Equinox Service/Repair Info from Minelab service department.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Serious question here, as I'm not sure of what the issue here is...

Why does it MATTER, if Minelab repairs a control box by opening it up, or replaces it instead?

About a year and a half ago, I had a problem with my Explorer SE Pro. I sent it to Minelab, and their repair facility opened it up, diagnosed the problem, and determined that it was a faulty "main control board," and that a new one would be roughly $350. I opted not to have it repaired, but that is not the point. My point is, what I wanted at the time, was for my SE Pro to be returned back to working order. At the time, it would not have mattered one bit if they had told me "here are your options -- we can open it up, make the repair, and send it back to you, for $350 -- OR -- we can give you a whole new control box, and install it back on the shaft for you, for $350." In fact, I would have opted for the NEW control box for $350, instead of the repair!

I am not sure why it would be an issue for the end user, if
90% of the time (or 100% of the time, for that matter),
Minelab "repairs" an Equinox control-box fault by REPLACING the control box, versus opening it up and having an expert electronics tech replace control boards, or control-board components. Isn't the user's goal to end up with a properly working unit, after sending it to Minelab? I guess I fail to see why anyone is concerned with HOW they received back a properly working unit -- whether "repair" or "replace." Am I missing something?

Working on electronic control boards is delicate work, that requires an expert tech, and even then, the repairs often can't be done. At some point, the units can be PRODUCED more cheaply than they can be REPAIRED. That's the nature of the time in which we live, and the complexity of the electronics we are using. I guess I don't understand why anyone would care, if the fact were that it is more cost-effective to REPLACE a control box, than REPAIR it. I guess don't know what all the fuss is about...

Steve

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Serious question here, as I'm not sure of what the issue here is...

Why does it MATTER, if Minelab repairs a control box by opening it up, or replaces it instead?

About a year and a half ago, I had a problem with my Explorer SE Pro. I sent it to Minelab, and their repair facility opened it up, diagnosed the problem, and determined that it was a faulty "main control board," and that a new one would be roughly $350. I opted not to have it repaired, but that is not the point. My point is, what I wanted at the time, was for my SE Pro to be returned back to working order. At the time, it would not have mattered one bit if they had told me "here are your options -- we can open it up, make the repair, and send it back to you, for $350 -- OR -- we can give you a whole new control box, and install it back on the shaft for you, for $350." In fact, I would have opted for the NEW control box for $350, instead of the repair!

I am not sure why it would be an issue for the end user, if
90% of the time (or 100% of the time, for that matter),
Minelab "repairs" an Equinox control-box fault by REPLACING the control box, versus opening it up and having an expert electronics tech replace control boards, or control-board components. Isn't the user's goal to end up with a properly working unit, after sending it to Minelab? I guess I fail to see why anyone is concerned with HOW they received back a properly working unit -- whether "repair" or "replace." Am I missing something?

Working on electronic control boards is delicate work, that requires an expert tech, and even then, the repairs often can't be done. At some point, the units can be PRODUCED more cheaply than they can be REPAIRED. That's the nature of the time in which we live, and the complexity of the electronics we are using. I guess I don't understand why anyone would care, if the fact were that it is more cost-effective to REPLACE a control box, than REPAIR it. I guess don't know what all the fuss is about...

Steve

My thoughts exactly.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The philosophy of repair vs. replace is interesting but theoretical. The cost is the question. Throwing away a $100 toaster oven because it can’t be economically repaired is one thing, throwing away a $600 - $900 detector because control box replacement is the only way to fix a dead push pad control or bad screen is another. If control box replacement is the only option, the cost of the new box is the key issue on any problem not covered by warranty.

So, what does everybody think is a reasonable price for replacement of an out of warranty control head?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since it is another 2 years before the first produced Equinox warranties expires it is all nothing more than premature speculation.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter and Vferrari are correct. A couple years from now you'll send it in, they'll email you an estimate to REPLACE the control box, and then you decide what you're going to do. A real no brainer. I guarantee the service centers (including TV and cell phone service centers, DO NOT do microcircuitry work. That takes an important investment in equipment and personnel. They're not doing that. You will have an option of paying to replace it or buy another machine of your choice. It's just the way it is. Some cars are falling into this category also, in a moderate wreck the insurance company chooses to buy you out and junk the car, even though the car COULD be repaired. Right now its speculation, but don't worry about it. Time to dig...

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Non warranty repairs can occur long before expiration - dropped, slammed in car door, backed over - the list goes on. So it is not speculation. Besides the consideration of eventual failure and the cost of remedying it are something anyone who is going to part with many hundreds of dollars on a new tool ought to consider.

Just ask my neighbor and hunting companion how he felt when he found out a replacement control box for his Deus was $500 (his dropped off at the beach and was lost in the sand.)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rick K, I have known folks to run over theirs with trucks. Probably you'd have to just suck it up and get another machine of your choice. There is never a free lunch with any manufacturer. And the control box will not be repaired at a service center. It takes folks with extreme knowledge in electronics and with the proper tools to do it. I think most brands fall under this type scenario however.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The philosophy of repair vs. replace is interesting but theoretical. The cost is the question. Throwing away a $100 toaster oven because it can’t be economically repaired is one thing, throwing away a $600 - $900 detector because control box replacement is the only way to fix a dead push pad control or bad screen is another. If control box replacement is the only option, the cost of the new box is the key issue on any problem not covered by warranty.

So, what does everybody think is a reasonable price for replacement of an out of warranty control head?

Typically, they would replace just the control head (~$350), coil (~$200), rod/shaft (~$100), headphones (~$100), or other failed accessories (e.g., WM08 for ~$200). Prices based on reasonable "actual" cost of the hardware based on markdowns from the inflated ML accessory pricing.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The issue is that the Nox control unit is completely glued together - non-destructive disassembly has been demonstrated to not be possible. Sure, work on the main circuit board may not be cost effective because of surface mount components, etc, but with the Nox NONE of the components in the control unit can be serviced. I don’t know offhand of any other detector assembled that way. A push pad, screen or any other discrete sub-assembly could otherwise be removed and replaced. Not now apparently.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Technology is advancing so fast, by the time the warranty has expired, I will likely have moved on to the next best thing which will likely cost less than the cost of repairing an out of warranty Equinox. Not losing sleep on something I won't have to worry about for another 2 years.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
V is right. Just get something else, whatever that "something" is. I would not buy a 2018 model in 2021.

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anyone have the contact information for the Illinois repair center, please?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The repair center is in Pennsylvania, actually. Minelab Americas Support call center is in Illinois - Direct Lines are:

1.Jamie@630-401-8150

2. Tracy@630-401-8159

Last edited:

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The repair center is in Pennsylvania, actually. Minelab Americas Support call center is in Illinois - Direct Lines are:

1.Jamie@630-401-8150

2. Tracy@630-401-8159

Thanks, V, really appreciate it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread