Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Went to a recently plowed field the other afternoon. The 800 went crazy, sounded like a broken calliope. Changed settings, didn't help. Moved away from road, powered off cell phone, turned machine off and on about 15 times, still no help. Checked and rechecked connections. ??? Walked back and took out AT Pro to see whether it was acting up as well - it wasn't. No obvious issues like power lines or other interference. First time the 800 has done this to me. Without the back up my hunt would have been finished. Any ideas? I appreciate any suggestions (except send my 800 to you and stick with the Pro).
HH
dts

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Possibly pinpoint stuck.. Call Minelab.. They will have you send it in and it will be back in a week,, Free shipping both ways..

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I concur with Normsel. I guess they'll have the bugs worked out within a few months on these. In the meantime, that's what the warranty is for. They may replace the whole thing. That's good for you.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The control box is likely unrepairable - plastic halves welded together. Replacement is what is likely.

OP
OP
dts52

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the good advice. I was hoping for a transitory glitch, I haven't fired it up again since.I'll contact Minelab over the weekend as rightnow my work schedule is nuts.
HH
dts

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had this problem last night as well... I was beach hunting and I hit a spot on the beach where the thing just went nuts. I had to turn the sensitivity down to about 14. Moved about 20 feet and it subsided. I think it could be radio transmissions or WIFI related. I could actually tell when people were approaching me because my machine would start chattering from their cell phones.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had this problem last night as well... I was beach hunting and I hit a spot on the beach where the thing just went nuts. I had to turn the sensitivity down to about 14. Moved about 20 feet and it subsided. I think it could be radio transmissions or WIFI related. I could actually tell when people were approaching me because my machine would start chattering from their cell phones.

Did you by chance have your cell phone with you? Cell phones can cause emi.

OP
OP
dts52

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you by chance have your cell phone with you? Cell phones can cause emi.

I did, but I had it powered down. I tried the Nox when I got home from work tonight - same result. It goes through the noise cancellation when I first turn it on and then goes nuts. I e-mailed Minelab but haven't heard back. I held the power button down for well over 8 seconds and that didn't help either. I'm very bummed.
HH
dts

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like the dreaded pinpoint membrane switch failure Normsel experienced.

Call Minelab directly if you can, you will get faster service.

[From Treasure Hunter and others in another thread]

Call Jamie or Tracy, Marty. These are their direct lines to their desks.

1.Jamie@630-401-8150

2. Tracy@630-401-8159

3. 1-877-767-6522 Jamie

Last edited:
OP
OP
dts52

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you. I'll call tomorrow. The pinpoint switch seems to be working fine. I finally got it to stop by turning the sensitivity down to 11. It doesn't seem proper to me though. If I need to crank the sensitivity way down to stop the chatter I'm going to lose a lot of depth which is one of the reasons I bought the Nox.

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like the dreaded pinpoint membrane switch failure Normsel experienced.

Call Minelab directly if you can, you will get faster service.

[From Treasure Hunter and others in another thread]

Call Jamie or Tracy, Marty. These are their direct lines to their desks.

1.Jamie@630-401-8150

2. Tracy@630-401-8159

3. 1-877-767-6522 Jamie

Tracy is AWESOME! (I had to turn around a pro-find 35 and it was Soooooo easy!)

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I'll call tomorrow. The pinpoint switch seems to be working fine. I finally got it to stop by turning the sensitivity down to 11. It doesn't seem proper to me though. If I need to crank the sensitivity way down to stop the chatter I'm going to lose a lot of depth which is one of the reasons I bought the Nox.

I've had to drop sensitivity to that same level in some of the grounds I've been hunting. The machine is designed for that. I will go up and down on sens regularly during a hunt, keeping it at the highest level for the conditions at any given moment. Some areas, I can get over 20, others down as low as 10, but I still pull a lot of metal out of the ground regardless.
What is really nice about Minelab's design is that the sensitivity settings are at your fingertips ALL the time, without having to go to a menu.

OP
OP
dts52

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had to drop sensitivity to that same level in some of the grounds I've been hunting. The machine is designed for that. I will go up and down on sens regularly during a hunt, keeping it at the highest level for the conditions at any given moment. Some areas, I can get over 20, others down as low as 10, but I still pull a lot of metal out of the ground regardless.
What is really nice about Minelab's design is that the sensitivity settings are at your fingertips ALL the time, without having to go to a menu.

Thanks, Elf. I hunted yesterday morning with a sensitivity setting of 11, Field mode#2 with all metal enabled. I appreciate all the help from the members who posted. I'll call Jamie just to chat about the situation. It's begining to look alot like OPERATOR ERROR!
HH
dts

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread