Equinox 800...anyone getting better depth and target ids on 5 MHz vs Multi?

hageneyr

Aug 25, 2017
Downingtown, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

Have about 100 hours on my 800...continue to do real well with it on my hammered old parks in the Philly suburbs. 25 + silvers and 100+ wheaties so far. Coming off an AT Pro which i loved and mastered. Im still learning the 800 and spend a lot of time on T.net and utube learning tips/tricks. I also had the operators manual printed and bound.

I have found recently that i get good quality signals when running in 5 MHz in Park 1 or 2 mode. Signals that i dont get when running in multi. Ive recently took to running in multi and when getting an “iffy” signal ill switch to 5 Mhz and confirm it.

More recently ive been avoiding multi and just running at 5 mhz and digging a ton of deep coins. Though i dont think 5 Mhz hits nickels very well.

A question...if ur running at 5 MHz with all gb, recovery speed, sense and iron all the same...do different modes even make a difference?

I still need to learn best customized coin program where i can set tones and breaks and tone volumes. I just havent made the time to do that yet.

One other comment about my first 100 hours....the 800 has really caused me some elbow pain. To the point i have to take a week off. I dont know if its a balance or design thing but my inner elbow is really beat up. Has anyone made any adjustment to the 800 that has made it more ergonomic in this regard? Its a bummer im in so much pain swinging this thing..and i aint that old (50).

Take care all!

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro, Pro pointer AT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been bouncing around to confirm iffy signals as Well! I had to lower the arm cuff some (when I discovered I couldn't bring the grip back) it's weird having the shaft stick out of the back end but feels better.

I'm also coming off an ATPro.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I adjusted the length of the main shaft and moved the cuff.. I have about 130+ hours on my E-800 and no balance issues.. I am 73 yrs old and swing it at least 2 hours a day many days twice a day.

If the main shaft is to long it gets heavy in a hurry.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I detect 4 days a week 100+ hours and I need to try that 5 Mhz. I’m only getting 9” average in depth and I’m having problems with deep Minnie balls. I coming off a AT Max, F75 and still learning. I’m almost 50 and I lowered my arm cuff, but my arms always hurt in this hard Louisiana clay. I use this program if I’m just coin shooting but I’m not getting the deep silver I put down. Any tips?

If you’re looking for setting tones a volume pitch tuning for coins this might help.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

Have about 100 hours on my 800...continue to do real well with it on my hammered old parks in the Philly suburbs. 25 + silvers and 100+ wheaties so far. Coming off an AT Pro which i loved and mastered. Im still learning the 800 and spend a lot of time on T.net and utube learning tips/tricks. I also had the operators manual printed and bound.

I have found recently that i get good quality signals when running in 5 MHz in Park 1 or 2 mode. Signals that i dont get when running in multi. Ive recently took to running in multi and when getting an “iffy” signal ill switch to 5 Mhz and confirm it.

More recently ive been avoiding multi and just running at 5 mhz and digging a ton of deep coins. Though i dont think 5 Mhz hits nickels very well.

A question...if ur running at 5 MHz with all gb, recovery speed, sense and iron all the same...do different modes even make a difference?

I still need to learn best customized coin program where i can set tones and breaks and tone volumes. I just havent made the time to do that yet.

One other comment about my first 100 hours....the 800 has really caused me some elbow pain. To the point i have to take a week off. I dont know if its a balance or design thing but my inner elbow is really beat up. Has anyone made any adjustment to the 800 that has made it more ergonomic in this regard? Its a bummer im in so much pain swinging this thing..and i aint that old (50).

Take care all!

I think multi IQ does a lot of things besides establish the frequency profile (that enables you to hit both high and mid conductors hard simultaneously) that includes special return signal post processing, more forgiving ground tracking especially in mineralized soil, and iron bias which does not work when in single frequency. That being said, under ideal conditions (e.g., mild soil) you should be able to to maximize raw depth solely on silver (and other high conductors) by going to 5 khz with perhaps the added side benefit of less sensitivity to mid conductive trash (e.g., can slaw) at the expense of nickels and gold at depth. In that case I would probably just notch out everything below 22.

I think you may be right thst once you go to single frequency, it really doesn't matter what mode you are in, if the underlying settings are the same.

bleeohio

Apr 8, 2017
Nw ohio
Detector(s) used
This space for rent...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done some signal comparison and so far multi seems to work the best here but where I'm at, great soil. I do find that in multi, it seems to up average the numbers a little higher than single freq. on deeper coins. That's okay by me though .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions