Has anyone heard anything about a small coil for the Equinox?

bleeohio

Apr 8, 2017
Nw ohio
Detector(s) used
This space for rent...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll say I'm on the fence about the six inch. I don't have the patience that it takes to work a small coil but I'd sure swing the snot out of an 8-9 incher.

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I called Minelab today and asked about the small coil, "late spring" is what I was told. Well, spring is almost over, so, here we are again.....waiting!

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wtf009.gif

What the minelab dealer looked like when I asked him when the 6" coil I ordered would arrive...

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I called Minelab today and asked about the small coil, "late spring" is what I was told. Well, spring is almost over, so, here we are again.....waiting!

did he say which spring? :dontknow:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are guys waiting for the E-800 and you people are worried about 6" coils. I was told sometime in June but I am sure there are so called waiting lists for the 6" coil.. Those that suck up get the best service

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I know is that Kellyco has it on a "Pre-order" basis for $179.00 I ordered a 800 several weeks ago, and their site says they are shipping December orders. If I were to order a 6" coil now, perhaps it might arrive by May of 2019. Message to Minelab is, "Really"?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obviously it's because Minelab doesn't want to sell stuff and just wants to pizz off it's customer base.

Folks the thing is over the top in demand. Yeah, ML did not anticipate the the overwhelming demand, or perhaps they did, but in any event production facility infrastructure does not just expand overnight. They are not Apple or Google with infinite cash reserves and infrastructure to support millions of units. Metal Detecting is not exactly catching the world on fire if you hadn't noticed, so all metal detector manufacturers are going to suffer from high demand spikes from new release product saturating limited production infrastructure. That is never going to change because sooner or later the sales of this detector and its accessories will settle down to steady state level that is consistent with the production facility capacity. Until that happens, we are all going to have to wait or move on to another guy. That's the nature of supply and demand. Unfortunately, ML will lose customers as a result, but I am not sure they will be crying about it too much because the net sales will result in some decent overall profit, I suspect.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obviously it's because Minelab doesn't want to sell stuff and just wants to pizz off it's customer base.

Folks the thing is over the top in demand. Yeah, ML did not anticipate the the overwhelming demand, or perhaps they did, but in any event production facility infrastructure does not just expand overnight. They are not Apple or Google with infinite cash reserves and infrastructure to support millions of units. Metal Detecting is not exactly catching the world on fire if you hadn't noticed, so all metal detector manufacturers are going to suffer from high demand spikes from new release product saturating limited production infrastructure. That is never going to change because sooner or later the sales of this detector and its accessories will settle down to steady state level that is consistent with the production facility capacity. Until that happens, we are all going to have to wait or move on to another guy. That's the nature of supply and demand. Unfortunately, ML will lose customers as a result, but I am not sure they will be crying about it too much because the net sales will result in some decent overall profit, I suspect.

vferrari is right of course, I think I was just venting some frustration. Beginning to "second guess" myself as to ordering one? I'm sure all will work out in the end. Never any kind of response though from KellyCo or Minelab on this Forum, but, it is only one of many. HAVING said all that, I'll quit my whining and return to "Todays Finds".

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I gather after discussing with various sources, we are likely to see the 6" start shipping in numbers next month. (June).

Like the 800, though, a number of dealers already have waiting lists. (I'm #1 with my dealer, so I'm set)

Also, Waterproof Headphones are already starting to make their way to US Dealers. This time they're first, because the headphones are made by Koss in the USA. (Already have seen one purchased by an EQ owner from his dealer)

Small accessories like the charger are also in the pipeline for delivery very soon. The longest wait will likely be for the 15" coil which still does not have a price announced. Everything else is in the pipeline already.

Frank

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What I can't understand is the lack of accessories. They're not all made on the same assembly line (and in some cases, not even in the same country). Why weren't they built and available at the same time as the detector?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vferrari is right of course, I think I was just venting some frustration. Beginning to "second guess" myself as to ordering one? I'm sure all will work out in the end. Never any kind of response though from KellyCo or Minelab on this Forum, but, it is only one of many. HAVING said all that, I'll quit my whining and return to "Todays Finds".

I'm with ya man! I say all the common sense stuff above, but it's still frustrating, I know. It's not like I haven't ranted about it, too. Especially those headphones which are just special orders with their proprietary connector (don't get me started). No reason those couldn't have been ordered months in advance because regardless of what last minute changes came out of Equinox detector pre-testing, those were not going to change. Coil is probably an assembly line thing, though. Regardless, I try to figure out why they would want mess with the end user, and the only thing I can come up with is their production folks just blew it, I guess. Missed opportunity. Hey but that still does not excuse the ridiculous markup prices for the wireless audio accessories. That is something you CAN fume about. Or, if you are an 800 user, take on the opportunity to sell your WM08 for a reasonable price if you don't intend to use it.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I can't understand is the lack of accessories. They're not all made on the same assembly line (and in some cases, not even in the same country). Why weren't they built and available at the same time as the detector?

Yeah, see my reply above. Doesn't completely make sense why not at least some the accessories were ready at launch (e.g., the WP headphones)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you get the two coils as extras, big and large and headphones, what are we talking $450 to $500 additional? The 9" coil would have made sense, oh well. The 6" coil makes sense for tight areas, not so much a 15" to go deeper. I'd think there wouldn't be an advantage to the larger one over the one the machine comes with. Can't tell right now.

I bought a larger coil once for my Tesoro Cibola but only got an advantage in really bad ground.

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you get the two coils as extras, big and large and headphones, what are we talking $450 to $500 additional? The 9" coil would have made sense, oh well. The 6" coil makes sense for tight areas, not so much a 15" to go deeper. I'd think there wouldn't be an advantage to the larger one over the one the machine comes with. Can't tell right now.

I bought a larger coil once for my Tesoro Cibola but only got an advantage in really bad ground.

Equinox coils are smart....the bigger the smarter. They will sense when you need a bathroom break and kill the battery, forcing you to get out of the field to charge up and go to the bathroom.
In fact if you put the daily crossword in front of the equinox coil and leave it on....don't be surprized if the crossword is completed when you get back...:laughing7:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had e-mailed Minelab a month ago requesting that they come out with an 8" coil for the Equinox machines. For general hunting I find this the optimum size coil and for many years an 8" coil was the industry standard for general coin shooting. The race for "more depth" resulted in most manufacturers making 11" coils standard and although they may be deeper than an 8" coil they will never provide the separation and accuracy at normal (say to 10") depths. I was told they would have a six inch coil in late spring but they had no plans for an 8" coil. To me this sucks, I normally use an 8 incher on my Safari and ATP, and usually on my Infinium. I really don't like six inchers either, just too small. I don't understand why they are not considering making a wider coil selection for the Equinox like they did for the Explorer series. I really would like an Equinox 800, but may not get one until Coiltec or somebody else comes out with an 8" coil for these machines. Of course for me it may be a moot point since they seem to be a little lame about getting the 800s to market and I will certainly not pay an asinine price to get one now.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Extra separation may not be necessary with the super fast processor the Nox has. I'm more interested in coverage of large areas and would rather get a 15" coil than a smaller one.

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had e-mailed Minelab a month ago requesting that they come out with an 8" coil for the Equinox machines. For general hunting I find this the optimum size coil and for many years an 8" coil was the industry standard for general coin shooting. The race for "more depth" resulted in most manufacturers making 11" coils standard and although they may be deeper than an 8" coil they will never provide the separation and accuracy at normal (say to 10") depths. I was told they would have a six inch coil in late spring but they had no plans for an 8" coil. To me this sucks, I normally use an 8 incher on my Safari and ATP, and usually on my Infinium. I really don't like six inchers either, just too small. I don't understand why they are not considering making a wider coil selection for the Equinox like they did for the Explorer series. I really would like an Equinox 800, but may not get one until Coiltec or somebody else comes out with an 8" coil for these machines. Of course for me it may be a moot point since they seem to be a little lame about getting the 800s to market and I will certainly not pay an asinine price to get one now.

I here you....the 11" is just a bit of a tight fit and the 6" although ample size for those tight spots just does not satisfy....forget the 15" its a monster and I'm sure
it will just ruin most people. 8" sounds nice but I prefer a 9" it has a familiar feel to it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread