What is going on ?

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will be swinging along and then my signals stop and my screen has two -- instead of TDI numbers . I have to stop swinging sit for a couple of minutes start swinging again and the same thing happens again . Pretty much I can not hunt unless in all metal . Then I hear everything just fine . Is it just me or is anyone else having this problem ? Oh ...I also have the twisting shaft thing going on to .

I went from snow to summer and misquotes with in two weeks , no spring at all so I do not want to lose my detector so soon .The shaft I put tape on it but this read out no working thing has to stop . All metal mode is to much to listen to for more than an hour .

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Call Minelab.. They will have you send it in and it will be back within a week.. I know I sent mine in.. Free shipping both ways

OP
OP
1942 merc

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seven day turn around and I do have my deus but I should not have to send in a brand new machine . I guess it happens but being my first minelab I had high expectations .

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI it is very hard for members to help on problems if members do not give as much setup info as possible such as recovery speed, sensitivity setting, program etc. It is like saying "my car makes a noise what is wrong".

I know when my Equinox sees a target that is very deep it will give -- for target ID as it is unable to tell what target is at that depth, only that there is a target there. I have coins buried at multiple depths of 6,9,12,15,18,20 and 24 inches, in test garden when I sweep targets at 15,18,20 and 24 i get -- for target ids, sometimes it will bounce between -- and target ID on 12" targets too.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Send it back for a repair. Our season is over here also. Went from 16" of snow to 90 degrees in 6 weeks.

OP
OP
1942 merc

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Park 1 sens 20 recov 4 and I noise cancel and then GB . It is just not in certain areas it is happening all the time unless I go to the horse shoe then I am good to go . I never get -- while in all metal , so something must be overloading the filters ? When this happens I get no audio no matter where I swing . I will hunt in all metal until it is to hot and bugs are to bad then send it in .

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if you swing it over your shovel then no tones or VDI (if in disc mode) when this happens? In Park 1, I dont usually hear anthing until I hit a target and occasionally swing it over my shovel, just to "make sure" it's alive. I would have said EMI but that would also affect AM. Happens in All the other modes too?

OP
OP
1942 merc

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been having some luck in park 1 so I have not messed with any other mode besides all metal . I was using auto GB and went back to manual as it seemed to work better . When I get the -- I can swing right over a silver dollar and not get a tone . If I hit the horse shoe I hear it right away .

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Based on your last post here, 1942 merc, you definitely need to send it in. Sounds like the disc. circuit is not working properly.

Steve

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weird because the disc "circuit" isn't a circuit at all, it's software, but software does not cut in and out like a loose or overheating connection which is what merc's symptoms sound like. Also, need some clarification on what is not working as far as GB is concerned. The ML "official" terminology can be confusing.

Manual - Pumping and you manualky adjust GB number up/downbased in the audio tone prompts. GB setting stays there until the process is repeated.

Auto - Pumping while the Accept/Reject pushbutton his held down and the machine automatically selects the GB setting. GB setting stays there until the process is repeated.

Tracking - Set in the GB menu (single press of the Accept/Reject pushbutton and exit settibgs).

So is Auto GB not working well or Tracking GB?

Other mode behaviors might provide some clues.

Regardless, I would just send it in so you can get a new one back into your hands ASAP. After all, that Deus still works in the mean time. ;)

Good Luck, merc.

Last edited:

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've come across the "--" phenomena a few times. It happened yesterday on a salt beach and was when I was near a massive piece of iron in the ground. I think it happened after I was using pinpoint to find the edges of the object. It was stuck on "--" for maybe 15 seconds, then returned to normal. I think I might have cycled the pinpoint function to "reset" it. Almost like it overloaded or something. I dunno. It is very rare and I'll have to pay more attention to the circumstances next time it happens. I didn't think much of it until I read this post. It has happened maybe 2 other times.

OP
OP
1942 merc

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tracking GB was not working so good . I have very mild soil fluffy like potting soil . I think I have a crappy battery . I go from two bars to one and after ten minutes I start noticing problems . Last time it was a speaker issue , when I would power on it would make like old dial up sounds and read one bar not flashing . Today my audio started sounding funny at one bar again after just dropping to one bar . I was away from my area this time so I brought the battery bank .

I plugged it in and full speed ahead . Acted like it had a full charge and was crisp again . Seems my battery lasts about six hours . Ran great while charging maybe even better . The finds started coming in and this is from a 1900s park right across from the old train depot . It has been sectioned off and detected by multiple people when it was still public . It has been hunted on since the detector was invented . It has been private for the last five years and I do have permission although I am told by everyone I see that it has been detected 1907 park.JPG 1960.JPG out for years but good luck .

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you done a factory reset? Maybe you accidentally turned down the volume for your tones rather than your machine? ie: in wrong mode when adjusting volume.

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It happened today again at the salt beach and I was able to replicate it. Like before, I was using pinpoint to find the edges of a huge metal object in ground. If I turned pinpoint off while still over the massive object the "--" stuck for about 15 seconds. If I just cycled the pinpoint function it would reset.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That has happened to me (or at least a similar thing) when transitioning out of pinpoint. I think the pinpoint function has some quirks that should be addressed by a future update.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you change some settings you have to push the detect button to get back to the VDI numbers.:BangHead:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you change some settings you have to push the detect button to get back to the VDI numbers.:BangHead:

Sounds like the voice of experience. Lol.

Try unintentionally detecting for a few minutes in pinpoint mode too, that's fun. Lol

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that you all mention it, yes -- there have been a few times when coming out of pinpoint mode that that has happened (I don't THINK I have had it happen in a different scenario other than when coming out of pinpoint mode). And yes, pressing the pinpoint button to turn pinpoint back on, and then off again, fixes the issue for me...

Steve

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had my 800 get stuck in pinpoint mode twice and the actual button stuck and would not release.. If that happens you will know it because nothing you do will fix it.. You will have to send the detector back to Minelab

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions