Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Accept / Reject on page 49 of the Equinox 800 manual .
I did some test today using a can tab,pull tab , rusty bottle cap and a lead bullet.
Use the settings button to navigate to accept / reject in the settings menu.
Well after a few try's i think i got it and saved it so when i turn it on in park 1 it's still there.
equinox 800 003.JPG
Scroll over to this accept / reject setting . Lay you can tab ,pull tab, rusty bottle cap and lead bullet on the ground and go over the target one at a time.
Go over a couple of times and stop the coil on the grass just past the pull tab and push the accept / reject button once. now do the same to the can tab .Go over it a couple of times and and past the target put coil on the ground and push the accept / reject button once.
Were i had trouble getting it saved and on the 5 h try i did it and turned the detector off and turned it on and it stayed and was rejecting the 4 targets.
equinox 800 010.JPG equinox 800 012.JPG equinox 800 013.JPG equinox 800 014.JPG
I then went over these targets and heard a little tone and nothing that was good enough to dig ans a couple of the targets was no sound at all.
All the coins Silver dollar ,half dollar ,quarter, dime ,V nickel and Indian head cent all rang real nice .
The 14 K men's wedding ring and the 10 K wedding ring came in nice good tone.
equinox 800 002.JPG equinox 800 005.JPG equinox 800 017.JPG equinox 800 020.JPG equinox 800 018.JPG equinox 800 021.JPG equinox 800 019.JPG

equinox 800 022.JPG
I would not reject the aluminum bottle caps as you will not pick up the 14 K men's wedding ring.
And if you reject the rusty bottle twice you stand a chance at losing the 10 K men's gold ring.
I did this in park 1 . And if you go to all metal mode it will pick up all rejected items.

The rusty nail you don't have to reject as it don't pick it up in park 1 only if you go to all metal mode.
equinox 800 001.JPG

The aluminum bottle cap comes in around 20 the same as the 14 K gold ring.

equinox 800 007.JPG equinox 800 008.JPG

The 10 K gold ring stays a solid 17.
equinox 800 006.JPG

Any one else have anything to add to this let us know .
This little gold nugget still rang up in park 1 but not as deep as gold mode.

equinox 800 016.JPG

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My rusty nails are hitting low to mid 20’s. It’s driving me nuts. I customized a coil shooting mode and hit a lady’s gold ring at 12 thought I had another V nickel at 8” tues. Went back weds and got a men’s 14k wedding ring at a solid 20. Man that felt good back to back. Loving the 800.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My rusty nails are hitting low to mid 20’s. It’s driving me nuts.

Are they cut square nails (that would be weird unless they are bent) or modern wire zinc coated nails? Bent nails, nail heads, and round iron will fool the circuit and cause high tone falsing. You can try using some iron bias to filter that out, but you also run the risk of missing high conductors hiding amongst the iron if you add in too much iron bias. It is a constant balance of tradeoffs. Also, reminder to try to listen for telltale tonal irregularities that will tell you that the "20" you are hearing is a nail vs. a coin or ring.

BTW - lots of meticulous work there Rodger. I've just seen too much variation on those junk target ids based on target orientation or whether the target is misshapen or bent to ever trust that I can fully notch out the junk without taking some valuable targets out of the equation too. But you have really tried hard to thread the needle so that you can still hear some of the gold so good job. Good luck, but I like to hear it all and disc/notch with my brain. That is probably why I am crazy, at least that's what my wife keeps telling me.

Last edited:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are they cut square nails (that would be weird unless they are bent) or modern wire zinc coated nails? Bent nails, nail heads, and round iron will fool the circuit and cause high tone falsing. You can try using some iron bias to filter that out, but you also run the risk of missing high conductors hiding amongst the iron if you add in too much iron bias. It is a constant balance of tradeoffs. Also, reminder to try to listen for telltale tonal irregularities that will tell you that the "20" you are hearing is a nail vs. a coin or ring.

BTW - lots of meticulous work there Rodger. I've just seen too much variation on those junk target ids based on target orientation or whether the target is misshapen or bent to ever trust that I can fully notch out the junk without taking some valuable targets out of the equation too. But you have really tried hard to thread the needle so that you can still hear some of the gold so good job. Good luck, but I like to hear it all and disc/notch with my brain. That is probably why I am crazy, at least that's what my wife keeps telling me.

I’ve been running it on full sensitivity because I don’t know how to change it and I detect a old park with moderate trash. The manual says “You can only adjust the Sensitivity level from the Detect Screen.” But I don’t speak manual language to well. Can you help me out? I wanna put it down one notch. I need depth there so I hunt disc 1. Any advice?

OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you get 20's on nails push the all metal button so your not in all metal and recheck it. If it's a nail you shouldn't here it and if gold 14 k you will.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve been running it on full sensitivity because I don’t know how to change it and I detect a old park with moderate trash. The manual says “You can only adjust the Sensitivity level from the Detect Screen.” But I don’t speak manual language to well. Can you help me out? I wanna put it down one notch. I need depth there so I hunt disc 1. Any advice?

Just hit the +/- button when in the normal detect (vice "settings") screen and you can raise or lower it from the default setting of 20. The bargraph just to the left of the TID number will go up and down and the TID number will reflect the sensitivity level when you are doing this.

Larwar

Jul 23, 2014
New Richmond WI
Detector(s) used
A T Pro. Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you guys metal detecting in a jewelry store, Is there really that Many gold rings just laying around. I got to find better spots. I'm jealous

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We ain't doing it for the nickels.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven’t touched the iron bias on my 600 yet but I wonder if it will help to nullify the pull tabs and bottle caps?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven’t touched the iron bias on my 600 yet but I wonder if it will help to nullify the pull tabs and bottle caps?

Hawks won't help with the pull tabs. Those are the bane of all of us. Sometimes if it's bent you can glean something from the audio or a slight bounce in TID. Pull tabs are someone's idea of a cruel joke on detectorists.

Steel Bottlecaps can be ferreted out in all metal mode (an instant tap of the horseshoe button), if you wiggle off the target you will get an iron grunt tone and can play the odds and move on.

Iron bias Is REALLY meant to counter falsing due to bent nails, nail heads and relatively small round and/or flat solid iron or iron rings. No free lunches though, with iron bias filtering cut in you may not be able to hear silver lurking amongst the thick iron or masked by nearby iron.

HTH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread