First 2 hours with my 800 coming from a v3i. My thoughts so far. - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: First 2 hours with my 800 coming from a v3i. My thoughts so far.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2012
    D'Iberville MS
    E-Trac Equinox 800 Equinox 600
    802 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I do believe when you get 100 or so hours on it, the Equinox will grow on you. I had a V3i for four years and never fell in love it. It's a great detector but way to complicated and not user friendly in my book. I tried all the programs for going deep and never did find anything over 8".. In my 1st weeks with the Equinox I found dimes and quarters at 12". I like the Equinox because of the simplicity of it. I rarely have dug an can slaw in the low 20's but tons of tabs in the 13 range.. With some practice you can pretty easily tell if you hit a can even in the high 20's and 30 range. The 32 range is most often junk or slaw. I haven't found any silver yet but in two months I have found over $200 in clad and I keep finding more each day in areas that have been hunted.. One area last week I was averaging $6 - $7 everyday in a 2 hour hunt but they locked the gate so I can't get in.

Good luck I think you will learn to love it.
    mhess22 likes this.

I don't detect for the stuff I find, I detect for the stuff I haven't found.

If I didn't find it I hope you did.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    33820 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Very nice write-up, thank you for sharing!

I too have a V3i, fun machine with many things to adjust...
    mhess22 likes this.

May 2018
    114 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Very nice write up-good honest opinions and facts presented fairly. I've personally never run a Whites other than my TDI, but that's another animal. I started with an X-Terra 705 and quickly learned the shortcomings of that machine for the conditions I was trying to hunt. Like your V3i, I couldn't get decent depth. I won't even go into needing to buy new coils for each frequency.
    I decided to upgrade and also knew I wanted to water hunt as well as have versatility for every condition. I shopped around and the only thing that fit the needs was the CTX-3030. Huge cost difference, but keeping my eyes open I got lucky and found a lightly used one at half the price of new. I also got a stainless scoop from the same guy cheap. I then found someone selling the 6 inch and 18 inch coils still in the bag for far below retail. Fell in love with that machine almost immediately. Sure, I was a bit intimidated by all the settings, but within a week or so with the help of some good reading and videos I had them pretty well figured out. The CTX has been my workhorse ever since, and made a lot of awesome finds with it. Yet, it does have its share of problems such as weight (especially with the 17 inch coil), iron falsing at times, and very slow recovery speed especially when using discrimination.
    For more extreme depth and the ability to go only high or low tone and the ability to set the transition point I ought the Whites TDI. That took some getting used to for sure. But when coin shooting in parks and such with a carpet of shallow pull tabs above the deeper old coins, you can't beat it. Set correctly, it's as if the pull tabs didn't exist and only the high conductors give a signal.
    The latest buy is a GPX 4800 that I got for beach and deep relic hunting, plus the idea to go nugget hunting later on is in the plans. Oh my goodness, I probably should have gotten a backhoe too! The 11x17 mono coil hits pennies 30 plus inches. I switched to the smaller DD coil to discriminate iron nails and reduce some depth. Even low sensitivity I had targets too deep to recover. Can't wait to hit some old fields where I've had coins at a barely detectable depth before.
    Anyway, still thinking about getting myself the 800 once more opinions and real life field use become available. Love the idea of the extremely quick recovery and great depth. Think it will fit right in with my collection and fill that nitch for detecting really trashy areas. I also will need a machine for scuba diving to before the end of the year. Maybe an Excalibur, but more likely a commercial grade PI machine.
    Thanks again for the post!
    vferrari and mhess22 like this.

us
    Jan 2018
    North Atlanta
    Equinox 800, 6" coil, stock coil, 15" coil, ProFind-35 pinpointer, Simplex, Vanquish 540. sold: AT Pro with stock coil, Nel Thunder, Garrett 5" x 8" coil, Garrett Carrot, Simplex.
    1028 times
    Relic Hunting
    I agree. Moving to the Garret AT Pro from the Fisher ID Edge, I had a long learning curve. I had to realize and it took a while to finally hunt by ear, not Target ID. I always thought Target ID's were the last word and easiest way to metal detect. Wrong!

So now moving from the AT Pro, at least I know to hunt by listening and just confirming or help identifying what is making that signal by TID, pinpointing for size and using my hand pinpointer to give me even more info about the size. Cans are big and coins are small, it is that simple. Taking these confirmation steps can save wasted digging time. Especially the trick on the nox 800 switch to single frequency of 10kHz and pumping. this will further help identifying coins from some junk. So the jury is still out on the Equinox series, but I like what I am seeing so far.
    mhess22 likes this.

us
    Mar 2017
    Northern NY, USA
    Minelab Equinox 800, HF 9-Function md, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT PP
    134 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    mhess22...Thank you for your candid review!!! I've lusted after a V3i for years but could not afford one. I couldn't really afford the Equinox 800 either, but I was able to obtain one (it was my April 2018 birthday, Father's Day 2018, Christmas 2018, and next year's 2019 birthday gift rolled into one). Reviews like yours make me somewhat happy that I did not get the V3i. And if I had gotten the V3i, that probably would have exhausted all of 2019's and possibly 2020's gifts combined
    mhess22 likes this.
    Using my Harbor Freight metal detector I found a cache of coins in a couple of spots situated within a few feet of each other.
    I ended up with 27 Walking Liberty half dollar coins, 97 Mercury dimes, 1 Morgan dollar, 1 Barber Half Dollar, 3 Liberty Head nickels, 1 Buffalo nickel, 15 mixed pennies (steel,& wheat), 2 flattened pennies with religious messages, and other silver US quarters and dimes, and 8 foreign coins. Detector has paid for itself

Just received a Minelab Equinox 800

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links