Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all!

I have been out doing some night hunting the past few nights, as this is the time I have available right now due to my shift schedule!

The first picture (of the UGLY war nickel and the wheat) is from my local park that after too many years of hunting it WAY too much, it's become VERY stingy at giving up good finds.

The second, is from the following night, from a site that was an old golf course. I've hunted one small part of this site heavily with my Explorer (a sidewalk next to where the pool used to be), as this small section gave up a large number of wheats -- probably about two dozen, but never a silver coin from this part of the site. However, there are a lot of nails in this little area as well, so I thought that maybe with the Equinox I might be able to scare up another wheatie. Well, I underestimated the Equinox's ability to find partially masked targets! Nearly every one of those coins (plus several Memorial pennies not shown) had at LEAST one nail in the hole with them, and the ones that didn't, had nails nearby enough to foul up the signal, to varying degrees. After several of these digs, the Equinox and I got on the same page, and I became really confident in what I was hearing -- and when it was trying to alert me that there was a coin hidden in the iron. Let's just say I'm EXTREMELY impressed. EVERY one of these coins was passed over with the Explorer, multiple times. To say I am a bit shocked, is an understatement...
Steve

5-13-18Finds-rotcrop.JPG

5-14-18Finds-rotcrop.JPG

jdiggs_treasure

Jan 12, 2013
northern california
Detector(s) used
Xp deus 11"x35/9"HF roundl/Mi6
Minelab equinox 800 11"& 6" coils
Killer b wasp headphones
Whites prostars
garrett carrot
Predator ranger shovel/raptor digger
Lesche t handle/ hand digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent post!!! And congrats on the coins....I've been pretty impressed with the equinox as well... been finding old coins with iron in the same holes like you...

Won't obsolete my deus but the eq800 seems to be a great complementary machine to it..

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pretty cool, another real confidence booster I'm sure. things like this make you sit back and say WOW. now you may have to go back and hit other sites again. :icon_thumright:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice saves, glad you are becoming one with the Nox! :occasion14:

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, all!

Yes, this was definitely a confidence booster -- a real education, as it turned out. I wasn't expecting to dig that many partially masked coins, but there were so many of them, that it provided a lot of "repetition" in a short period of time. Once you dig one, and come upon another shortly after that sounds similar, and you have another "success," and then it happens again, and again...it turns into a great learning experience where you are getting feedback from each dig, and it accelerates the learning process.

Yes, dirtlooter, there are definitely sites I need to go back to. There's an old country church in Pennsylvania where I grew up, and each time I go there while I'm back home visiting, I can usually recover a good target or two. It dates back to around 1800, but burned a few times in its history, so the church yard is FULL of square nails. I went in there for the first time with the CTX late last fall when I was visiting home over Thanksgiving, and recovered more good targets than I ever had before (when I had been working it with my Explorer). This was largely due to the CTX's improved ability to hunt in nails, compared to the Explorer. I was able to pull out some good coins close to nails with the CTX; right now, I am DROOLING over what the Equinox might be able to do in that site. We are headed back to PA in late June for 2 1/2 weeks vacation, and I cannot WAIT to hit that site, with the Equinox. I will hopefully -- if my suspicions are correct about what the Equinox will be able to do there -- be making a post here, in late June, with confirmation of these suspicions! I anticipate a few very nice digs from there with the Equinox, given what I've been learning here recently. I also have an old, circa 1870 farmhouse on our property there (where I grew up) that I've beaten TO DEATH with my Explorer -- but it is ALSO full of nails, and so I am expecting the Equinox to work a little magic there, as well...

We'll see!

Steve

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can see why you would be excited about those places and I do hope that you manage to find some good stuff to post. I will be recovering from surgery then and will be glad to see them. I just got my 600 this evening and am waiting for it to charge. I will be going over some of my spots that I have hammered with my HF coil. don't expect to find much there, just want to see how the multi freq works. glad to see you excited, that is a good thing and your new found experience will only help you when you go to PA. Good luck

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, dirtlooter!

Good luck with your surgery; I pray that all goes well. And, congrats on receipt of your Equinox! The HF coils on the Deus are formidable weapons in iron, as I understand it, and so once you learn the Equinox I'm curious to see what you think of its ability in the iron, as compared to your Deus.

Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread