    If this is true, then anyone that has a 600 could make it into an 800 in the future.
    Hawks88 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2012
    Twin Tiers NY
    XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
    462 times
    Head unit is permanently sealed and would not be able to reseal without added cost so it is cheaper for them to sell/replace the head unit. You will probably see aftermarket repairs available for out of warranty machines

us
    TunaTonker

Nov 2016
    Whites, Garrett, Minelab
    252 times
    It appears the Control Box is serviceable by the service center in certain situations. Here is my follow up question:

Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2018 3:20 AM
    To: Minelab Service <Service@minelab.com.au>
    Subject: Re: RE: RE: Equinox service thread on TreasureNet Forums

Thank you for the reply. One more question, you said the control box will be available for purchase seperately, will we also be able to have them just repaired at the Service Centre if something is repairable in it, or does the whole control box need to be replaced? I posted up your response on the TreasureNet forum. I appreciate your help with these questions.

Thank you,

David

Minelab Service <Service@minelab.com.au>
    To: David

Apr‎ ‎3 at ‎6‎:‎58‎ ‎PM

Hi David,

This will depend what is faulty in the control box. Each case will be individual depending on the fault.

Kind Regards,

Minelab Service
    Last edited by GoDeep; Apr 04, 2018 at 07:46 AM.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    29107 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDeep View Post
    Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2018 3:20 AM
    To: Minelab Service <Service@minelab.com.au>
    Subject: Re: RE: RE: Equinox service thread on TreasureNet Forums

Thank you for the reply. One more question, you said the control box will be available for purchase seperately, will we also be able to have them just repaired at the Service Centre if something is repairable in it, or does the whole control box need to be replaced? I posted up your response on the TreasureNet forum. I appreciate your help with these questions.

Thank you,

David

Minelab Service <Service@minelab.com.au>
    Toavid

Apr‎ ‎3 at ‎6‎:‎58‎ ‎PM

Hi David,

This will depend what is faulty in the control box. Each case will be individual depending on the fault.

Kind Regards,

Minelab Service
    Exactly, Minelab is not going to throw away the control box just because the keypad, external speaker, headphone jack, charging port , coil cable connector ect failed.
    1942 merc and GoDeep like this.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

us
    TunaTonker

Nov 2016
    Whites, Garrett, Minelab
    252 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Samuel View Post
    These are some of the reasons why I refused to purchase these detectors. Best of luck to those who purchase these detectors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick K View Post
    So the control box IS non-repairable. Likely a fact of life these days with all surface mounted components and glued-together construction. Only problem with that is the usual Minelab issue - sky-high prices for replacement components.
    Here’s what ML wrote....”Yes customers will be able to purchase a new control box, armrest or shaft components if their out of warranty machine has become unusable.”

that says that they are unrepairable. don’t know if that’s what they meant, but the text - as it is - is plain.
    It is repairable depending on the fault. See my above follow up question and reply.
    Last edited by GoDeep; Apr 04, 2018 at 07:59 AM.

us
    Jan 2007
    Gold Canyon AZ
    ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
    567 times
    Time will tell

us
    TunaTonker

Nov 2016
    Whites, Garrett, Minelab
    252 times
    Its the year 2018. The days of the user pulling off the back cover and adjusting the pots or breaking out his soldering iron to replace a capacitor or diode are long over. Modern electronics utilize mass produced modular, integrated, microprocessor controlled pcb's, that are usually non serviceable. So no matter what brand you are a fan of, that is the future. This isn't unique to Minelab. This doesn't stop anyone from buying a cell phone.
    Last edited by GoDeep; Apr 04, 2018 at 08:25 AM.
    sprailroad likes this.

Apr 2015
    CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
    1318 times
    Metal Detecting
    I think it's very unlikely that Minicab is going to repair machines... it is POSSIBLE that they would break open a unit and recover the motherboard and screen, and install it into a new case for the repair... seems unlikely because the case needs to be re-glued and leak tested...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	case.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	1573687
    Minelab Equinox 800,Fisher CZ-21, Excalibur II

... waiting to see that elusive dowser on the beach with a bucket of gold rings ...

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    29107 times
    Quote Originally Posted by flgliderpilot View Post
    I think it's very unlikely that Minicab is going to repair machines... it is POSSIBLE that they would break open a unit and recover the motherboard and screen, and install it into a new case for the repair... seems unlikely because the case needs to be re-glued and leak tested...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	case.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	1573687
    \

Repairs will be done, resealing the case and then doing a pressure test is not a big deal. Equinox has a 3 year warranty, Minelab is not going to throw away the controls because the LCD failed, or the keypad failed. As far as the housing, they are not expensive so if front, back or both halves need to be replaced not a big deal. Just like on the 3030, parts were replaced, they did not throw away the controls because the keypad, speaker, power board ect failed, they replaced them.
    1942 merc likes this.

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

us
    Jan 2007
    Gold Canyon AZ
    567 times
    The above message to David is from Minelab service Australia - service@minelab.com.au

The minelab usa address is service@minelabamericas.com

Info from this website https://www.minelab.com/usa/corporate/contact-us-2

What they do in OZ - where they have in-house repair facilities, may be very different from what they do un the US where their service is contracted out to a third party.

The cost to ML USA for a service to replace, for example a screen would be at least one hour of shop time - let’s say $60, plus the part cost - $20? Add to that the cost of carrying spare parts inventory and it quickly reaches over $100. Then there’s the inevitable dissatisfaction and forum fuss when a customer is not satisfied that the repair is adequate, and making a nice profit on selling a replacement control box for $350 becomes pretty attractive.
    Last edited by Rick K; Apr 04, 2018 at 09:07 AM.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    29107 times
    The above message to David is from Minelab service Australia - service@minelab.com.au

The minelab usa address is service@minelabamericas.com

Info from this website https://www.minelab.com/usa/corporate/contact-us-2

What they do in OZ - where they have in-house repair facilities, may be very different from what they do un the US where their service is contracted out to a third party.
    Repairs are done by authorized repair centers, only those authorized to do repairs to Minelab specs have access to the parts. Minelab stop doing in house repairs in 2014, every since then repairs were done by Minelab authorized repair centers.
    GoDeep likes this.

2nd Amendment

USAF 1967-1971

No Expiration Date!

us
    Jan 2007
    Gold Canyon AZ
    567 times
    I believe that ML still does repairs in-house in Australia - does anyone have actual information to the contrary?

For example, the name and address of the contracted facility in Australia.
    Last edited by Rick K; Apr 04, 2018 at 09:26 AM.

us
    Sep 2012
    sd
    xp deus , Equinox 800
    576 times
    Metal Detecting
    So in there years I may have to buy a new control box . Big deal , is this the end of the world......no.....what are you going to do when all this advances and every detector is this way? Do you want a water proof machine or not ?
    GoDeep likes this.
    South Dakota motto .....Steak , guns and fur . Don't mess with us .

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    29107 times
    I believe that ML still does repairs in-house in Australia - does anyone have actual information to the contrary?
    There is no customer in-house repairs in Australia, there are 3 authorized repair centers there for customers in Australia, none in-house.

https://www.minelab.com/usa/customer...ervice-support
    sprailroad likes this.

2nd Amendment

USAF 1967-1971

No Expiration Date!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links