Which Detector and How to Instructions

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only played with a friends inexpensive Discovery detector a few time, but I enjoyed it. (I have posted my finds in that forum)

I am now considering buying an Equinox 600 (or 800), depending on what people here tell me.

I want to mainly use it at the beach in the surf and sand, but other places too. I cannot see myself getting into this hobby where it takes up most of my free time. I have to many hobbies as it is. It is just that I have a place at the beach and I enjoy walking on the beach and I found having the detector just makes it more enjoyable.

So three questions:
1) Is the 600 a good enough unit to start off with?
2) Is the 800 worth the cost difference for a beginner?
3) How do I learn to use this detector? I keep reading about "special programs" and creating your own settings and ground balancing, etc.

So what would be the best way to actually learn how to use these detectors? I have looked at videos on line, but they really do not tell me much about the actual use and how to use it.

Thanks.

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For your intended uses, save the extra money and buy the 600 which will do everything you want. The 800 has additional settings that are really very advanced settings. You won't need them for casual hobby hunting. The 600 is awesome all by itself, and no waiting list right now.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Either one will be perfect for the beach. The 800 has several features the 600 doesn’t have. Wireless headphones comes to mind and a gold field setting. All these comparison features are available to go over at the Minelab.com website.
Good luck!

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the nox 600 and love it. I just found a big gold ring with it and a few coins. I’m happy.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you want wireless headphone then the 800 is worth the money. Both detectors are very easy to learn out of the box.Don't be confused by reading the post,s watching Utube videos and all that stuff. None of it means anything to you unless you have the detector..The 800 is no more advanced than the 600 with the exception the 800 has a gold setting. With in 5 minutes of owning either detector you can use it. Once you use it you will begin to understand what all the chat is about.. Some of it is from a few very experienced guys into detecting and most is from guys that use the detector and understand them somewhat but don't be intimidated by it. If you buy a 600 and want wireless headphones you will pay in the neighborhood of $75 to $200. If you're going to do that bite the bullet and spend the extra for the 800. Again the 800 is just as easy to learn as the 600. Both are great detectors and for someone that knows little about a detector there is not a better detector on the market that is as easy to learn. Don't be confused by the iron bias, ground balance and all that stuff because you will know if you need it when you start using it and it makes way to much noise or chatters to much.. Sensitivity is probably the function you will use the most.
If it were me I would buy the 800 then you will never have any doubt if you missed something. Believe me the 600 will find as much as the 800 and functions exactly the same way. Don't worry about advanced settings because unless you understand how a detector works or have lots of experience you will never need them.. Believe me even the best with any detector will not find more than 10% more than you.
Any detector can fool you by you thinking you have a good target but it is an aluminum tab, bottle cap or rusty iron. You learn all of that by use.. Once you get 100 hours of use on it you will be as good as 90% of all of us that have one.

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want wireless headphone then the 800 is worth the money. Both detectors are very easy to learn out of the box.Don't be confused by reading the post,s watching Utube videos and all that stuff. None of it means anything to you unless you have the detector..The 800 is no more advanced than the 600 with the exception the 800 has a gold setting. With in 5 minutes of owning either detector you can use it. Once you use it you will begin to understand what all the chat is about.. Some of it is from a few very experienced guys into detecting and most is from guys that use the detector and understand them somewhat but don't be intimidated by it. If you buy a 600 and want wireless headphones you will pay in the neighborhood of $75 to $200. If you're going to do that bite the bullet and spend the extra for the 800. Again the 800 is just as easy to learn as the 600. Both are great detectors and for someone that knows little about a detector there is not a better detector on the market that is as easy to learn. Don't be confused by the iron bias, ground balance and all that stuff because you will know if you need it when you start using it and it makes way to much noise or chatters to much.. Sensitivity is probably the function you will use the most.
If it were me I would buy the 800 then you will never have any doubt if you missed something. Believe me the 600 will find as much as the 800 and functions exactly the same way. Don't worry about advanced settings because unless you understand how a detector works or have lots of experience you will never need them.. Believe me even the best with any detector will not find more than 10% more than you.
Any detector can fool you by you thinking you have a good target but it is an aluminum tab, bottle cap or rusty iron. You learn all of that by use.. Once you get 100 hours of use on it you will be as good as 90% of all of us that have one.

Sorry, but you're wrong. There are more advancements on the 800 than just gold settings. Additionally, there are headphones as low as $45 that are true APTX Low Latency. I own the ArchMage SoundClean9 Over-Ear APTX LL headphones, available from Amazon for $45, and work PERFECTLY with the 600 under Low Latency. The 800 has additional settings for Recovery, Single freq selections (though the 600 multi-freq INCLUDES those frequencies), custom tone settings, and custom user settings. NONE OF WHICH are required for the purposes of the Original Poster's use. Most people really don't need headphones at all...and the 600 includes wired headphones is noise levels are a problem. A $250 bite for the 800 vs the 600 for someone who is just planning to use the detector as a casual hobby is ridiculous. The 600 will do just fine for his purposes, and actually for most detectorists as well. I own the 600 and have an 800 on order, but my needs are hard core, not casual as the OP stated his requirements were.

Saanich, you'll be fine with the 600 and still have the option of wireless headphones if you really desire. Don't be oversold!

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
saanich --

If I were a beginner, who believes up-front that this hobby will be a "casual" one -- the 600 will be more detector than you will need. You can get a decent pair of aptX Low Latency Bluetooth headphones, and you will have a superb machine for your purposes. I truly believe that you, as a "casual" user, will NOT miss any of the advanced adjustment capabilities of the 800, and you certainly won't need the gold prospecting mode.

As for how to use the machine -- any folks here will be able to answer your questions about the Equinox specifically, but it sounds like you may have a bunch of questions about how to use a detector in general. Do you have anyone (perhaps your friend who owns the other machine) who knows enough about detecting that they could kind of teach you the "ins and outs?" Having someone to detect with, at first especially, is extremely valuable. One thing I love to do -- which helped me immensely when I was learning but even now, years later, is STILL immensely helpful, is to "compare signals." When whomever you are hunting with locates something that sounds "interesting" in some way, you listening to the same target with your machine, and then discussing together what you are hearing, is really a helpful, educational, and fun way to learn. Otherwise, if you can ask specific questions, many here are glad to try and help.

Steve

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two post above, the person wrote, "Most people really don't need headphones at all...and the 600 includes wired headphones is noise levels are a problem."

I have not read or heard anything about noise level problems. What are they referring to?

Thanks

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Saanich --

The word "is" was a typo -- should have been "if." In other words, it said that you can use the headphones supplied with the EQ 600 IF noise levels are a problem.

What SittingElf was meaning was, if you are hunting in a place where ambient noise levels are high (like on a beach near waves crashing, or near automobile traffic), then using headphones will make it easier to hear the detector (as compared to just using the detector's built-in speaker).

Steve

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do not buy a equinox for your first detector. you can get a cheaper unit with beginner setups to learn on...and if it ends up in the back of some closet your money won't be left with it.

the equinox is a great detector for first time users, but $$$ instead of $$ or even $.....if money is no issue...buy the 600 and the 800.

remember a fool and his money are easily parted...most equinox users are fools'.I own one...but not two...:laughing7:

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regarding headphones, it's a two way street as far as I'm concerned. Yes you want to block out ambient noise to hear those whisper signals but also if you are in a crowded environment like the beach during the summer, you don't want to be a nuisance with a freaking beeper going off, plus I NEVER want to bring additional attention to myself detecting, if I can avoid it. Therefore, I use headphones 100% of the time.

Regarding the OP question - 600 is what I would recommend for your situation. Get a pair of BT APTX LL headphones (Elf's reccomendation makes sense).

For a newbie, I too would generally recommend a less expensive starter machine until you have determined the hobby is for you. But if it turns out not to be for you, either Equinox will likely have great resale value. Plus I have less qualms recommending the 600 because you liked your experience with the basic machine, which is a good indicator you will stick with the hobby at some level.

If you are going to just use it at the beach, a hand scoop or light weight handled sand scoop will do for finds recovery and a mesh finds pouch is handy to let the sand fall out. But if you go into wet sand or surf, you will net a more heavy duty scoop and may want to get sports/water resistant BT APTX Ear buds because the over the ear BT Headphones don't like to get wet. If you continuously submerge the detector, BT will not work well and you will want wired waterproof headphones (expensive).

Also, remember if you want to do parks or other types of terrestrial hunting, there are other accessories you will want to make target recovery easier including a pinpointer, a sturdy hand digging tool, shovel for fields and wilderness hunting, and a finds pouch or carpenters apron for your goodies and to hold your digger and pinpointer. These all add up in the equation. If you have a friend who is an avid detectorist, you probably know this already.

Most important of all, have fun with your new adventure in the hobby!

HTH. HH

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread