Same yard, one more time, and the EQ sniffs out a few more!

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This morning, I went to that same 1904 house that I hunted several times with the CTX 3030, and then last week with the Equinox. I tried my darndest to find a gold ring, but it was not to be. HOWEVER, I DID manage to sniff out a few more coins that I had missed. It's getting hard, now...the Merc was buried in nails; I dug the plug FOUR TIMES (pulling out a nail each of the first three times, and with each one concluding that I must have just been hearing a high-tone nail false) before I finally unearthed the REAL source of that high-tone chirp I was hearing!!

Steve

4-23-18Finds-rotcrop.JPG

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice old coin finds! :occasion14:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
persistence pays off

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, all!

dirtlooter -- LOVE your signature! I have never considered that verse in the context of detecting! LOL!!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly what Dirtlooter said, dunno if I would have stuck with it, so great persistence paid off on the Merc. Nice.

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, vferrari!

Steve

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks all! Yep, Wayne, I can definitely say that I've found more coins in the hole with nails nearby, more frequently, with this machine versus others I've used. That's kind of a "qualitative" statement, without "hard data/numbers" as proof, but anecdotally this is definitely what I've experienced.

Steve

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
what strikes home and sticks with you is what and how you are doing something and get the kind of results that YOU want. Sometimes the results are subtle and it may take a while to fully realize for sure what you think is happening. Other times, the results speak more clearly or loudly and you know quickly without a doubt that there is a difference...for the good or the bad. When you know that you are getting better results, your confidence level shoots up-an awesome feeling for sure. Keep plugging away, the good stuff is waiting for you to swing over it.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice saves, Steve! Was the resolution getting better with one less nail each pass? LOL.

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
what strikes home and sticks with you is what and how you are doing something and get the kind of results that YOU want. Sometimes the results are subtle and it may take a while to fully realize for sure what you think is happening. Other times, the results speak more clearly or loudly and you know quickly without a doubt that there is a difference...for the good or the bad. When you know that you are getting better results, your confidence level shoots up-an awesome feeling for sure. Keep plugging away, the good stuff is waiting for you to swing over it.

Very true, dirtlooter. Well stated. I am at that point now where the confidence level is starting to really ramp up. For awhile, at the beginning, all I was hunting was a park that I have literally POUNDED to death, for 7 years, with FBS machines. This is now as difficult of a site to pull a keeper from as I can imagine. So, while the Equinox would give me a keeper or two from this park anytime I'd hunt it, it was LONG hours of hunting, for a couple of wheats, or a Buffalo nickel, or whatever. SO -- not enough "reps" to build a lot of confidence. Now, though, as I learn the machine, and am thus more consistently making finds -- some of them TOUGH finds, the confidence is really ramping up! It IS a great feeling, when that starts to happen.

Nice saves, Steve! Was the resolution getting better with one less nail each pass? LOL.

HighVDI -- truthfully, NO! It was a mess! If you would have seen me from off in the distance, digging, and then re-digging, and then digging again just off to the side, you'd have thought I was a first-time detectorist who didn't know how to pinpoint or something! The last nail, before finding the coin, was the final "masking" problem, because when I pulled the plug, laid it on the ground, and swept it (to see if the target was in the plug), I could finally hear a good, solid high-tone with 26-27 VDIs along with some iron grunts. So, I searched all through the plug, but all I could pull out of the plug was a straight nail. I thought "OK, now, NO WAY was that the cause of those solid, high-VDI high tones I just heard being produced by THIS nail...

...and then I finally figured it out; turns out, I was hearing the Merc UNDER that last plug that had the nail in it! With that final "masker" removed and in my plug, the coin was finally hitting clearly -- but from UNDER the plug! LOL! So, I had to dig a FOURTH "quarter moon" type of plug this time, just a tad off to the side of the original plug, to retrieve the finally-clear-sounding Mercury dime!

Steve

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Very true, dirtlooter. Well stated. I am at that point now where the confidence level is starting to really ramp up. For awhile, at the beginning, all I was hunting was a part that I have literally POUNDED to death, for 7 years, with FBS machines. This is now as difficult of a site to pull a keeper from as I can imagine. So, while the Equinox would give me a keeper or two from this park anytime I'd hunt it, it was LONG hours of hunting, for a couple of wheats, or a Buffalo nickel, or whatever. SO -- not enough "reps" to build a lot of confidence. Now, though, as I learn the machine, and am thus more consistently making finds -- some of them TOUGH finds, the confidence is really ramping up! It IS a great feeling, when that starts to happen.

HighVDI -- truthfully, NO! It was a mess! If you would have seen me from off in the distance, digging, and then re-digging, and then digging again just off to the side, you'd have thought I was a first-time detectorist who didn't know how to pinpoint or something! The last nail, before finding the coin, was the final "masking" problem, because when I pulled the plug, laid it on the ground, and swept it (to see if the target was in the plug), I could finally hear a good, solid high-tone with 26-27 VDIs along with some iron grunts. So, I searched all through the plug, but all I could pull out of the plug was a straight nail. I thought "OK, now, NO WAY was that the cause of those solid, high-VDI high tones I just heard being produced by THIS nail...

...and then I finally figured it out; turns out, I was hearing the Merc UNDER that last plug that had the nail in it! With that final "masker" removed and in my plug, the coin was finally hitting clearly -- but from UNDER the plug! LOL! So, I had to dig a FOURTH "quarter moon" type of plug this time, just a tad off to the side of the original plug, to retrieve the finally-clear-sounding Mercury dime!

Steve

Nice! I too just recovered a merc surrounded by iron very similarly to this a couple hunts ago.

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice, HighVDI. This unit seems to be pretty good at that... ;)

Steve

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice saves sir! You are killing it. Persistence pays off.

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Owassokie! I'm having some fun with the machine, for sure!

Steve

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest: