cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I played with switching to 10khz over the weekend. I'd find a target which was say 12, and then switch to 10khz, and it would real higher, perhaps 16. I'd dig it, trash. This was repeatable. I found some targets which rang up as 20-21. We all think PENNY! But, switching to 10khz, these were showing 24-25. When I dug them, each time, they were copper roofing nails... flat like a penny with a little curved spike. After a few holes I was able to predict these things 100%.

Then I got a nice 12... switched to 10khz, and it was still a 12. Dug it, and it was a ring : ) Did this again and it was a war nickel.

Then I hit a low hit...2.. strong. Very repeatable, solid, loud. I'm hoping for a chain. I switch to 10khz, and I get nothing. Ok, so it's small or thin.

It was a thin foil, perhaps from a cigar, or gum wrapper, not sure.

So I've now permanently set up 10khz as the user mode for further experimentation. So far it has been handy. Sort of like the two sets of numbers you get on a CTX.. looking at both numbers you can get a better idea of what you are looking at.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FWIW I tried this 10khz verification method today at the beaching the wet sand. It does not work there at all.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you have to switch out of beach mode into Park or Field to do the single frequency shift, they don't like the wet sand and you probably can't balance them under those conditions so they will false. Is that what you were experiencing?

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok, this is going to mess you all up. So, I recently had the oppertunity to check a white gold diamond engagement ring. In case you dont know, the engagement ring is the bigger of the wedding set. I used a Gold Racer and my trusty Compadre. To my surprise, the ring didn't have a crisp sound unless it was flat on the ground. I determined I was hearing the facets and it made it sound like junk. Scratchy like a bottle cap only a little worse. Holy moly, I thought, how many diamond encrusted rings have I passed up at the beach? Dang! So, I went back to some of my favorite spots and LISTENED differently. I found 4 rings in a week. Not worth anything, but, I wasnt finding any before. Now, on a side note, look this up if you haven't heard this, white gold is yellow gold with a plating. I bought this enguagement ring with a lifetime warranty. After 2 months, the ring, to our surprise began to start looking like gold in places. I researched that the plating must be wearing off. I took it back to the store and they said no problem, they will send it out for replating. We got it back and its all shiny like chrome. That white gold is only white on the outside guys. Inside, it's real gold. The numbers are because of the coating. Factor in size and the facets and your probably listening to a scratchy ball of foil and your numbers will be backing that up. Dig or loose out is my motto now. Who cares how many pieces of junk you get. Then there's time I set the Compadre for zinc and nothing unmaskes better for coins . That gives me my victory fix!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember my first "screen" detector... Garrett 2500...

I spent more time looking at the screen judging... OR adjusting it.

I admit... it was cool to kinda try and figure out what it was I was about to dig... but in the end I was usually digging anyway.

After awhile I found myself staring at a screen all the time... which to me kinda robbed me of my detecting bliss.

So I sold it with all other screen detectors I owned...

I like sounds better... that way I can look at the views and I like to keep my head on a swivel as well.

I take in a whole lot more in the general sense of outdoors... and I am free'er in my mind and eyes and hands...

When I hear a sound I like I stop... if I don't I just keep going... but many days I will just dig it all anyway.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS... would love for a detector company to focus MORE on sound than sight.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS... would love for a detector company to focus MORE on sound than sight.

Equinox (50 tones) or Deus (full tones), then....or Tesoro.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the EQ's 50 tones, it may be something that I already have a handle on, in that I have a Safari that I often use that has the same thing, when I do receive the EQ, I'll need to see if the "tones" kind of match up on any given target, if so then I'm good to go. As far as VDI's?, We'll see, use them as a "reference" point only, they DO and CAN jump around somewhat, but I think that would be true for any machine.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first Gold Ring ever rand up as a zinc penny on my ACE 250, the only reason I found it was I was thinking it may be an Indian, but nope...just a stinking 11gram 10K ring...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember my first "screen" detector... Garrett 2500...

Arrg disregard that...

First one was Sovereign top mount... THEN an Whites IDX... THEN the Garrett... which is where I "dropped off" and out of the "readout detectors"...

In fact just got rid of the ole IDX not long ago to a buddy who wanted to take his son detecting for his first time.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first Gold Ring ever rand up as a zinc penny on my ACE 250, the only reason I found it was I was thinking it may be an Indian, but nope...just a stinking 11gram 10K ring...

This is why the only "read out" I trust...

Is in my scoop :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread