D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1942 I hit quarters and dimes at 12" quite frequently and at 8" all the time. I hit probably 7 quarters today at 8" or deeper. At 73 yrs old I don't like deep targets but I always dig them. Move your recovery speed to at least 5 maybe even 7 that will help believe it or not, move your sensitivity up or down depending on chatter. Actually I use factory settings other than sensitivity. In both park 1 and park 2

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It appears that people are brute force cranking down recovery speed and cranking up sensitivity to gain depth. This machine runs hot and it takes a little finesse to increase signal to noise ratio (NOT just the signal) which means: 1) You need to be in the right mode - if you want max depth on silvers and other high conductors, go with Park 1 or Field 1 which are biased to the lower weighted frequencies (i.e., higher conductors), 2) Get a sat Noise Cancel and GB (don't be afraid to use tracking if you have soil with mineralization that tracking can "grab" onto, otherwise go with auto or manual GB), 3) Don't try to maximize depth simply by upping gain/sensitivity because you will also be upping the noise floor. Keep it around 20, push it up maybe 2 points max and don't be afraid to push it down a couple of points if you are getting falsing - again, the goal is to get the machine to run quiet. 3) Don't just crank down on recovery speed to maximize depth, you may end up increasing ground noise on your swings and are then just lowering signal to noise ratio again because you are increasing the noise floor. 4) WHEN IN DOUBT, JUST STICK WITH (OR DON'T STRAY FAR FROM) THE MODE SETTING DEFAULTS - they work pretty well and have been established through extensive field testing.

Right, for more depth I've found it better to just increase the volume. It already goes surprisingly deep... you just can't always hear it unless you crank up the volume. Expect to be startled now and then lol.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll throw in my 2 cents. Found 2 dimes and a quarter at 12" yesterday. I was using Field 1 mode preset with no modification. And the pinpoint was dead nuts right on target. (I use a 600)

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll throw in my 2 cents. Found 2 dimes and a quarter at 12" yesterday. I was using Field 1 mode preset with no modification. And the pinpoint was dead nuts right on target. (I use a 600)

What were your recovery speed and iron bias?

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wish the soil around here allowed for those kind of depths. Illinois black dirt is nothing like the rocky soil in western AR. What they call topsoil here wouldn't even be considered good fill in the northern farm belt.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What were your recovery speed and iron bias?

EQ600 Field 1 mode preset defaults:

Recovery Speed = 3 (Equivalent to 6 Out of 8 on the 800)

Note that 3 is the maximum possible recovery speed setting on the 600.

Iron Bias = 0

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread