EQUINOX REPORT CARD THREAD - The Good OR Bad - Rate your experiences and finds.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Inquiring minds want to know your experiences thus far on the new EQ's...

I for one am a Minelab fan and have been since Minelabs early days...

With every new release of a new detector there is a "buzz" and everyone flocks to a new promising detector that will "outdo" the one they currently use.

BUT... once all the dust settles... I... as well as many others... am very curious as to how their EQ has stacked up in the field.

Now...

I know many Tnetters have taken the plunge and bought the EQ's and are currently out there using them.

Yet... I have seen very little as far as "finds"...

IN OTHER WORDS... Where all all the "tiny gold chains" ? ? ?

AND... how is the overall thought about this new "craze" detector ? ? ?

The good ... the bad... etc.

I also noticed that many users have had "problems" with this new detector ... THIS I WANT TO HEAR TOO.

So...

Post away... ANYTHING that has to do with this detector... EVEN comparisons to other detectors.

FINDS... readings etc etc etc.

RATE THE EQ ! ! !

A+ through an F- like in school. :)

Last edited:

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A = great addition to my Etrac and CTX...

EQ800 vs. CTX3030 Likes and Dislikes
My thoughts on the EQ800

I recently received the EQ800.
I have been detecting since 1977 and have had many detectors over the years.

Currently I have:
2 old BH wall hangers
Fisher F44
Fisher F75LTD SE (with all size coils)
Whites MXT All Pro (with all size coils)
Minelab Etrac (with all size coils)
Minelab CTX 3030 (with all size coils)
Minelab Equinox 800

What I really like about the 800:
Fast/separation
Lightweight
Great screen (Really Great)
Easy to use
Clear target sounds
Pinpoints nice
Wireless headphones
Did I say fast... lol

Dislikes:
Target ID's to close together (more of a beep and dig machine) Dig anything 12/13 and over 20. I may get better with time.
Nose heavy
Cheap camlocks

I miss from my CTX:
fe/co numbers
Target trace pinpoint
I can cherry pick with it like no other detector
Accurate target ID
Deep
CTX camlocks are the best ever

In iron trash sites = eq800
In cleaner parks and lawns = CTX

What a combo very happy here 😀

This is just my honest opinion guys.

Thanks Gary from Oregon

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Inquiring minds want to know your experiences thus far on the new EQ's...

I for one am a Minelab fan and have been since Minelabs early days...

With every new release of a new detector there is a "buzz" and everyone flocks to a new promising detector that will "outdo" the one they currently use.

BUT... once all the dust settles... I... as well as many others... am very curious as to how their EQ has stacked up in the field.

Now...

I know many Tnetters have taken the plunge and bought the EQ's and are currently out there using them.

Yet... I have seen very little as far as "finds"...

IN OTHER WORDS... Where all all the "tiny gold chains" ? ? ?

AND... how is the overall thought about this new "craze" detector ? ? ?

The good ... the bad... etc.

I also noticed that many users have had "problems" with this new detector ... THIS I WANT TO HEAR TOO.

So...

Post away...

Just show us the pictures...no videos, they're too long. Pictures of the fantastic finds. The finds tell the tale. These machine have been out for long enough for some solid stuff to have been found.

Just pictures. I like pictures. Plus we're in the top time for spring detecting....the heat is coming, along with snakes, ticks, all that fun stuff.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me, the grade is "I" for incomplete. Still too much hype out there to see the big picture. Most of the good finds are being dug because of inexperience with the machine. People give credit to the detector when in fact it is likely their hard work of digging trash to learn the language.

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far I give it a b-/c+.

I've had it a week and have dug my share of trash and a few treasures.

Pros:
Rechargeable aka no batteries needed.
Customizable settings
Very sensitive
Pleasant tones that arent fatiguing on the ears
Passes nail test with large square nail on top of silver dime
Goes deep
Target tones are solid and not warbly

Negatives:

Shaft play
Low battery life (8 hours with sensitivity at 20 and volume at 24 and no backlight)
VDI is small range and good targets group near each other on VDI.
Very sensitive to emi

My 2 previous detectors were at pro and at max. I understood those well and understood their language and target id well. Equinox is a little tougher but it will get better the more targets I dig.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
For me, the grade is "I" for incomplete. Still too much hype out there to see the big picture. Most of the good finds are being dug because of inexperience with the machine. People give credit to the detector when in fact it is likely their hard work of digging trash to learn the language.

Agreed some what. But that goes for just about every detector out there doesn't it?

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For me overall the grade is I (incomplete)

A + on ease of use
F on shaft lock design
F on customer service
B + on weight
F Battery life 8-12 hours really when my RNB's in my Garrett AT-Pro and AT Max are 40 hours each!
A + depth

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed some what. But that goes for just about every detector out there doesn't it?

Yes with every new detector we find great things for one reason. We dig everything. As we get comfortable with the machine, our good finds go down as we pass up iffy signals and reject numbers that tend to be trash.
When a new detector comes on the market, everyone is digging all signals and so the hype propagates.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I can only speak for the beach as I don't detect anywhere else...

I don't think its going to outdo any of the other beach machines (CZ21, Excal, CTX) for the most part. But its much much much lighter. I have 2 silver rings so far in about 10-12 hunts, which is about normal for pre-summer in my area. Both would of been read by my other machines. I am definitely picking up smaller pieces of can/metal than normal, so the potential to find smaller gold is definitely there. The thing you have got to remember is that the Nox is $650 and is just as good as those other machines (CZ21 ($1200), Excal ($1500), CTX ($2500)) for the beach. So being lighter, less expensive, just as deep, and just as sensitive if not more is a huge win in my book. If you have those other machines I don't think you need to go buy a nox unless you want a lighter machine. The advantages of the CZ21/Excal is that they are more waterproof (can dive) and the CTX gives more info (has better ID) and its coils are readily available.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 600. It is deeper on small stuff than my CZ6, but probably not quite as deep on larger stuff. It can be a pin to pinpoint and I am not satisfied with the degree of iron falsing. Having said that, for salt beach up to wading depth, there is probably nothing better yet, considering price/performance.

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes with every new detector we find great things for one reason. We dig everything. As we get comfortable with the machine, our good finds go down as we pass up iffy signals and reject numbers that tend to be trash.
When a new detector comes on the market, everyone is digging all signals and so the hype propagates.

I think this is generally true, however, the Nox has really changed my views about speed and I do agree with their marketing phrase "speed is the new deep". Most of the silver and treasures I have found this year was not because I was digging iffys or deeps. It was because I was getting superior separation with good tones and VID. Speed has really opened up every site I had previously discarded. There are other fast machines out there, but the Nox is so many things in one and is so reasonably priced that it was an easy choice.

Where are all the gold chains? They are being found. Check some of the other treasure forums. But... I had visions of finding gold chains with Nox, then came to the realization that in order to do so I would be digging every VID of 1 and 2... That takes some serious commitment and patience, which is something I don't have at the moment. I am enjoying leisurely hunting and cherry picking too much to make that commitment and suspect many others feel the same.

It basically comes down to the following for me: Am I happier now than with my previous machines? Absolutely! Am I digging more treasure with the Nox? Yes! Is my desire to go out and detect higher than before? Yes! Am I confident that I am maximizing my chances with this machine? Yes! The Nox is a bunch of machines in one for me. I can take it anywhere, and that is a HUGE bonus for me. It has opened up saltwater/shore hunting and I am having a hoot doing it. I can pick apart all kinds of details, as I have in other threads, but in the end I consider the Nox a major upgrade for me and it has added many new layers of joy to my overall detecting experience. Guys, don't forget - This is a first year machine. If you are worried about stuff, stick with your current machine or wait for the next gen Nox 1000 or whatever ML decides to do.

Needs:

Better Balance (Rotational Torque) - Give me an optional s-shaft.
Stonger Modulation
Overload

B+

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been using the 800 for about 4 weeks now. My targets are just older coins while hunting inland. So far, these are my thoughts. This is coming from an XP Deus/CTX 3030 user:

CONS

Lower shaft wobble, feels cheaply made. So annoying I decided to go out and buy an Anderson Shaft to replace. HINT: On future models, look at graphite shaft/shaft locks on CTX 3030. Im sure everyone would be willing to spend an extra $100 to have the shaft done right. Looks rushed in order to hit shipping deadline. Grade: (D)

Nearly impossible to hit a nickel in trashy parks without digging every beaver tail/pull tab in the area when accepting 12/13 on VDI. 50/50% change if accepting just 13 Grade: (C-)

Nose heavy coil. Also, don't like the "rounded" tip of coil versus "notched" tip design of the CTX 3030 for pinpointing. Grade (C)

PROS

Machine is amazingly easy to use once you learn how to set it up right for coins (A+)

Tone volumes make it easy to cherry pick w/o losing depth, since you can give a 0 tone to trash target areas (A+)

Ultra-fast seperation w/o as much depth loss as you may expect, even at higher recovery levels (6/7) (A)

Much lighter than its big brother (CTX 3030) w/o as much depth loss as you may expect (A)

Overall, IMO, the 800 is definitely the best detector on the market today for the price. Outside of the nickle ID'ing issue i've experienced (unfixable w/o an update, which I don't expect to happen) i'm very happy with the machine. (shaft issue is fixable with after market brands)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
B+......subject to change as I get more hours on it.

Pluses: Fast processor, so hunting in iron is MUCH easier
Light weight
Good display
Adjustable backlight (800)
Wireless headphones
Cost
Salt water not a problem
Included screen protectors. A nice touch

Minuses: Bottlecap I.D.
Balance, both slightly nose and top heavy
Compressed I.D. number range and no Ferrous numbers
Not having coil options and waterproof headphones from the get go. I mean, come on folks, there really is no excuse for not having them ready with the detector.
Not including a charging station for detector, headphones, and WM08

Undecided: Cam Locks (hasn't been a problem with mine yet)
Depth. I've found reasonably deep targets, but, nothing as deep as my Etrac and Excalibur with 15" coils. I'll reserve conclusions until I get the big coil for it and find some deep targets. Certainly acceptable however.
Battery system. Not wild about only 10hrs of hunting per charge as compared to my RNB batteries in my other machines where I can hunt many days between charges. Having to charge 2-3 items separately is a nuisance too.
Arm/wrist angle on handle. Why can't these be made adjustable? It's not bad, but could be improved by being able to change it a bit to ease fatigue.
EMI rejection. Seems a bit chattier than my other machines. Not a major problem in the areas I've hunted so far, but, could be in some areas.

bleeohio

Apr 8, 2017
Nw ohio
Detector(s) used
This space for rent...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll give it a B. Performance wise I'm very pleased, the deep coins are coming up pretty regularly. Battery life could be better but not a problem for me. I don't have the shaft problems that others have so no hickey there.
My main negative issue is the balance, I've had almost every machine out there at one time and a lot of them were tanks (cz,expl ect.) and I expected the weight, balance dealings that comes with those but with this being fairly lightweight I expected it to be more comfortable. So I'll stick with a B grade with more potential.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Inquiring minds? Just all of us nosy people wanting to dig up other people's property looking for bright shiny objects!

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting so far.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven’t had enough time with it yet BUT I KNOW it will be real good with a smaller coil. I’ve already found a 14kt. Gold ring and yes it does love trash. Yes it is nose heavy. But this detector goes real deep. So far I’d give it a B- to be honest but for the price no other detector comes close imo.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread