Found a place the 800 didnt like

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@vferrari , I only have the 600 so I can't speak for the 800 detector. However, I've never hit close to 15" on sand or even in an air test for that matter. Both don't get the same depth? I go hunting with another Nox owner who has an 800 and has been using a Minelab since the early 90's. He also has wild VDI numbers and eratic behavior in some areas on salty beaches. Coincidence ?Or Maybe just part of a bad batch of Nox detectors? Who knows.(I too use beach mode while at the beach). I'll admit that YES, it could be my fault AND I'm overlooking a setting or an environmental factor on random beach hunts. .
-Either way...I'm STILL No Nox fan.. not YET ANYWAYS.

No detector is for everybody...that is a given. if the AT Pro works for you then that is the best detector for you.

All I know is no detector, save for the the Excal II (which is an expensive, heavy, but deep one trick pony), has run this quiet and has been as effective on the beach for me than the Equinox and I have also tried - Deus, AT Pro,and the MX Sport which have all had to have their sensitivities turned down to unacceptable levels to prevent wet salt sand falsing.

For me, the Equinox has been especially effective on mid-conductors (nickels and gold) at depth in wet sand and surf. I have even pulled some deep wheats off my local park beach at depth, one was mixed in with a steel wire, but the signal just said dig me. If the VDI is stable (i.e., solid or bouncing no more than 2 to 5 points) then I dig it and sometimes make the call to dig on unstable signals if I suspect multiple targets in the hole as was the case with the wheatie above and with a coin and fish hook I pulled out of the hole yesterday. Drawbacks are it likes really small targets and if they fall outside the very low obvious VDI foil range (with accompanying "hollow" sounding audio), can be really annoying. Recovered some very small fishing weights, button pieces, and other small solid but small non-ferrous metallic items.

Attachments

• 20180512_105021.jpg
    20180512_105021.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 52
  • 20180310_173647.jpg
    20180310_173647.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 62
  • 20180310_134719.jpg
    20180310_134719.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 59
  • 20180310_173543.jpg
    20180310_173543.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have hunted over buried electrical lines and close to many power poles and even a sub station with no emi problems. As far as the beach goes mine is very quiet and run sensitivity around 20.

I don't ground balance or anything.. I have never even adjusted for chatter. I never carry my phone with me either..

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had some interference on my Deus yesterday, an underground dog fence, I just changed the frequency and problem solved. If you're running multi frequency, you might just want to pick a single frequency that doesn't bother it.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For EMI this should be the order of battle to reduce it:

1. Auto Noise Cancel (need to do this for each mode used with coil off the ground - hip height)

2. Manual Noise Cancel if not satisfied (800 only - don't be afraid to manually flip through the channels to see if auto missed a quiet channel - worth a shot if you have the feature)

3. Lower Sensitivity - sometimes just a few clicks is needed. I would not be afraid to get it down near 15 (13 to 17), if necessary. I don't have scientific proof, but the machine is hot and sensitive as it is. I think you can get away with some serious sensitivity reduction before you start really dropping off depth capability. Its all about signal to noise ratios with Equinox. Getting it to run stable and quiet. The engineers have given the machine a serious detection engine and sometime you just need to throttle back a little and you can get a huge benefit on noise reduction without killing raw signal gain. The result is a HIGHER signal-to-noise ratio at lower sensitivities. And a net increase in detection capability vice trying to continue to run it at 20 or above with noise present.

4. Switch modes from your desired mode. Since each mode uses a different Multi IQ frequency spectrum, you may actually have luck kicking the noise with a simple mode change. Don't forget to Noise Cancel and GB, as necessary.

5. If all of the above fail, go to single frequency and pick one that has no interference, if possible. You lose multi IQ but at least you still have a hell of a single frequency detector in your hands.

6. Try notching/discing out problematic regions. If the noise is limited to certain VDI readings, you can try notching those out to see if that helps with you sanity, especially if you do not care about or can live without detecting targets in those ranges. Sometimes you just gotta go for the silver (high numbers) or nickel/gold (mid numbers) if you can't listen for both.

HTH

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glenn 37216, I can't really answer your original question.:dontknow:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too recently bought a Nox... and have noticed it doesn't like sandy areas even after groundbalancing. I'm begining to think I jumped on the hype wagon way too soon. No matter the tweaked settings , I'm just not impressed with machine and what its finding.

You need to check your startup procedure I think... noise cancel, gb, and turn down sens.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't move the pier very well. I was at a competitive dig yesterday and the organizers were getting complaints about some machine interfering with others. That is a big no no and PI's are banned at most competitive digs. On the 2nd dig of the day my machine started getting all kind of interference. I stopped a second to see what kind of machine/who was nearby. It was a Nox 800. I followed the Nox for about 30 seconds and the closer I got the worse it was. I moved away and problem solved.

Extrapolating on that I would do a couple things. Check it in salt water somewhere else. Was there another Nox within 30 feet of you? If not fixed after that it may be giving off way too much whatever it gives off. If fixed, it's another Equinox user too close or the place you were digging. I'd call Minelab.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread