Equinox Service/Repair Info from Minelab service department.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About a month ago a post sprang up saying that Minelab wouldn't service units (or have repair parts available) past the Warranty period, thus making it a "Throw away detector". (the original thread was rightfully removed)

At that time, I emailed them to get an answer directly from Minelab, rather then internet hearsay. I'll be following up with more detailed questions as they didn't answer whether the control unit itself can be repaired rather then replaced. Edit: Follow up question and answer posted on second page of thread, in short, yes the control box can be repaired too depending on fault.

Here is their reply:

Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2018 9:30 AM
To: Minelab Service <[email protected]>; Minelabsales <[email protected]>
Subject: Equinox service thread on TreasureNet Forums
Hello,

Since it could have serious consequences for sales now and in the future, there is a rumor posted up on TreasureNet Forum that the new Equinox can not be serviced by the factory since the control box can not be opened up and that once the warranty runs out, there is no way the factory can do any repairs thus making it a "throw away" detector as one poster is claiming. If that is true, will at least the control box be offered as a whole for those that fail past the warranty period? I want to quash any rumors before they take off.

David

On ‎Sunday‎, ‎February‎ ‎18‎, ‎2018‎ ‎05‎:‎40‎:‎28‎ ‎PM‎ ‎CST, Minelab Service <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi David,

I have forwarded your email to our engineering department. As the Equinox has only just been released we haven’t had any official training on repairing them yet. This will happen soon though.
I will contact you once I receive a reply from our engineers.

Kind Regards,
Minelab

Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 3:24 AM
To: Minelab Service <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: RE: Equinox service thread on TreasureNet Forums
Hello,

Thank you for your reply, i'm just following up as I never heard back from engineering on my original question. Any updates?

Thank you,
David

Minelab Service <[email protected]>
To: David
Apr‎ ‎3 at ‎2‎:‎28‎ ‎AM

Hi David,

I do apologize about the long wait in reply in regards to the Equinox repair.

Yes customers will be able to purchase a new control box, armrest or shaft components if their out of warranty machine has become unusable. These will still need to be purchased from a service centre though. Customers will also be able to purchase batteries and change them themselves.
You will be able to purchase coils through your dealership though.

Kind Regards,

Minelab Service

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
That’s is very good information from Minelab. Thanks for posting it David.

GroundBalanced

Aug 4, 2017
WestCoast-FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's another part I am very interested in "...also be able to purchase batteries and change them themselves". Nice. I was hoping there wasn't going to be a waterproof'g issue with swapping out batteries outside of the svc center.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the control box IS non-repairable. Likely a fact of life these days with all surface mounted components and glued-together construction. Only problem with that is the usual Minelab issue - sky-high prices for replacement components.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the control box IS non-repairable. Likely a fact of life these days with all surface mounted components and glued-together construction. Only problem with that is the usual Minelab issue - sky-high prices for replacement components.

It will depend on what is wrong with the control box, most can be repaired, if the motherboard goes bad that is where the cost will increase.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here’s what ML wrote....”Yes customers will be able to purchase a new control box, armrest or shaft components if their out of warranty machine has become unusable.”

that says that they are unrepairable. don’t know if that’s what they meant, but the text - as it is - is plain.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are some of the reasons why I refused to purchase these detectors. Best of luck to those who purchase these detectors.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very few things are completely un-repairable. The problem here is simply that they can make one cheaper than they can have someone troubleshoot and repair one, because it's all SMD components.. it's cheaper to just replace it.

Those who are smart enough to repair one, will quickly step in to fill the void, and profit. Look at all the cell phone repair companies they popped up from this exact scenario.

Last edited:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Billions of cellphones - thousands of detectors - don’t see a future with lots of detector repair shops. ML is famous for making 3rd party repairs difficult through grinding off part numbers, conformal coating everything, etc.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here’s what ML wrote....”Yes customers will be able to purchase a new control box, armrest or shaft components if their out of warranty machine has become unusable.”

that says that they are unrepairable. don’t know if that’s what they meant, but the text - as it is - is plain.

I think your reading too much into it, "unusable is when it can't be repaired. when I talked to Minelab in person I was told they would be doing repairs on the unit. ML is not going to build a detector where they have to install a whole new control box just because the LCD is bad or the keypad is bad ect, it would cost prohibitive for their warranty program. If the motherboard dies and your out of warranty then that may be where they sell a new control box.

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think your reading too much into it .

That is what happens in emails . How you word things and what you mean could go either way depending on the other persons perspective . Call and get a direct answer .Let me know what you find out .

Until then I am going with this .

when I talked to Minelab in person I was told they would be doing repairs on the unit .

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at it this way, Minelab works on the entire Xterra series, warranty and non warranty and they cost less than the Equinox 600 or 800 costs. There will be after warranty repairs on the Nox, Minelab does warranty work then non warranty work on their detectors until they run out of parts on discontinued detectors.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Billions of cellphones - thousands of detectors - don’t see a future with lots of detector repair shops. ML is famous for making 3rd party repairs difficult through grinding off part numbers, conformal coating everything, etc.

I wouldn't expect a detector repair shop to do this... just one individual who finds the most common easy to repair fault (charging circuit, buttons, etc), buys broken machines cheap on ebay, repairs them and flips them for a couple hundred bucks profit. Perhaps also offers to repair them as well. Time will tell.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are some of the reasons why I refused to purchase these detectors. Best of luck to those who purchase these detectors.

So do you refuse to buy a flat screen TV also...since nearly all newer televisions are "throw away" units?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most electronics are "throw away" these days. The cost to physically repair a unit rather than swap out a part at today's labor rate might just have them swap out a piece. Hope you never have to find out. Of course 3-4 years from now, who is going to want "yesterday's meat loaf" repaired anyway. Things will change so much by then, for sure.

Wiganer

Jan 30, 2017
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Whites dual field beast, with Anderson shaft.
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If this is true, then anyone that has a 600 could make it into an 800 in the future.

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Head unit is permanently sealed and would not be able to reseal without added cost so it is cheaper for them to sell/replace the head unit. You will probably see aftermarket repairs available for out of warranty machines

OP
OP
GoDeep

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears the Control Box is serviceable by the service center in certain situations. Here is my follow up question:

Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2018 3:20 AM
Subject: Re: RE: RE: Equinox service thread on TreasureNet Forums

Thank you for the reply. One more question, you said the control box will be available for purchase seperately, will we also be able to have them just repaired at the Service Centre if something is repairable in it, or does the whole control box need to be replaced? I posted up your response on the TreasureNet forum. I appreciate your help with these questions.

Thank you,

David

To: David

Apr‎ ‎3 at ‎6‎:‎58‎ ‎PM

Hi David,

This will depend what is faulty in the control box. Each case will be individual depending on the fault.

Kind Regards,

Minelab Service

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2018 3:20 AM
Subject: Re: RE: RE: Equinox service thread on TreasureNet Forums

Thank you for the reply. One more question, you said the control box will be available for purchase seperately, will we also be able to have them just repaired at the Service Centre if something is repairable in it, or does the whole control box need to be replaced? I posted up your response on the TreasureNet forum. I appreciate your help with these questions.

Thank you,

David

To:David

Apr‎ ‎3 at ‎6‎:‎58‎ ‎PM

Hi David,

This will depend what is faulty in the control box. Each case will be individual depending on the fault.

Kind Regards,

Minelab Service

Exactly, Minelab is not going to throw away the control box just because the keypad, external speaker, headphone jack, charging port , coil cable connector ect failed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread