Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So this is the short and sweet (still kinda long) haha

I was calling some places to get time frames on an Equinox 600. I was transferred to a sales rep with Kelly Co. When I told him I was looking at time frames on the Equinox 600, he told me a couple things that didn't sit well with me. I don't know if it was a salesman lying to make a sale or ignorance... either way I'll let you guys be the judge.

1. When asking about availability he said "The Equinox series can only be pre-ordered, no dealer will have them in stock." When I pressed him and said "well some places have been getting their dealer units and selling them, like Cabela's and sometimes you can get lucky and find them in stock." He replied with "No that's not how the Equinox series is being processed by Minelab."
Okay fine, whatever, I'm not going to argue.

2. He said that for about a $100 more I can get a much better machine in the Makro Multi-Kruzer. Then he went on and on and listed the specs and why it was better than the Equinox series. This is the part that kind of irritates me. He stated "The Makro Multi Kruzer operates at 5, 14, and 19 khz; where the Equinox only operates at 5, 10, 15 khz." To dig for info I said... "I thought the Equinox 600 could run also at the 20 & 40 in Multi-Iq, but they just weren't selectable as individual frequencies?" He said "Nope, the 600 does not have the 20 and 40 frequencies at all." So then I told him I'm on the website right now and it says {Read verbatim the minelab info graph on the website stating that when in multiIQ the 600 runs at 20 & 40 as well}". He said "No that is incorrect, it is not on the Equinox at all. Minelab hasn't even said which frequencies Multi-Iq runs on, which is why the Makro Multi-Kruzer is a much better deal than the Equinox." I said "But I'm reading it right off the Minelab website?" He said "That must be a misprint then, blah blah blah"

I hope someone from Minelab and KellyCo read these boards and can fix some of this misinformation out there. I'm sure he was just trying to BS me into the Makro, but who knows.

The Multi-Iq infograph Link.
https://www.minelab.com/usa/metal-detectors/underwater-use/equinox-600

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And what if the sales rep is right?

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And what if the sales rep is right?

Then he somehow got the right info and thousands of others did not. I'm thinking thats not likely though.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say this because i deal with manufactures all the time and they don't always put out the right info. Marketing sometimes screws it up.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So this is the short and sweet (still kinda long) haha

I was calling some places to get time frames on an Equinox 600. I was transferred to a sales rep with Kelly Co. When I told him I was looking at time frames on the Equinox 600, he told me a couple things that didn't sit well with me. I don't know if it was a salesman lying to make a sale or ignorance... either way I'll let you guys be the judge.

1. When asking about availability he said "The Equinox series can only be pre-ordered, no dealer will have them in stock." When I pressed him and said "well some places have been getting their dealer units and selling them, like Cabela's and sometimes you can get lucky and find them in stock." He replied with "No that's not how the Equinox series is being processed by Minelab."
Okay fine, whatever, I'm not going to argue.

2. He said that for about a $100 more I can get a much better machine in the Makro Multi-Kruzer. Then he went on and on and listed the specs and why it was better than the Equinox series. This is the part that kind of irritates me. He stated "The Makro Multi Kruzer operates at 5, 14, and 19 khz; where the Equinox only operates at 5, 10, 15 khz." To dig for info I said... "I thought the Equinox 600 could run also at the 20 & 40 in Multi-Iq, but they just weren't selectable as individual frequencies?" He said "Nope, the 600 does not have the 20 and 40 frequencies at all." So then I told him I'm on the website right now and it says {Read verbatim the minelab info graph on the website stating that when in multiIQ the 600 runs at 20 & 40 as well}". He said "No that is incorrect, it is not on the Equinox at all. Minelab hasn't even said which frequencies Multi-Iq runs on, which is why the Makro Multi-Kruzer is a much better deal than the Equinox." I said "But I'm reading it right off the Minelab website?" He said "That must be a misprint then, blah blah blah"

I hope someone from Minelab and KellyCo read these boards and can fix some of this misinformation out there. I'm sure he was just trying to BS me into the Makro, but who knows.

The Multi-Iq infograph Link.
https://www.minelab.com/usa/metal-detectors/underwater-use/equinox-600

Do you remember his name, I personally know Kellyco management?

erte

Mar 19, 2017
Croatia
Detector(s) used
gpx 4800, tdi pro, sov gt/xs, sand shark 10.5'', vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'm sad to say it but i think i have to agree with the rep about nox 600 specs, i just looked at the minelab link you posted and it states below the picture of frequencies under other technologies...

''3Fx 3 EQUINOX 600 offers 3 single frequencies of 5, 10, and 15 kHz, giving a 3-times range of 5 to 15 kHz.''​

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe my distributor (non-supporting vendor) Buddy Webb

Last edited by a moderator:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it operates at the same in multi.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'm sad to say it but i think i have to agree with the rep about nox 600 specs, i just looked at the minelab link you posted and it states below the picture of frequencies under other technologies...

''3Fx 3 EQUINOX 600 offers 3 single frequencies of 5, 10, and 15 kHz, giving a 3-times range of 5 to 15 kHz.''​

And this is on the 800 page

" 5Fx 8 EQUINOX 800 offers 5 single frequencies of 5, 10, 15, 20 and 40 kHz, giving an expanded 8-times range of 5 to 40 kHz.​"

Last edited:

erte

Mar 19, 2017
Croatia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i just saw this under the picture in light color on the link..
''* 20 kHz and 40 kHz are not available as single operating frequencies in EQUINOX 600. The Multi-IQ frequency range shown applies to both EQUINOX 600 and 800. This diagram is representative only. Actual sensitivity levels will depend upon target types and sizes, ground conditions and detector settings''

so i guess the rep was actually wrong...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both the 600 and 800 run identical frequencies in Multi IQ, it is only the choice of single frequencies that is different with 600 only having 5, 10 and 15 khz as a choice for individual freqs and 800 has the additional 20 and 40 khz freq as well as the 5, 10, and 15 khz.

Last edited:

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
IMO, he was very careful with steering you to the Makro. Does he have dis-information? I would say so. He is trying to get a sale so use your best judgment to what his motives would be.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you explain the difference between 3Fx 3 on the 600 and 5Fx 8 on the 800?
As i read them, one has a range of 5 to 15 and the other has a range of 5 to 40

Also, why is the statement under the graph ghosted out while everything else is bold?

Last edited:

Jacza

Apr 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
other advantages

The Multi Kruzer has also other advantages, f.e. the s-shaft, a deep mode, E.U.D. feature (extra underground depth), ultra fast recovery speed (see nail test), better audio tones or a coil designed for better target separation (see https://youtu.be/aPw2iFIxGsw?t=11m56s)

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
I called kellyco about a month ago, and the salesman also tried to sell me the Macro. He never brought up the fact that the EQ runs all frequencies at the same time. I don't think the Kruzer is selling to well. Not seeing a whole lot of posts compared to the EQ.

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We really need to get a Nox 600 in this guy's hands to put an end all this misinformation:

He'd probably triple his subscribers from testing the Nox's frequencies alone.

erte

Mar 19, 2017
Croatia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you explain the difference between 3Fx 3 on the 600 and 5Fx 8 on the 800?
As i read them, one has a range of 5 to 15 and the other has a range of 5 to 40

Also, why is the statement under the graph ghosted out while everything else is bold?

i agree also that's why i personally can't trust the nox 600 spec for multi, maybe someone with a nox 600 can test the emitted multi freq using a frequency counter like an example from above video

description of above video:

''Several forums that I have read discuss operating frequency of their detectors. How can I measure the frequency and perhaps power output? What is the best VLF range. Well, here is a method I came up with. I did not spend a lot of time fixturing the detectors at certain heights or angles, just wanted to see if I could capture the signal. I was impressed with the clean symmetrical signal radiating off the search coil. You can perform a similar test using an inexpensive frequency counter. Just connect a small coil of wire rather than the telescopic antenna...''

Last edited:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO, he was very careful with steering you to the Makro. Does he have dis-information? I would say so. He is trying to get a sale so use your best judgment to what his motives would be.

You may be right, All sales people know that once you hang up, the likelihood of a sale goes down dramatically. Keep em on the phone and sell then something else.
The question to be asked is...how does Kellyco pay and treat the sales staff? Are they putting unrealistic pressure on the sales staff? Are the sales staff paid on commission only?

Then again, maybe the salesman truly believed what he was telling the customer.

OP
OP
W

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you remember his name, I personally know Kellyco management?

His name was Steve. Seemed nice enough but liked to talk over me.
On another forum a memeber shared an email screenshot directly from Minelab Engineering confirming the 600 runs on all 5 frequencies in Multi

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know for a fact 600 and 800 are identical in multi-iq mode.

Here is something I found that might help some people.

Equinox Comparrison Chart.png ............................... Difference Between Equinox 600 And 800.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions