Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m digging deep in a sand grass old park. It’s next to a sand filled bayou and when it overflows it leaves inches on sand over the entire park and the smooth it out but grass grows on top, but the sand goes deep. My problem is I have a found brass 1858 US military hat pin 1 1/2” long at a foot deep, but I’m also hitting aluminum can sometimes a foot and a half deep. They sound/vdi very similar is there something I can do to distinguish between the two? Any advice is appreciated.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
lifting the coil up higher to see? knowing my luck, would be a jar of silver LOL

jeg208

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah lift the coil is probably the easiest. If you only get a single beep (not the double beep of the DD coil on a shallow target) and can raise the coil up 10" and still get a hit, it's a big ol piece of something. Additionally, notice how big the response is, not a tight small response like a coin or button. Finally, the audio will clip a bit usually from different angles because if the odd shape

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you get the next target that sounds like a can, try switching your mode / freq, and see if the VDI changes. You may be able to use that as a guide.:skullflag:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
switch to pinpoint mode. Try to determine the shape and size. If it's big you can (usually) assume it's a can, or chip bag, etc. But, hey it could also be an iPhone. Roll the dice depending on how much time you have to hunt.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And remember, dig it anyway. I was with some guys two weeks ago that didn't follow that rule and cleaned up. Don't over rely on the machine.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dig anything that repeats even close to a high tone and isn't a blasting signal. I've dug deep silver with my 800 that sounded identical to 10" aluminum shards. I agree with Smokey.....unless it's the obvious can slaw signal.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And remember, dig it anyway. I was with some guys two weeks ago that didn't follow that rule and cleaned up. Don't over rely on the machine.

I have 10 can in my bag when I found the brass 1858 US infantry hat pin. They sounded just I like. But I’m hitting a foot and a half can. Ugggh

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember my post where everybody at the group dig walked over the "obvious" can and it was a Rev War belt plate?????

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah. Here's a picture of it. IMG_0176.jpg

And here is the original posting.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/m...ndian-revolutionary-war-cross-belt-plate.html

Last edited:

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy COW!! That is simply AMAZING, smokey!

Incredible dig! CONGRATS!!!!

Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions