Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: 50 Tone Target Setting

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member

Apr 2013
    N.E. Ohio
    XP Deus, NOX 600
    1176 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I havent had a problem with the 600....but I do noise cancel and run auto or tracking ground balance....not sure why people think tracking or A.G.B is not the way to go?

I mostly relic hunt so there's really no need for 50 tones....5 tones works....may actually switch to 2 tones....non ferrous beep = dig.

Charter Member
    us
    Sep 2015
    Illinois
    Equinox 600 Garrett Carrot Nokta Waterproof Pinpointer Vibra-tector 730 Lesche 18" and 30" shovel's 4 fried chickens and a coke. And some dry white toast.
    2995 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sgoss66 View Post
    To the two gents talking about struggles hitting a 6" to 7" quarter, something is wrong. I am in Oklahoma red clay (i.e. not the mildest of soils), and I can hit a 10" quarter in my test garden. And, I have dug measured 8" deep pennies/dimes "in the field" with it. Furthermore, the 10" quarter in my test garden can be detected using Park 1's default settings.

As for tones, I run in 50 tones, and I think it's the best way to learn the machine as there's a very intelligent/nuanced language when running all 50 tones (but that would not affect the depth you could hit a quarter). If it were me, I'd encourage everyone to learn 50 tone -- and only after you understand the language consider switching to 5 tones if you so desired. But there is intelligent information, I believe, contained in the full 50 tones, that you "lose" by running only 5 tone bins. And it takes TIME to learn that language...

Steve
    I can relate to the learning the 50 tones. First time I used it, it was like, what the heck is going on here. So I flipped to 5 tone, but it was in the back of my head that when I used my ATP, I depended more on what the sound was telling me then anything else. I'm just going to start using the 50 tones, and go thru the learning process. It's just alot different then the AT, and probably alot of other detector's.
    "See your doctor if your detector has a detection for more then four hours!"

us
    Sep 2012
    sd
    xp deus , Equinox 800
    508 times
    Metal Detecting
    My ground is mild like fluffy top soil so tracking GB is not recommended . I have tried 0 GB and manual GB .Trying to find a clean area to GB on is difficult . I thought maybe I am not passing over any deeper targets ? I dug a mason jar lid at a foot deep yesterday through frozen ground .Fun fun .I put a quarter at seven inches and the tone and tdi is all over the place . I go over many targets that sound like the quarter so how much am I missing ?

After I dial the equinox in my next test will be getting permission on fresh ground starting with the equinox and then going back over the area with the deus to see what was missed . I have a permission pounded by the deus 10k gold ring many IHC barber dimes and quarters buffs and more .I ran out of signals and half of it is still frozen but the other half is not and I took the equinox over it with no luck yet , of course the depth issue so who knows .
    South Dakota motto .....Steak , guns and fur . Don't mess with us .

Charter Member
    us
    Sep 2015
    Illinois
    Equinox 600 Garrett Carrot Nokta Waterproof Pinpointer Vibra-tector 730 Lesche 18" and 30" shovel's 4 fried chickens and a coke. And some dry white toast.
    2995 times
    All take's time folks! Remember the 100 hour rule
    vferrari likes this.
    "See your doctor if your detector has a detection for more then four hours!"

us
    Jul 2010
    229 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AARC View Post
    You must have gotten one of the good ones.
    I agree. My Etrac won't even hit even get those results here in Texas clay. My 600 misses a long time buried 7" quarter. That quarter is near a 5" quarter and my circle drive. The Etrac can hit that thing. Is it a great signal? No.

I would hang onto that particular detector. All in all I am not seeing depth strength with the Equinox yet, but to it's defense, I ain't been to any area which hasn't been pounded and pounded. Logically, even these spots should pop a missed, deeper signal if the Equinox is a deep machine, coupled with enhanced separation. It certainly seperates in moderate and shallow conditions.

Apr 2015
    CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
    1237 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by 1942 merc View Post
    My ground is mild like fluffy top soil so tracking GB is not recommended . I have tried 0 GB and manual GB .Trying to find a clean area to GB on is difficult . I thought maybe I am not passing over any deeper targets ? I dug a mason jar lid at a foot deep yesterday through frozen ground .Fun fun .I put a quarter at seven inches and the tone and tdi is all over the place . I go over many targets that sound like the quarter so how much am I missing ?

After I dial the equinox in my next test will be getting permission on fresh ground starting with the equinox and then going back over the area with the deus to see what was missed . I have a permission pounded by the deus 10k gold ring many IHC barber dimes and quarters buffs and more .I ran out of signals and half of it is still frozen but the other half is not and I took the equinox over it with no luck yet , of course the depth issue so who knows .
    I've seen this is the quarter is on edge. The machine will not go deep on it, and it's all over the place.

I wonder if the frozen ground is giving you a hard time. Try cranking UP the ground balance an see what happens. Also I missed if you are using a 600 or 800.. if it's an 800 try turning up the vol in the headphones a bit more while turning sensitivity down a little. Do noise cancel and ground balance with sensitivity turned down to about 18. Do noise cancel with coil in the air.

Trying to think of anything that could help here.
    Last edited by flgliderpilot; Apr 12, 2018 at 07:54 PM.
    Minelab Equinox 800,Fisher CZ-21, Excalibur II

... waiting to see that elusive dowser on the beach with a bucket of gold rings ...

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2011
    Norman, OK
    Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Equinox 800
    495 times
    Metal Detecting
    Guys,

I am really struggling to understand all this! McKinney -- your Equinox won't detect...as in not at all...a 7" deep, long-buried quarter? Your E-Trac struggles with a 5" deep quarter? This makes NO SENSE. An E-Trac could hit a 5" quarter in Culpeper dirt, for crying out loud!

Something is not right here. I'd love to be able to somehow help all of you out who are struggling to detect these coins, but not sure how. I'm especially puzzled by 1942merc with the "mild, fluffy soil" and struggling to hit 6" coins with the Equinox. This is just not right...something is going on, and I would love to see this with my own eyes. With no more info to go on, I would be forced to wonder if these detectors are "faulty," but I'd exhaust every other option first. A six-inch coin -- unless the soil is extreme, or EMI is extreme, or unless there was a piece of iron masking the coin, or unless it's entirely on edge or otherwise "crippled" in some way -- should be a CINCH, a "no-brainer." My Equinox hits 6" coins as easily as it hits 1" coins...I am just completely flummoxed here.

IF you have a detector that will hit coins deeper, then I'd first suggest that the next time you hit what you suspect is a deep coin, DON'T DIG IT, but MARK it. And then, grab the Equinox and work around the coin with it, and see what happens. I promise you, the Equinox SHOULD be seeing any coin that any other machine can locate, very close to "equally as well," if not a bit better. If you told me your "machine of choice" can see a coin 1/2" deeper than the Equinox, OK -- maybe. But, it should be CLOSE, at the VERY least. In my dirt, it's actually a bit DEEPER than Minelab FBS (Explorer/E-Trac/CTX). I promise you that IF you TRULY "cannot detect" 6-inch coins, something is not right...ESPECIALLY if you have other machines that CAN...

Steve

Charter Member

Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600 Tesoro Tejon Tesoro Conquistador Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    2655 times
    Metal Detecting
    42 merc.....running that low of a recovery speed can actually hurt depth despite what the basic rule of thumb is. I'd try 6 or 7 and see what you get.
    vferrari likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2011
    Norman, OK
    Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Equinox 800
    495 times
    Metal Detecting
    AARC -- you are even in Florida dirt -- which is NOTORIOUSLY mild in most places. This is really strange.

Try this, gents...

Turn on the machine. Noise cancel. Then, set the coil on the ground, and keeping the machine from moving at all, adjust sensitivity downward, as needed, until the machine becomes stable. No chatter AT ALL. NOW, try to hit those 5-7" coins.

Same thing in the air test (someone said the machine struggled to hit a 7" quarter in an air test). Get away from EMI as best as you can. Then, noise cancel. Then, run sensitivity down until the machine is stable. THEN air test the quarter. 10" should be EASY. If it is not, something is wrong...

Steve
    HighVDI likes this.

Apr 2015
    1237 times
    Metal Detecting
    Need to try that dime at a different location... there might be something throwing off the machine... sewer pipe, burried junk, crate of nazi gold, etc.

... waiting to see that elusive dowser on the beach with a bucket of gold rings ...

Apr 2015
    1237 times
    Metal Detecting
    I detected yesterday, gridding a section of beach. I alternated between my own 3 tone mode, and 50 tone mode on each leg of the grid.

What I found was that in 3 tone mode a junk target would break a little... easy to hear in a single tone. In 50 tone mode, it would waver a little, but it also wavers on all targets a you approach the target at each end of the swing so it's not easy to identify.

I found in either mode I could easily (for known type of junk) recognize what was a pull tab, a cap, or foil before digging. BUT, I found that the 50 tone mode took me 3 times longer to do that. It took many more swings of varying length to narrow down the actual signal. I also found that in pocket spills, it was very difficult to determine what I was looking at in 50 tone mode. The tones are just going everywhere and target separation (audibly) was very difficult.

In 3 tone mode, I could separate the coins audibly easier and spot the quarter, and then the dime in the spill... and recognize it as a pocket spill.

Also, in 50 tone mode a penny was not as obvious as it is in my 3 tone mode, where the tone break is at 21. The penny bounces between 20 and 21 and it's teetering on mid-high tone (like an at pro). Very easy to recognize a penny. In 50 tone mode, I would get a mid-ish tone, but I could NOT identify it as a penny without looking at the display.

This is only beach hunting. I haven't tried water hunting in 50 tone, or relic hunting.

I think I just need more time on the mode so my brain can learn the pitches. Would probably have been easier to grasp if I was an Excal user prior.

I also did not notice any difference in depth. Both when deep at least 10".
    Last edited by flgliderpilot; Apr 16, 2018 at 10:16 PM.

Bharp

Dec 2016
    Savannah, GA
    XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
    1227 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by flgliderpilot View Post
    I've seen this is the quarter is on edge. The machine will not go deep on it, and it's all over the place.

I wonder if the frozen ground is giving you a hard time. Try cranking UP the ground balance an see what happens. Also I missed if you are using a 600 or 800.. if it's an 800 try turning up the vol in the headphones a bit more while turning sensitivity down a little. Do noise cancel and ground balance with sensitivity turned down to about 18. Do noise cancel with coil in the air.

Trying to think of anything that could help here.
    I was going to say the same thing. I initially was frustrated with the lack of depth on my 800. Then I noticed that the headphones have their own volume. Crank it up as well as the vol on the detector.

Feb 2013
    Western AR
    NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
    63 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bharpring View Post
    I was going to say the same thing. I initially was frustrated with the lack of depth on my 800. Then I noticed that the headphones have their own volume. Crank it up as well as the vol on the detector.
    Since most user coming from a Deus like you are reporting little modulation in tones, how would a increase in volume (assuming it was adequate to begin with) improve depth? Does the NOX whisper on deep - in 50 tones more than 5?
    Last edited by parkgt; Apr 16, 2018 at 03:20 PM.

Bharp

Dec 2016
    Savannah, GA
    XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
    1227 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by parkgt View Post
    Since most user coming from a Deus like you are report little modulation in tones, how would a increase in volume (assuming it was adequate to begin with) improve depth? Does the NOX whisper on deep - in 50 tones more than 5?
    For me all of the signals on the nox sounded faint initially. I wasnít getting signals for deep targets. I adjusted the volume on the headphones and I could hear the 8Ē quarters. The issue with modulation was that I couldnít tell the difference between the 2Ē quarter and the 8Ē quarter. Iím still have a little trouble with that one.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2007
    Mn.
    Minelab E-Trac
    1286 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Owassokie View Post
    I'm having the same problem. I'm guessing it's just me not understanding the machine yet but my 800 struggles to find a quarter at 7 inches in an air test. I'm super frustrated with that and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. All that said, I have very little time in the field with it so far so hopefully it's just me...not the detector.
    I tested the Equinox 800 and the 600 air test with a quarter and i get a good sound at 12 inches and less sound at 14 inches.
    The thing is you have to move the quarter fast and if you slow down to much you get less than 12 or nothing if to slow.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links