Nox Dilemma

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Excal doesn’t come with a straight shaft from the factory of course. The straight shafts which are available in the aftermarket are mostly one pieces, so the torque issue which magnifies poor fit of shaft sections or handgrip mounting which I referred to doesn’t affect them.

The Anderson two part shafts have an extra feature (according to their website) - “Each shaft also has a screw lock system on the end to ensure a tight fit of the lower rod.”

Ever wonder why they don’t just use cam locks like the Nox?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Excal doesn’t come with a straight shaft from the factory of course. The straight shafts which are available in the aftermarket are mostly one pieces, so the torque issue which magnifies poor fit of shaft sections or handgrip mounting which I referred to doesn’t affect them.

The Anderson two part shafts have an extra feature (according to their website) - “Each shaft also has a screw lock system on the end to ensure a tight fit of the lower rod.”

Ever wonder why they don’t just use cam locks like the Nox?

It only comes with the upper shaft, you have to use your own lower shaft and the Anderson travel shaft (I have one) comes in 3 pieces, I made it 4 pieces by moving the lower bar where controls mount to the back of the shaft so it is a long straight shaft, it breaks down into 4 pieces and will fit in carry on luggage under plane seat.

The original Anderson shafts did not come with the screw lock, they came with the cam locks.

Anderson Travel Shaft.jpg

Purpose of my comment was about the balance issue people were talking about, I do not doubt some are having issues with the cam locks although I am not.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hal2k

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hal,

I have spoken out in general on this shaft thing and what I think ML should do about it. It is really frustrating because no excuses from Ml could justify its existence, yet a simple tape fix can keep you swinging or you can lose your detector for a week and hope you get a new shaft thst doesnt have the issue. That is infuriating and frustrating. I get it.

Responding directly to you, though, Hal, I suggest you do avail yourself of the repair/replacement opportunity ML offers. There is no flood of returns and you should have your replacement in a week or less. Regarding watertightness, I have read of no confirmed failures due to leakage. Would like to hear of anyone who has actually experienced a confirmed water intrusion related failure. I say go for it and get the thing wet. No need to baby the thing. If it fails then send it in and get everything replaced (pod/shaft). No dilemma there. Remember also that we tend to hear about the failures more than the thousands of units out there that are working flawlessly, so do not hold back and using it the way it was designed to be used. I think there is very little debate about its actual detecting performance.

Good Luck.

Thank you vferrari for your comments.

I have contacted ML via email, asking if there is the possibility that they would send me a replacement shaft and allow me to change out, do not expect that to happen. I will return the unit to ML for repair I refuse to place tape on a piece equipment that I paid high price for just to band-aid a fix. have not heard anything from ML on what they are going to do. As I said do not think they will allow me to replace the shaft. Hope they get back to me soon with information I need to return everything.

Thanks to all for you comments, I will let all know what happens.

Hal

Last edited:

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you vferrari for your comments.

I have contacted ML via email, asking if there is the possibility that they would send me a replacement shaft and allow me to change out, do not expect that to happen. I will return the unit to ML for repair I refuse to place tape on a piece equipment that I paid high price for just to band-aid a fix. have not heard anything from ML on what they are going to do. As I said do not think they will allow me to replace the shaft. Hope they get back to me soon with information I need to return everything.

Thanks to all for you comments, I will let all know what happens.

Hal

Hal, I called Minelab today and received a shipping label via email and RMA#. The call took 5 minutes tops. It's on its way to them now. They'll definitely want you to send it in. They were clear on that point with me. Good luck.

OP
OP
Hal2k

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hal, I called Minelab today and received a shipping label via email and RMA#. The call took 5 minutes tops. It's on its way to them now. They'll definitely want you to send it in. They were clear on that point with me. Good luck.

I have e-mailed and called three times today each time all I get is a recording saying I have reached mail box 2004 etc. and to leave a voice mail, now it's really starting to get frustrating!! If you got through on one call you are lucky. I have called 1-888-949-6522 and 1-877-767-6522 called 1-630-401-8150 said to leave message no one has called back. This is turning into a very frustrating experience and sour experience. I'm wondering if they have one person there at their customer care center, does not seem much like customer care right now.

Last edited:

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have e-mailed and called three times today each time all I get is a recording saying I have reached mail box 2004 etc. and to leave a voice mail, now it's really starting to get frustrating!! If you got through on one call you are lucky. I have called 1-888-949-6522 and 1-877-767-6522 called 1-630-401-8150 said to leave message no one has called back. This is turning into a very frustrating experience and sour experience. I'm wondering if they have one person there at their customer care center, does not seem much like customer care right now.

I talked to Jamie this afternoon, I had no problem getting someone on the line. If you listen to the recording it says someone will get back to you within a 24-hour period after you leave your message.

OP
OP
Hal2k

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I talked to Jamie this afternoon, I had no problem getting someone on the line. If you listen to the recording it says someone will get back to you within a 24-hour period after you leave your message.

Condensing I started well over 24 hours ago (now more like 36) to contact someone at Minelab my patient's are starting to wear a little thin.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To those who got through to a human, which of the above numbers worked best?

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To those who got through to a human, which of the above numbers worked best?

These are the numbers I call when I need answers or have had an issue with a machine. I have never had to wait more than a day to either speak with someone or get a call back.

1. Marty@ 630-401-8165

2. Jamie@630-401-8150

3. Tracy@630-401-8159

I never call the 800 numbers, I was able to talk to Jamie this afternoon on her extension.

I usually get someone the first time I call, if not, I'll go though the list. If by chance no one picks up, I'll wait a couple of hours and try again, 95% of the time I'm able to get someone that day. This has been my experience the last 3 1/2 yrs with Minelab's customer service.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan is correct, call Jamie or Tracy, Marty no longer works for Minelab. These are their direct lines to their desks.

1.Jamie@630-401-8150

2. Tracy@630-401-8159

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan is correct, call Jamie or Tracy, Marty no longer works for Minelab. These are their direct lines to their desks.

1.Jamie@630-401-8150

2. Tracy@630-401-8159

That would explain why I haven't been able to get though to Marty :)

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome. Thanks, folks!

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Hal2k

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the phone numbers I will give them until lunch tommorow to call me, hope they do after that I will try the numbers that was posted. Thank you vferrari !

OP
OP
Hal2k

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update on the shaft wobble and contacting Minelab. OK Tracy called me this morning about the wobble problem, she instructed me to return ONLY the center shaft, she is sending me a UPS Call sheet and I got a RMA from her to return the shaft.

First off this makes me feel much better about returning the unit could not understand why Minelab needed the entire detector (headphones, cables, coil etc.) to correct a shaft problem. So back goes the center shaft today see how it goes on the replacement. Hope to get new shaft before Memorial Day if not I will use my AT-Max.

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update on the shaft wobble and contacting Minelab. OK Tracy called me this morning about the wobble problem, she instructed me to return ONLY the center shaft, she is sending me a UPS Call sheet and I got a RMA from her to return the shaft.

First off this makes me feel much better about returning the unit could not understand why Minelab needed the entire detector (headphones, cables, coil etc.) to correct a shaft problem. So back goes the center shaft today see how it goes on the replacement. Hope to get new shaft before Memorial Day if not I will use my AT-Max.

Glad you're in a better place Hal. I'm a bit puzzled as to why I had to send in the entire detector and accessories when all you had to do was send in the shaft. ???

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps they are getting a bead on where the shaft issue lies based on the repair returns.

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Perhaps they are getting a bead on where the shaft issue lies based on the repair returns.

That makes sense. They're probably getting hammered on shipping costs for the entire units when all they need to do is replace the shaft. I wish I had waited a day longer. But as long as it comes back sans wobble, so be it.

OP
OP
Hal2k

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also questioned why, I ask Tracy twice what was needed and she replied both times they only need the center shaft. The engineer came out in me before I packed up and dropped off at UPS, got out my pad of paper, pencil, calipers, and tape measure, sketched and measured the shaft. See how the new center shaft compares to the old one when I get I the new shaft.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread