Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have the XP Deus and love it, however, I do have the possibilities to water detect some (fresh water) and have my AT Gold for that. I am really considering replacing the Gold with the Nox 600. it would be a lighter machine at least it looks like it should be. We have found small gold with the Gold, even a woman's gold necklace. would the 600 be capable of the smaller gold ear rings or chains? or is that more for the 800? thanks for any info/help DL

GroundBalanced

Aug 4, 2017
WestCoast-FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 600 can water hunt the same as the 800 (salt), but i don't know if the 800's additional GOLD frequencies can help you out in freshwater looking for gold nuggets/etc. Gold chains, rings, earrings, the 600/800 would be even in hitting those targets. Now HOW you hit them is different (different sounds available, different brightness on your display, different break points, etc) all can lead up to the 800 being a better experience for some people who rely on some of those things more than others. What i dont know is if the 800's gold mode would help out any more, in freshwater, since the 600 does not have those higher frequencies isolated (the 600 does do them in multi-mode, but cannot isolate the 2 higher frequencies).

jeg208

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you dont do gold prospecting, the 600 does everything the 800 does, minus tone customization and granular setting control. For my needs, the control settings are perfectly acceptable (honestly, most of the people on Youtube have reverted most of their "custom" control settings to factory or near factory), and I have no need for custom tone settings as I hunt in 50 tones.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 600 can water hunt the same as the 800 (salt), but i don't know if the 800's additional GOLD frequencies can help you out in freshwater looking for gold nuggets/etc. Gold chains, rings, earrings, the 600/800 would be even in hitting those targets. Now HOW you hit them is different (different sounds available, different brightness on your display, different break points, etc) all can lead up to the 800 being a better experience for some people who rely on some of those things more than others. What i dont know is if the 800's gold mode would help out any more, in freshwater, since the 600 does not have those higher frequencies isolated (the 600 does do them in multi-mode, but cannot isolate the 2 higher frequencies).

In multi IQ, the 600 uses the same "gold frequencies" (i.e., weighted combinations of 5, 10, 15, 20, and 40 khz) as the 800 for the modes that are common (Park/Field/Beach). The 800 adds a gold prospecting mode that has more Multi IQ optimization for gold prospecting and it is also a VCO (variable volume and pitch) audio vice tone audio mode. As far as fresh water gold jewelry hunting, you will do fine with the 600. For either the 600 or 800, depending on how wet you want to get, you may need to purchase the WP headphones. And even though wireless phones are NOT included with the 600, it is compatible with BT APTX Low Latency headphones out of the box so you can just purchase those separately from a third parties (see the various headphone threads here) for anywhere from $20 to $60.

Bottom line, yeah either the 600 or 800 are great freshwater gold machines.

relicmagnet

Feb 25, 2013
Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT Pro DMCIIB and At Pro Pinpointer
EQUINOX 600 offers 3 single frequencies of 5, 10, and 15 kHz, giving a 3-times range of 5 to 15 kHz.​

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EQUINOX 600 offers 3 single frequencies of 5, 10, and 15 kHz, giving a 3-times range of 5 to 15 kHz.​

This is true but really is almost a non-factor (more on that in a sec). Multi IQ (multifrequency mode - which the default frequency mode) uses various combinations of ALL FIVE frequencies (mentioned in my previous post) for BOTH the 600 and the 800, per the manual. This machine offers single frequency modes, but I have never used them. Everything is optimized around using the Multi IQ option. The are very few reasons why anyone should venture into single frequency operation: to check for junk target response (though I have found less cumbersome ways to do this with All Metal mode and with good understanding of the audio tone nuances) or if EMI forces you to a single frequency (very rare). Otherwise, 600 and 800 performance are nearly identical except for the slight differences in the recovery speed and iron bias settings (the 600 has slightly less maximum recovery speed than the 800 and slightly less ability than the 800 to adjust iron bias to reduce ferrous falsing - but the missing 600 settings at the extreme edge of the adjustment range of the 800).

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There could be the far off possibility of a gulf coastal venture, who knows but the Nox should be a lighter machine than the Gold. I have one spot that I might would get out in the water waist deep but I have to be conscious of the fact that I tend to trip and go down easily. I haven't seen exactly how the head phones hook up to the Nox, I know how the AT Gold does. To be able to use the wireless set up, the control box would have to be out of the water, correct?

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
also, just remembered that I have a Garretts Z-lynk, would this work with the 600?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There could be the far off possibility of a gulf coastal venture, who knows but the Nox should be a lighter machine than the Gold. I have one spot that I might would get out in the water waist deep but I have to be conscious of the fact that I tend to trip and go down easily. I haven't seen exactly how the head phones hook up to the Nox, I know how the AT Gold does. To be able to use the wireless set up, the control box would have to be out of the water, correct?
Yes, if you keep the control box out of the water you can go wireless but would want a pair of water or sweat resistant headphones.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also, just remembered that I have a Garretts Z-lynk, would this work with the 600?
Unfortunately, no. The wireless phones have to be bluetooth and the z-lynks are not, as they are similar but proprietary wireless technology. The 800s also come with a wireless WM08 proprietary receiver into which you can plug any wired set of headphones and work wirelessly from the detector, but you have to purchase that separately from with the 600 and the price of that WM08 module alone at $260 is GREATER than the price difference between the 600 and 800. Doh! You can also just use the wired phones that come with the 600 as the connector at the detector end is waterproof, you just want to avoid completely dunking them in the water.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Unfortunately, no. The wireless phones have to be bluetooth and the z-lynks are not, as they are similar but proprietary wireless technology. The 800s also come with a wireless WM08 proprietary receiver into which you can plug any wired set of headphones and work wirelessly from the detector, but you have to purchase that separately from with the 600 and the price of that WM08 module alone at $260 is GREATER than the price difference between the 600 and 800. Doh! You can also just use the wired phones that come with the 600 as the connector at the detector end is waterproof, you just want to avoid completely dunking them in the water.

if the connector of the wired phones that come with the 600 is waterproof, then that connector and cord can be wired to a pair of waterproof phones (if one is capable of doing so and I is from building hundreds of aircraft intercom cords in Air Force, something that I can still do LOL). Thanks Hugh. The wireless part of the decision....totally love that part with the Deus....decisions, decisions. may have to sell something else as well. Oh well, thanks again. Jerry

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, pretty sure you can canab the wired phone's connector and solder it to the end of some WP phones for a WP solution. Good DIY project.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A downside, as of now, with the NOX series in the water is the water friction drag the large 11" coil will create...once the 6" comes out it should be a dream in the water.

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, pretty sure you can canab the wired phone's connector and solder it to the end of some WP phones for a WP solution. Good DIY project.

the headphones that come with the equinox 600 does not have a waterproof connector...

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the headphones that come with the equinox 600 does not have a waterproof connector...

Thanks, you are right, I stand corrected. The wired headphones supplied with the 600 are in no manner waterproof and they do not provide a waterproof seal on the connector jack cavity on the control pod. Though, if you plug them into the 600 the watertight integrity of the control pod will not be compromised because the control pod jack has a waterproof internal seal. But if you get saltwater intrusion into the jack itself you risk contact corrosion and would need to figure out how to flush any residual salt water from the jack cavity itself.

I was mistakenly recalling the description of the ML adapter cable that enables you to plug a set of headphones with 1/4” jack into the Equinox control pod or the WM08 receiver. The plug end of the adapter cable uses the ML WP connector but the 1/4” jack end of the adapter cable is not waterproof. It is a moot point for now because the adapter cable WP connector which could be cannibalized, is, like the ML Equinox WP headphones, not presently available for sale.

Diggin-it

Jul 11, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, XP Deus, AT-Pro, F2, Minelab Equinox 800 on order..
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have several ATP's, and an XP Deas. Picked up an Equinox 600 an it is worlds better then the ATP. I don't have an AT Gold to compare but my buddy has the AT Max and the Equinox is much better. The price is the only thing thats close about those two machines. I have an 800 on order but don't really think I need it. Once you go into the water you will have to have wired headphones, radio signal does not transfer thru the water.

Here is a pair of Grey Ghost headphones I had custom modified with a waterproof Equinox connector so I can hit the water. Freshwater hunter.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Leave +1 and +2 open on discrimination and the 600 will hunt gold. Change the tone of 1 & 2 to a conduct tone. Also leave 12 -14 open because a lot of gold is found in the nickel range. You may hit some gold above 33 but 32 is more often than not trash.. 32 does have a nice ring but disappointing when you dig trash..lol

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
after a very long day at the VA hospital in Little Rock yesterday, where I had a long time to think things over, I believe that I can still use the Z-Lynk. The phones that come with the 600 are not BT or they would be wireless capable. The things needed to go wireless (BlueTooth) is the transmitter module and the receiver which would be the BT headset. The Z-Lynk set up is quite simple, it uses "any" detector's signal via the Transmitter being plugged into the control box. the signal is then transmitted (although not BT) to the receiver module where it can be used with whatever set of headsets or ear buds that you want to use (no BT at all). all that is needed for the Z-LYNK to work is a connection to the the control box. I understand that the wireless does not work under water. I believe that I am correct with this. If you were trying to use a set of BT phones, then yes, you would to have a BT module (MineLab) to get them to work. Hope this makes sense.

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
was just wondering why you would spec a mono connector ?

Waterproof-EQUINOX-Headphones.png

also can you unscrew the connector to see if it was waterproofed inside...most just use a two part epoxy,some just pass that step.

Attachments

• minelab-equinox-underwater-headphones-and-adapter.jpg.fc56381d72e9d349f610c25ccc017e61.jpg
    minelab-equinox-underwater-headphones-and-adapter.jpg.fc56381d72e9d349f610c25ccc017e61.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

glabelle

Apr 21, 2011
Dirtlooter, you are correct - you CAN use the Z-Link system with ANY detector. It has its own Tx and Rx.

I have the Z-Link system to use with my MXT, but for the 600, since it already has BT built in, I got the Avantree Audition Pro headphones and they pair nicely with the 600. Why add the weight and complexity of another add on?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread