Equinox Service/Repair Info from Minelab service department.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Equinox Service/Repair Info from Minelab service department.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    TunaTonker

Nov 2016
    Whites, Garrett, Minelab
    254 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Equinox Service/Repair Info from Minelab service department.

About a month ago a post sprang up saying that Minelab wouldn't service units (or have repair parts available) past the Warranty period, thus making it a "Throw away detector". (the original thread was rightfully removed)

At that time, I emailed them to get an answer directly from Minelab, rather then internet hearsay. I'll be following up with more detailed questions as they didn't answer whether the control unit itself can be repaired rather then replaced. Edit: Follow up question and answer posted on second page of thread, in short, yes the control box can be repaired too depending on fault.

Here is their reply:

Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2018 9:30 AM
    To: Minelab Service <Service@minelab.com.au>; Minelabsales <minelab@minelab.com.au>
    Subject: Equinox service thread on TreasureNet Forums
    Hello,

Since it could have serious consequences for sales now and in the future, there is a rumor posted up on TreasureNet Forum that the new Equinox can not be serviced by the factory since the control box can not be opened up and that once the warranty runs out, there is no way the factory can do any repairs thus making it a "throw away" detector as one poster is claiming. If that is true, will at least the control box be offered as a whole for those that fail past the warranty period? I want to quash any rumors before they take off.

David

On ‎Sunday‎, ‎February‎ ‎18‎, ‎2018‎ ‎05‎:‎40‎:‎28‎ ‎PM‎ ‎CST, Minelab Service <Service@minelab.com.au> wrote:
    Hi David,

I have forwarded your email to our engineering department. As the Equinox has only just been released we haven’t had any official training on repairing them yet. This will happen soon though.
    I will contact you once I receive a reply from our engineers.

Kind Regards,
    Minelab

Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 3:24 AM
    To: Minelab Service <Service@minelab.com.au>
    Subject: Re: RE: Equinox service thread on TreasureNet Forums
    Hello,

Thank you for your reply, i'm just following up as I never heard back from engineering on my original question. Any updates?

Thank you,
    David

Minelab Service <Service@minelab.com.au>
    To: David
    Apr‎ ‎3 at ‎2‎:‎28‎ ‎AM

Hi David,

I do apologize about the long wait in reply in regards to the Equinox repair.

Yes customers will be able to purchase a new control box, armrest or shaft components if their out of warranty machine has become unusable. These will still need to be purchased from a service centre though. Customers will also be able to purchase batteries and change them themselves.
    You will be able to purchase coils through your dealership though.

Kind Regards,

Minelab Service
    Last edited by GoDeep; Apr 04, 2018 at 08:49 AM.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    Equinox 800 / XP Deus / ORX / Simplex+
    7816 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    That’s is very good information from Minelab. Thanks for posting it David.

“Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.”
    – Albert Einstein

us
    Aug 2017
    WestCoast-FL
    Minelab Equinox 600
    76 times
    That's another part I am very interested in "...also be able to purchase batteries and change them themselves". Nice. I was hoping there wasn't going to be a waterproof'g issue with swapping out batteries outside of the svc center.
    GoDeep and Hawks88 like this.

us
    Jan 2007
    Gold Canyon AZ
    ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
    643 times
    So the control box IS non-repairable. Likely a fact of life these days with all surface mounted components and glued-together construction. Only problem with that is the usual Minelab issue - sky-high prices for replacement components.
    Hawks88 and T.C. like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    30376 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick K View Post
    So the control box IS non-repairable. Likely a fact of life these days with all surface mounted components and glued-together construction. Only problem with that is the usual Minelab issue - sky-high prices for replacement components.
    It will depend on what is wrong with the control box, most can be repaired, if the motherboard goes bad that is where the cost will increase.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

us
    Jan 2007
    Gold Canyon AZ
    643 times
    Here’s what ML wrote....”Yes customers will be able to purchase a new control box, armrest or shaft components if their out of warranty machine has become unusable.”

that says that they are unrepairable. don’t know if that’s what they meant, but the text - as it is - is plain.
    Hawks88, sandmartin and T.C. like this.

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    3186 times
    These are some of the reasons why I refused to purchase these detectors. Best of luck to those who purchase these detectors.
    T.C. likes this.

Apr 2015
    CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
    1329 times
    Metal Detecting
    Very few things are completely un-repairable. The problem here is simply that they can make one cheaper than they can have someone troubleshoot and repair one, because it's all SMD components.. it's cheaper to just replace it.

Those who are smart enough to repair one, will quickly step in to fill the void, and profit. Look at all the cell phone repair companies they popped up from this exact scenario.
    Last edited by flgliderpilot; Apr 03, 2018 at 04:11 PM.
    Minelab Equinox 800,Fisher CZ-21, Excalibur II

... waiting to see that elusive dowser on the beach with a bucket of gold rings ...

us
    Jan 2005
    Choctaw Beach Florida
    Equinox 800 and 600, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
    1499 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Good stuff
    GoDeep and Hawks88 like this.
    God and country.

us
    Jan 2007
    Gold Canyon AZ
    643 times
    Billions of cellphones - thousands of detectors - don’t see a future with lots of detector repair shops. ML is famous for making 3rd party repairs difficult through grinding off part numbers, conformal coating everything, etc.
    Normsel likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    30376 times
    Here’s what ML wrote....”Yes customers will be able to purchase a new control box, armrest or shaft components if their out of warranty machine has become unusable.”

that says that they are unrepairable. don’t know if that’s what they meant, but the text - as it is - is plain.
    I think your reading too much into it, "unusable is when it can't be repaired. when I talked to Minelab in person I was told they would be doing repairs on the unit. ML is not going to build a detector where they have to install a whole new control box just because the LCD is bad or the keypad is bad ect, it would cost prohibitive for their warranty program. If the motherboard dies and your out of warranty then that may be where they sell a new control box.
    Inspector, sprailroad and Hawks88 like this.

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

us
    Sep 2012
    sd
    xp deus , Equinox 800
    714 times
    Metal Detecting
    I think your reading too much into it .

That is what happens in emails . How you word things and what you mean could go either way depending on the other persons perspective . Call and get a direct answer .Let me know what you find out .

Until then I am going with this .

when I talked to Minelab in person I was told they would be doing repairs on the unit .
    Last edited by 1942 merc; Apr 03, 2018 at 06:21 PM.
    GoDeep, DeepseekerADS and Hawks88 like this.
    South Dakota motto .....Steak , guns and fur . Don't mess with us .

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    30376 times
    Look at it this way, Minelab works on the entire Xterra series, warranty and non warranty and they cost less than the Equinox 600 or 800 costs. There will be after warranty repairs on the Nox, Minelab does warranty work then non warranty work on their detectors until they run out of parts on discontinued detectors.
    DeepseekerADS likes this.

2nd Amendment

USAF 1967-1971

No Expiration Date!

Apr 2015
    CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
    1329 times
    Metal Detecting
    Billions of cellphones - thousands of detectors - don’t see a future with lots of detector repair shops. ML is famous for making 3rd party repairs difficult through grinding off part numbers, conformal coating everything, etc.
    I wouldn't expect a detector repair shop to do this... just one individual who finds the most common easy to repair fault (charging circuit, buttons, etc), buys broken machines cheap on ebay, repairs them and flips them for a couple hundred bucks profit. Perhaps also offers to repair them as well. Time will tell.
    DeepseekerADS and Hawks88 like this.
    Minelab Equinox 800,Fisher CZ-21, Excalibur II

... waiting to see that elusive dowser on the beach with a bucket of gold rings ...

us
    Sep 2013
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon & Compadre
    1298 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Samuel View Post
    These are some of the reasons why I refused to purchase these detectors. Best of luck to those who purchase these detectors.
    So do you refuse to buy a flat screen TV also...since nearly all newer televisions are "throw away" units?
    Direct descendant of:
    Ezekiel Lamb 13th VA Inf. Co F, CSA
    Robert Wyant 33rd VA Inf. Co F, CSA
    Thornton Dean 10th VA Inf. Co I, CSA

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links