Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good question. All the machines out there are just weeks old. From the posts it seems most of the complaints are regarding design flaws, not problems with the electronics.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good question. All the machines out there are just weeks old. From the posts it seems most of the complaints are regarding design flaws, not problems with the electronics.

Does seem that way...

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you also need to look at the percentage of high end machine users e.g. etrac , ctx3030, etc., that decided against the equinox, compared with the users that have used machines under $1000. I think the higher percentage would come from the high end users. Even with out the issues of wobbley shafts, and occasional glitch in the box.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And ergonomics. For $900 I expect no issues. On a $300 machine I expect no issues. Period. If I buy a Chevy Cruzer versus an expensive Cadillac, I still expect either vehicle to work right off the showroom floor as described. Price is irrelevant. And what you drove before is irrelevant. It will be interesting to see what Minelab's attitude is 6 months from now. I remember when a car manufacturer would blow off the first few issues with a car, then all of a sudden there are 100,000 recalls. Hard to tell.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as control box issues, one needs to view it as a percentage of units sold. Not having access to sales numbers makes it hard to ascertain the failure rate compared to other detectors. It does appear to be one of the best selling detectors ever, so that may be creating what appears to be more failures as a raw number, but as a percentage of units sold, it maybe no different then other Minelab models or other brands.

Ergonomics is subjective, so I don't believe it can be called a design flaw, some like the ergo's some don't. I think the display sits too high. The wobbling shaft is a design flaw and its in the cam lock design. Mine doesn't wobble, yet, maybe they've upgraded the locks as I just bough mine a little over a week ago.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ergonomics is subjective, so I don't believe it can be called a design flaw, some like the ergo's some don't.

I agree and disagree with that statement. First, if a car head rest is designed in a way that puts the average person in a position that hurts the neck while driving, it can be assumed the head rest is a design flaw. Of course some people have deformed necks and the head rest will suit them fine.

In the case of metal detectors, a nose heavy machine is by default poorly designed. Yes, some people have arms like Popeye and can handle the unneeded stress a nose heavy machine puts on the ligaments and muscles. But, the majority of people would rather have a pleasant experience with a machine that is balanced and easy to swing rather than be burdened with having to compensate for a lack of forethought by a manufacture.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree and disagree with that statement. First, if a car head rest is designed in a way that puts the average person in a position that hurts the neck while driving, it can be assumed the head rest is a design flaw. Of course some people have deformed necks and the head rest will suit them fine.

In the case of metal detectors, a nose heavy machine is by default poorly designed. Yes, some people have arms like Popeye and can handle the unneeded stress a nose heavy machine puts on the ligaments and muscles. But, the majority of people would rather have a pleasant experience with a machine that is balanced and easy to swing rather than be burdened with having to compensate for a lack of forethought by a manufacture.

Just being argumentative, nothing personal, but Aren't all detectors nose heavy, its just to what degree (I don't know, I don't own them all). If you put any of them with the lower shaft extended to a detecting length, will they balance 50/50 on a fulcrum where we grip them? I can say, it's easier on my arm then my AT Pro was and way better then my CZ and better then my Whites DFX and Spectrum. Does that make them all defective?

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
my parents said that they didn't realize that they were actually poor growing up but that didn't change the fact that they were. sometimes it is what someone is willing to put up with, sometimes they just don't know otherwise unless enlightened. people with worn out parts such as joints etc. will tend to notice heaviness or balance more so than someone with less health issues. some people are willing to use a harness just to be able to continue using a particular heavy machine and more power to them, I am not one of those. As a whole, this is an awesome machine that can use some tweaking to get it more user friendly, especially for the older users. I keep hoping that some genius will figure out what to do to improve the set up. personally I would like a hybrid of several detectors, taking the best features of each and putting them into one but patent rights will keep that from happening. But for the money spent, there shouldn't be any issues with design unless it was a hurried up and or cost thing.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just being argumentative, nothing personal, but Aren't all detectors nose heavy, its just to what degree (I don't know, I don't own them all). If you put any of them with the lower shaft extended to a detecting length, will they balance 50/50 on a fulcrum where we grip them? I can say, it's easier on my arm then my AT Pro was and way better then my CZ and better then my Whites DFX and Spectrum. Does that make them all defective?

Yes, it does make them defective in the design. Not all machines are nose heavy with the factory setup. My Garrett ADS was very heavy but very well balanced, The CTX, 3030 along with the Nokta Impact and several Tesoro Machines are also examples of well balanced equipment. I am sure their are others as well. Im not saying the unbalanced machines are not good detectors but the manufactures could sell way more machines if they took good balance into consideration.

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I purchased the Equinox 800 on April 17, 2018 now here it is May 18, 2018 and I'm sending the 800 back in for repair I have used the machine maybe 6 times. Let me also say this is one awesome machine, I do not find it nose heavy at all really enjoying the ease of swinging the coil. Now to my major issue I've had this thing one month having to send back to correct either a design issue or a quality control issue. First design issue I do not buy it's a design issue not as serious as what I've seen in flex that would have been caught early on. Quality control issue--is Minelab so overwhelmed that they are letting machines out with major design issues? I do not care how many orders you have that is not acceptable. My question is what's going to happen down road is Minelab going to be so ready and willing to replace shafts that are detective? Probably and there may be only a hand full out there that is a problem but for those of us who paid $$$ for a machine an only get a few weeks use it leaves a very Sour taste, plus you got to wonder what is next to go wrong.

GulfcoastCletus

Greenie
Mar 8, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my machine in march from dealer who got it end of January and I've no design flaws. Machine isn't nose heavy. No need for an s shaft. I'm 6'0, 185 lb skinny lad and run shaft at longest setting. No wobbles. No squirms. No complaints.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buddy has the NOX, and he approves. It does real good on silver and multiple targets in the hole. Enough said.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it does make them defective in the design.

By this argument then all detectors are defective as to my knowledge, no detector achieves a 50/50 balance at the fulcrum point (where we grip it), some just achieve a better ratio then others. Its just like in a cars f/r weight distribution which is measurable and published data.

It's measurable on a detector too. Someone just needs to build a test rig where we can mount them on a fulcrum. Take all detectors, extend the front shaft so all are the same length from the fulcrum point, and then add weight to all at a equal distanced from the fulcrum until 50/50 balance in achieved. The amount of weight added to reach the 50/50 would be our standardized measurement.

Or one could take all detectors, extend the front shaft until all have the same overall length and then measure where their fulcrum points are whereas they balance perfectly. Take this fulcrum point of where they achieve 50/50 balance and measure this distance to where we grip them. That measurement would be another standard measurement. One could also then figure the exact f/r ratio, just like on car.
balance.png

Attachments

• Balancepoint.png
    Balancepoint.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread