Today's in-the-field comparisons between the Equinox and CTX...

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A real-world hunting report, from earlier today, at a local public park.

I was hunting with my CTX and 17" coil; sensitivity manual 25, ferrous discrimination only, 50 tones, Ferrous-coin separation, deep off, fast off. My buddy was hunting his Equinox, Park 1, 23 sensitivity, recovery 5, iron bias 2, 50 tones, no disc.

I was moving along slowly, and "hunting deep," and I hit a soft, repeatable high-tone that I figured was a coin -- around 12-39 to 12-41, so I figured wheat cent. Depth meter showed about 9"-10". I dug, and it was indeed an 8" to 8 1/2" deep 1920 wheat cent. I filled the hole, and started swinging again.

A foot away, I hit a very similar signal, but this one just a bit less repeatable. There were a couple of angles where it was hard to get an audio signal on, maybe one out of every 3 or 4 passes I'd get a tone; most angles though, it was fairly repeatable, giving a good, soft high tone on 3 out every 4 sweeps. I could tell this one was nearer the depth limits of the CTX (at least in my dirt, for my skill level), and the depth meter was showing 10" to 11". Again, 12-39, 12-40 type reading. So, pretty sure I had another deep coin, as part of a "pocket spill," this time I called my buddy over to give a listen with his Equinox. He got a soft, entirely repeatable high tone as he rotated and "Minelab wiggled" the target, average ID readings in the mid 20s, right around 25. He guessed copper/wheat cent. So, I handed him the CTX to listen (he knew how to interpret the CTX, as his "other machine" that he's used for nearly 10 years is an E-Trac), and he felt the CTX signal was similar to, or maybe not quite as good as, the Equinox. So, next, I listened to the target on the Equinox, and concurred. The signal was indeed a bit more consistent/repeatable on the Equinox as I worked the target. I dug it, and it was a 9" deep 1928 wheat cent. So, I filled the hole, and started sweeping again.

Less than a foot away, I got a repeatable-from-all-directions but inconsistent-sounding signal. I would NOT have dug this signal normally, as it would not have caught my attention if I were just "moving along, hunting normally." It was all over the place, audio-wise, ID numbers teens to mid 20s, more 20s than teens. BUT -- being less than a foot away from the two wheats I just dug, I was listening carefully for ANY repeatable tone, to see if there were any more coins -- and so I gave this one way more attention than I normally would have. That plus the fact that it was showing 8" to 10" on the depth meter, had me interested. Again, moving along hunting "regularly," and not scrutinizing every sound because of working a "pocket spill," the predominantly high teens and 20s ID numbers, and audio "all over the place," would NOT have caught my attention enough in this trashy park for me to stop to investigate. One final reason I was interested, was that I knew this is how a fringe-deep nickel behaves in my test garden. Nowhere near nickel ID, generally upper teens and 20s. So, I called my buddy back over with his Equinox. I was almost sure he was going to get a very solid-reading, 12-13 IDing target, as I was almost sure it was going to be a deep nickel at this point, and I knew that lots of 12s, and a few 13s, is generally how my Equinox behaves on deep nickels. And that's exactly what he got. A solid, repeatable-from-all-directions 12-13 signal, with an occasional blip of 11, or 14. Mostly 12's. I let him listen on the CTX, and he said "wow, those tones are all over the place." I told him that that is why I dig few deep nickels with the CTX. He let me listen on the Equinox -- a perfectly diggable, easy-to-call nickel-type signal. So I dug it, and it was about an 8" deep Buffalo.

Finally, about 5 minutes later, about 10 feet away from the other 3 coins, I got another deep, repeatable high tone. This one showed 8" to 10" deep, with mainly upper 30s to around 40 CO numbers. I called over my buddy, and it was the same as on the first wheat he listened to -- low to mid 20s, with an occasional higher ID, soft but solid and repeatable. I popped the plug on this one, and the numbers for me were now showing a bit lower -- 12-37s in the plug. At that point, reading a bit lower "in the plug" than it did in the ground, we both guessed Indian instead of wheatie. Sure enough, about an 8" deep 1898 Indian Head penny.

My long-winded point in all of this, is to share a direct, in the field, head-to-head comparison of the Equinox to the CTX on three different, un-dug targets. This perfectly mirrors the results in my test garden, with the Equinox being just as deep, if not a tad bit more solid on each of the targets I have buried -- pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters (with the largest advantage in the Equinox's favor showing up on the nickels, but still a small advantage on all the coins). This also mirrors most of the comments on this forum, from other hunters hunting deep coins. It's for real, guys. While there are still things the CTX does better (such as providing better "dig decision" information, visually, in a much more thorough way, AND allowing you to avoid more trash, more easily), the Equinox is a very, very impressive performer. Just as deep if not a tad deeper, and a better hunter in trash/iron...

5-4-18Findsrotcrop.JPG

Steve

Last edited:

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very interesting information indeed, ty

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the in-depth report and comparison. It lends credence to what other Nox/CTX comparisons have shown. These are both very powerful and advanced machines and anyone with either should feel lucky to own one!

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you Steve for the clear and concise review of these two detectors side by side. I was right there on the hunt with you. Congratulations on the nice finds!

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Rusty! Hopefully the info helps. I was impressed; not surprised, but impressed with the Equinox on those targets. It's quite the machine.

Steve

DigDeepNow

Jul 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks - very helpful post

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice comparison digs, that is what Smokey and I did with the Equinox and Deus on relics but it was hard to get a good comparison because the site was pounded, high mineralization, and trashy which limited the natural targets we could use as comparisons.

Last edited:

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, I'm just surprised you do. Last time I did a CTX/Equinox comparison, a couple of months back, and stated similar results, you told me I was just an idiot Equinox fanboy...

Steve

funny how things can change...8-)

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice comparison digs, that is what Smokey and I did with the Equinox and Deus on relics but it was hard to get a good comparison because the site was pounded, high mineralization, and trashy which limited the natural targets we could use as comparisons.

Yep, that's ALWAYS the challenge, isn't it? Finding the "right" targets, at the right time, so that the comparisons can be done. So often, when you do locate a target worthy of "comparison," your buddy is too far away to catch his attention! ;) Other times, you have the best of intentions on a given hunt, but just don't locate good targets to compare. This was a good hunt, in that regard. It doesn't always work out that well, as you know!

Steve

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did I read right, your 17" coil equipped CTX was hitting similar depth to your 11" coiled EQ800?

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
good comparison and that is what we all hope to be able to do, can be a real eye opener sometimes

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did I read right, your 17" coil equipped CTX was hitting similar depth to your 11" coiled EQ800?

Yes, sir...

Steve

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dirtlooter-- thanks!

flgliderpilot -- I know, it's a little hard to believe.

Here's what I can say. Results may be different in other dirt, in other areas. BUT -- most of what I read confirms what I experience, which is that the Equinox is indeed as deep as the CTX. While I've only been running the CTX for about 6 months, I ran an Explorer SE Pro for 7 years before. The CTX and Explorer are similar, in terms of depth capability in my dirt (11" coil to 11" coil). VERY little, if any difference. My deepest dime/penny dig with the Explorer in our red/irony Oklahoma dirt was 9"; that's the limit here (at least for me). With the CTX and 17" coil, I've managed a 10" deep wheat (though in a site with less severe dirt, in northeastern Oklahoma), and I might be able to go a tad deeper. But here, in the central Oklahoma red dirt, that 9" deep wheat yesterday was pushing it. So was a similar-depth wheat I managed a couple of weeks ago.

So, given all of this, I was really, really impressed to do a side-by-side, and actually listen to both machines, on a 9" wheat, and see the Equinox giving what both my partner and I would agree was a slightly, tiny bit "better" of a read on that target. Now, I have dug a few 8" coins with the Equinox, and they were not "iffy," so it's not that I didn't think it was capable. It's just that having both machines in hand, over three deep targets, and listening to the responses from both machines...

Impressive, is all I can say. It was fortuitous that it was a pocket spill of deep coins, which allowed us a little mini "laboratory" to do some machine comparing; test gardens are helpful, but in the field is where it's at, and to me, this answered a lot of questions for both myself and my hunting buddy.

Steve

Last edited:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hey I totally understand the red clay, I have it all here. mostly the clay and clay mixtures but occasionally you find an area of actual dirt. the rocks here are terrible, had a guy doze my 5 acres so I could build my house back in the 82, the sheer number of rocks looked like a fresh potato harvest. when the clay gets hard, it is chisel hard LOL. I think most of our dirt washed down to Louisiana from all of the old clear cutting years ago. sounds like the Nox will be a lighter machine for you too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread