Nox Dilemma

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At my local treasure hunters meeting last night we were discussing the Equinox 600 and 800 and some of the issues we are hearing about. I've had my 800 about three or four weeks now and have noticed a very slight wobble where the middle shaft connects to top shaft that has the control box and arm cuff. I can tighten the cam lock and it's fine for a while then the slight wobble returns, also we discussed some of the things we are hearing about the units leaking when detecting in the water. I know Minelab customer service is quite responsive on these matters, my dilemma is should I take the hack of using electrical tape to take care of the wobble for now or send back to Minelab. Here are my thoughts on the wobble, and leaking. Is there about to be a flood of units being returned for repair? If I wait to send back, is it going to get caught up in the flood of returns and may take months to get back or is it going to take a matter of days. My other concern is I send the unit in and they send me a refurbished unit, I did not pay $899.00 for a refurbished unit , replace the shaft OK I can see doing that but why do I need to send the entire unit including head phones, charging cables, wireless module etc. back to Minelab at least that is what I've heard. Or do I use the electrical tape hack for a few months until the dust settles and one can purchase accessory shaft and change the shaft myself, that is if my unit does not end up leaking.

Really feel I'm between a rock and hard place on this one, think I will risk the hack for a few months and see what happens when the dust settles and hope my unit does not leak and I can purchase an accessory shaft and change out myself.

I hope that Minelab has someone that checks Forums like this one and would respond to my post, but that may be wishful thinking. Anyway appreciate any responses, will give it some long hard thoughts about what to do.

I know things like this happen all the time, it happen to me several years ago when smart phones first came out, I had major problem with a phone from a major carrier, ending up having to take a refurnished phone in the end, I only had the original phone 30 days as I explained I did not purchase a refurnished phone but ending up having to take the refurnished phone, just left a sour feeling about that carrier.

Sorry for the long post, just needed to let off a little anger this morning.

Last edited:

Uscgdet

Greenie
Apr 15, 2018
North Bend OR
Detector(s) used
MXT, Tiger Shark Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 600 shaft keeps loosening up as well and I can fell the wobble. I am just dealing with it right now but might wait till winter to send it in knowing I won't use it much then since it rains like crazy here on the Oregon coast. Until then I will try something and just make it work. This is just the way I see it. Good luck.

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your concercens are on par with what the rest of us are thinking

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though i have the wobble i hit some pastures yesterday and pulled some coins and relics. The control unit is working well and im not ready to part with it yet.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel the wobble too in my 600.

Also, my headphone jack stopped working near the end of my hunt... I havnt had time to troubleshoot it yet though... maybe just some sand in there...

Anyways, the wobble is annoying. I reckon it could get worse and start giving false signals if it gets worse.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have sent my 800 back twice, once because of the wobble and the next for a completely dead control box.
Each time the entire process of calling for an RMA and a UPS Call Tag to the units being in my hands again was 8 days.
The shaft was either fitted with a new cam-lock or completely replaced, I could not tell.
The "dead" detector was replaced with a NEW control box and upper shaft.
In returning a detector the instruction require you to send everything in the original Equinox box and that box over-wrapped in a plain brown box, the one it came in. They paid shipping both ways. O could not ask for better service, unless they would ship the unit back with 2-day shipping as the call tag was.

Just because there have been "leaks" and I can not say mine was - only Infantile Mortality of electronics - does not mean there will be a flood of return. I am under the impression that when a Equinox is returned to Naperville, IL, it is not "repaired" but rather only new parts are used for replacement to make the unit functional again. Then tested with all the other items that were in the original box.

I believe the best solution for the shaft would be a one piece carbon fiber upper shaft. And keep the original metal shaft for traveling.

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My 600 shaft keeps loosening up as well and I can fell the wobble. I am just dealing with it right now but might wait till winter to send it in knowing I won't use it much then since it rains like crazy here on the Oregon coast. Until then I will try something and just make it work. This is just the way I see it. Good luck.

I agree 100% with this post. The wobble issue is minor, and makes sense to "live with it" until the weather becomes undetectable in.

I myself purchased an Anderson Shaft ($180 shipped from Pete) which corrects the lower shaft wobble, however, I still feel it between the control pad and hand grip. (Easily correctable with electrical tape) The Anderson shaft also does not have a stand underneath the arm rest, which makes the unit unstable when setting the unit down to dig on uneven ground.

I suggest emailing Minelabs Customer Support and tell them of your issue. You never know, they may even send you a new unit and a pre-paid box to ship yours back in. It never hurts to ask :)

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was cleaning my 600 earlier today and decided to see if there was anything I could do to get rid of that wobble. Nope. And I won't put duct tape on a 2 month old detector that is supposed to be The One. (not yet, anyway...) I came to this forum to see if others had any solutions to it. I see that I am not alone. Thus far it hasn't affected my hunts, and I don't always notice it. it's just a little frustrating knowing that it's there. GL & HH

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you're over thinking the issue. Minelab has a turn around of a week or less. From the time you send it until the time you receive it back is about 7 days. You're not going to get a refurbished unit either. Minelab in Chicago does not the have ability to take apart and repair control boxes so if there is something wrong with your control box you get a new one. In some cases with shaft wobble the guys didn't have the cam lock nut tight enough. Meaning good an snug and not finger tight.

I would give them a call and discuss your concerns.. I have not heard of any control boxes leaking.. Many people dream up potential problems by reading to many posts online

OP
OP
Hal2k

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was cleaning my 600 earlier today and decided to see if there was anything I could do to get rid of that wobble. Nope. And I won't put duct tape on a 2 month old detector that is supposed to be The One. (not yet, anyway...) I came to this forum to see if others had any solutions to it. I see that I am not alone. Thus far it hasn't affected my hunts, and I don't always notice it. it's just a little frustrating knowing that it's there. GL & HH

Agree I feel I should not have to put tape on a $900 machine to just Band-Aid a quality control issue. For me it's not the time 7 days is fine the rub is spending that kind of money and the quality control is such that units are leaving the factory with shaft wobble, with proper quality control it should not happen. I think Minelab has been over whelmed by the success of the unit and did not expect the popularity of the Equinox to be as great as it is. I'm not going to sell my 800 by no means, (certainty not going to wrap it around a tree LOL). I will in the end probably put some tape on the shaft and see if that helps until winter when I do less hunting. Also it's not that the cam lock is finger tight it is to point you can't turn and more so I know it's not issue from not tighten enough.

Anyway guys thinks for allowing me to vent my frustrations.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am wondering if this is more than a quality control problem. Seems like a marginal design to me. Wonder if ML has made any design adjustments. Taping shafts is just a travesty. At this point, sending out replacement shafts should be an option provided to end users as the control pod is easily removeable.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Darn I feel lucky! Almost 200-hours on my 600 - no wobble, no flooding (in the saltwater twice now, lake once), and I am happy as a pig in mud!:skullflag:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am wondering if this is more than a quality control problem. Seems like a marginal design to me. Wonder if ML has made any design adjustments. Taping shafts is just a travesty. At this point, sending out replacement shafts should be an option provided to end users as the control pod is easily removeable.

I believe you nailed it. "Marginal Design" as in save a buck. And no one should have to go buy a replacement shaft or use duct tape on a brand new machine.

Reminds me of the cell phone recall of a year or two ago, the ones that tended to blow up due to the battery issue. Maybe they'll spend a little money and get it fixed, if they just replace the part with one identical, then odds are it will happen again.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hence my (after 62 years) knowing not to order anything new, let it be tested

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff is always on point! He had his nap today.

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here had my equinox for a while and no wobble and about leaks I'm in new Mexico so no water

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ordered a 800 about 6 to 8 weeks ago from Kellyco, nothing yet, and now I'm beginning to have some doubts. I agree in that you should NOT have to buy a 100+ dollar shaft OR tape the thing up, not for a 900$ machine that you receive NEW. If you had it and used it a few years perhaps........but not new. Minelab, any response?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At my local treasure hunters meeting last night we were discussing the Equinox 600 and 800 and some of the issues we are hearing about. I've had my 800 about three or four weeks now and have noticed a very slight wobble where the middle shaft connects to top shaft that has the control box and arm cuff. I can tighten the cam lock and it's fine for a while then the slight wobble returns, also we discussed some of the things we are hearing about the units leaking when detecting in the water. I know Minelab customer service is quite responsive on these matters, my dilemma is should I take the hack of using electrical tape to take care of the wobble for now or send back to Minelab. Here are my thoughts on the wobble, and leaking. Is there about to be a flood of units being returned for repair? If I wait to send back, is it going to get caught up in the flood of returns and may take months to get back or is it going to take a matter of days. My other concern is I send the unit in and they send me a refurbished unit, I did not pay $899.00 for a refurbished unit , replace the shaft OK I can see doing that but why do I need to send the entire unit including head phones, charging cables, wireless module etc. back to Minelab at least that is what I've heard. Or do I use the electrical tape hack for a few months until the dust settles and one can purchase accessory shaft and change the shaft myself, that is if my unit does not end up leaking.

Really feel I'm between a rock and hard place on this one, think I will risk the hack for a few months and see what happens when the dust settles and hope my unit does not leak and I can purchase an accessory shaft and change out myself.

I hope that Minelab has someone that checks Forums like this one and would respond to my post, but that may be wishful thinking. Anyway appreciate any responses, will give it some long hard thoughts about what to do.

I know things like this happen all the time, it happen to me several years ago when smart phones first came out, I had major problem with a phone from a major carrier, ending up having to take a refurnished phone in the end, I only had the original phone 30 days as I explained I did not purchase a refurnished phone but ending up having to take the refurnished phone, just left a sour feeling about that carrier.

Sorry for the long post, just needed to let off a little anger this morning.
Hal,

I have spoken out in general on this shaft thing and what I think ML should do about it. It is really frustrating because no excuses from Ml could justify its existence, yet a simple tape fix can keep you swinging or you can lose your detector for a week and hope you get a new shaft thst doesnt have the issue. That is infuriating and frustrating. I get it.

Responding directly to you, though, Hal, I suggest you do avail yourself of the repair/replacement opportunity ML offers. There is no flood of returns and you should have your replacement in a week or less. Regarding watertightness, I have read of no confirmed failures due to leakage. Would like to hear of anyone who has actually experienced a confirmed water intrusion related failure. I say go for it and get the thing wet. No need to baby the thing. If it fails then send it in and get everything replaced (pod/shaft). No dilemma there. Remember also that we tend to hear about the failures more than the thousands of units out there that are working flawlessly, so do not hold back and using it the way it was designed to be used. I think there is very little debate about its actual detecting performance.

Good Luck.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Straight shafts with handgrips sticking out are ergonomically flawed. The axis of force is misaligned (above) and at an angle to the axis of resistance (the straight shaft to coil line). This induces rotational forces at each reversal of side-to-side swing of the detector coil. This torque makes it tough to keep a multi-part system from loosening. There is a reason water detector straight shafts are either 1 piece or use much more positive locking systems between the components.

I think the issues of shaft wobble and handgrip rotation are going to be tough to solve. Bad design. My neither the 800 - I had and sold to a friend nor the 600 I have now have these issues - yet. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been using straight shafts on the excal for years and I love them, have no issue with straight shaft on my Equinox either.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions