Equinox Service/Repair Info from Minelab service department. - Page 4
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Equinox Service/Repair Info from Minelab service department.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    ca
    Dec 2015
    Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
    228 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    Normsel, I'm surprised you had a problem. Maybe it's just me but I generally don't have problems with stuff breaking out of the box. Minelab will do ok.

Now 5 years from now folks, do you really think you'll want the detector you have now? Whichever one it is? Technology is changing so fast.....

I have had two items out of warranty repaired, ever. A Tesoro and a Garrett pinpointer. Yes, I had to pay for it, but it was inexpensive and quick.

I judge...with extreme prejudice...if its not worth fixing or replacing....I just throw it away.
    Last edited by fuceye; Apr 07, 2018 at 08:56 AM.

us
    Jan 2007
    Gold Canyon AZ
    ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
    640 times
    OK, a year has gone by since we all had fun discussing whether Equinox control boxes were repairable or only replaceable.

Does anyone know of a case where an Equinox congtrol box was opened by the service center, repaired and returned? I have only seen posts about replacement.
    Last edited by Rick K; Apr 09, 2019 at 11:55 AM.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    18318 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    I guess I should post my personal experience on this thread, and Minelab repairs. Several years ago I had a defunct Excal II. Minelab repaired that machine toot sweet, and it didn't break the bank, as it was out of warranty. Turn around was faster than expected, and service was beyond complaint.
    Hawks88 likes this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

us
    Jan 2007
    Gold Canyon AZ
    640 times
    Thanks for sharing your experience from “back when”. Nowadays, Minelab does none of their repairs in-house.

Back to my original question however - does anyone know of even one instance in which and Excalibur control box was repaired by a service center as opposed to being replaced?

ca
    Hawks88

Aug 2012
    Niagara falls
    Equinox 600
    11154 times
    Thanks for all the info guys.

Jan 2011
    124 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick K View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experience from “back when”. Nowadays, Minelab does none of their repairs in-house.

Back to my original question however - does anyone know of even one instance in which and Excalibur control box was repaired by a service center as opposed to being replaced?
    2 years ago Minelab repaired the control box of my excalibur. The service was very quick and the price wasnt high at all. Something about €140 all in.

And yes it was done by Minelab Ireland as I live in Europe
    DeepseekerADS and A2coins like this.

I don't know. But I agree when the warranty is up most of our modern detectors are essentially "throw aways". Some of the pricier ones (over $1k) have totally modular parts and could have replacement pieces sent to us, other than that, it's disposable detectors it seems.
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Jan 2007
    Gold Canyon AZ
    640 times
    Crap!! I wrote Excalibur when I meant Equinox. Everybody knows the Excalibur is repairable.

Does anybody have knowledge of an Equinox control box repair.?

By the way, Minelab no longer repairs detectors in Ireland.
    A2coins likes this.

Rick, it should still be under warranty. From what I've heard they just replace the whole part (control box). They had some quality control issues for the first few months, I assume they got them straightened out. It happens a lot with anything new. My daughter tells me not to buy a new computer until it's been on the market for at least 6 months. If yours is out of warranty, they would replace the box at a cost. No idea how much however.
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Jan 2007
    Gold Canyon AZ
    640 times
    Smokey - warranty/shmarranty - I’m just trying to nail down what it took 4 pages on this thread to not decide. Is the Nox control box repairable, or is it a “replace-only” item. If the latter, then non warranty replacement cost will be an interesting data point. This issue will come up prior to warranty expiring when a guy runs over his Nox or drops something on it.

A new Deus control box is about $500 for example.
    A2coins likes this.

Yes, running a truck over one won't do it any good. Every one I've heard of that has had a problem has been replaced. That's about 3 cases. So it's replace only.
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Jan 2007
    Gold Canyon AZ
    640 times
    I’m not saying it’s a bad thing - just a new thing for us in “detector-world” and something to be aware of.
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    Near Ground Zero for Insanity
    XP Deus with HF Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek Delta/Whites MXT/Garrett Carrot/Piranha Relic Shovel
    6633 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick K View Post

You mean Equinox, right? Other than the user replaceable battery, the surface mount technology on the controller board and plastiweld sealed controller housing for watertightness appears to generally preclude repairs even including normally replaceable display components or the membrane switches .

Now that the ML Pennsylvania repair facility has taken over handling the Equinox repairs, vice just swapping out whole units or the occasional shaft, coil, or control head at the Illinois distribution center, as was the case early on, I have still heard of only shaft, battery, coil, or control head swap outs by the repair center. Unless it involves traditional soldering and circuit card or electronic module replacement, not sure micro electronic surgery can be accomplished even at a repair center these days
    Last edited by vferrari; Apr 10, 2019 at 05:34 AM.
    A2coins likes this.
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."

us
    Feb 2012
    58 times
    Diagnosing an issue on the board probably takes too much time. A smart guy could get pretty good at it but they probably aren’t set up like that.
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Only boaring people get board

Nov 2018
    The Thumb
    Mine Lab Equinox 800, Mine Lab Pro Find 35, Garrett ATpro, Garrett Pro Pointer 2, Whites ID5 Classic
    2962 times
    The manufacturing process used to make these boards now en days makes it very difficult to replace any component on the board..
    A2coins likes this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links