scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My lesche. I dig a plug the depth of the blade. Then another couple inches at a time so I can see how deep it is. A picture of a hole doesn't tell me to much, so I take a little time to see just exactly how deep it is. The ground where I have found most of them is fill which is black dirt mixed with sand. Have no idea if that's why I'm getting them deep, but it fit's with the research I've done on the area, and talking to locals on what they've seen done to the park. Sorry no picks. Guess you'll just have to trust me.:icon_thumright:
I believe it can happen, I just don't think it is the norm like alot of windbags would have you think.

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Something doesn't sound right, I've been digging some of the deepest coins I've ever dug and on a consistent basis too. Matter of fact I just dug an 1838 seated liberty dime that was a measured 10" deep at a hard hit site, it had a beautiful deep coin warble to it.

Here's a post I made over Easter weekend where I documented some deep coins I dug and the settings I used:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/573900-eq800-5th-6th-hunts-field2-park2.html

I sure hope you do better with your EQ800, because mines been anything but a slouch.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the iron bias is zero it lets all iron audio through, if you raise the iron bias the amount of audio response from iron is reduced. I raised mine to 2 or 3 to eliminate nails from sounding off as good targets.

Thanks because that’s been a problem for me.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks because that’s been a problem for me.

Some nails do hit soIid In the low 20's on a low IB setting from my experience with the equinox but the majority of the iron falsing are "wandering" and very inconsistent high tones.

I like to raise my iron bias in areas with less trash. Almost have to run 0-2 in iron pits to find the hidden coins IMO.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some nails do hit soIid In the low 20's on a low IB setting from my experience with the equinox but the majority of the iron falsing are "wandering" and very inconsistent high tones.

I like to raise my iron bias in areas with less trash. Almost have to run 0-2 in iron pits to find the hidden coins IMO.

True - "No Free Lunch" applies. Iron Bias, like discrimination, is a filter, and like all detector filters has its drawbacks. In this case, in thick iron, iron bias may filter out high conductors in close proximity to the iron. On the 800 I like to run without iron bias, but I sometimes put the same program with some iron bias in the User Profile slot (or vice versa) that way if I happen upon a possible iron false, I can instantly switch in some iron bias by just switching between the "main" program and it's iron bias modified "twin" in the user profile slot. If the false "softens" or mutes, likely iron and I can make the decision to move on or dig. For potentially falsing big or round iron which is more resistant to iron bias filtering, I use the pinpointer to get a bead on just how big the target is.

As far as depth is concerned, I don't worry about it much or obsess over it. Most of the time I have no real idea how deep the target is when it comes out of a farm field plug because I am just trying to get it out of the hole with my shovel for quicker recovery. In parks and athletic fields, I am more careful about the plug, but still rarely take note of depth. Have faith in your machine that it will go deep enough. There is plenty of evidence the Equinox can deliver the goods at depth. I really don't think about it down to the inch. Besides, depth is only part of the equation, ability separate in trash and hit targets with a wide range of conductivities, which is what the equinox specializes at, is also key. Don't matter if the target is 10" or 3". If you can't see it at 3" because its next to a nail or because its a mid-conductor vice a high conductor, it might as well be 2 feet down.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got any pictures in the wild of a 12 inch dime, I for one would like to see it. What are you using to measure with?
My mxsport his dimes at 10. So 12 for the nox seems about right

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had and became at least proficient with four decent detectors. It has been rare for me to find coins below 7" in this mineralized, hard clay and rocky soil in western AR.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Scotty544 I hate digging deep but will on a good target signal and usually go by the depth gauge whether to dig a flap or a plug. The depth gauge is very subjective but I use it as a gauge if there are more than 2 bars as dig a plug or not. I hunt daily and have actually hit cans at 14" but I knew it was most likely a can because the strength of the signal. I can assure you I have dug over 6 coins at 12". If it ain't there you can't dig it. It's not the norm that coins are over 8" but depending the site whether there may have been site work and disturbed the soil and the coins ended up deeper or even the possibility that fill was added to the site. To darn many variables to know how or why but they do get 12" deep. On the beach in the sand I even hit a coin at 15" with my V3i when I had it. With my Equinox the deepest has been 8" at the beach

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
True - "No Free Lunch" applies. Iron Bias, like discrimination, is a filter, and like all detector filters has its drawbacks. In this case, in thick iron, iron bias may filter out high conductors in close proximity to the iron. On the 800 I like to run without iron bias, but I sometimes put the same program with some iron bias in the User Profile slot (or vice versa) that way if I happen upon a possible iron false, I can instantly switch in some iron bias by just switching between the "main" program and it's iron bias modified "twin" in the user profile slot. If the false "softens" or mutes, likely iron and I can make the decision to move on or dig. For potentially falsing big or round iron which is more resistant to iron bias filtering, I use the pinpointer to get a bead on just how big the target is.

As far as depth is concerned, I don't worry about it much or obsess over it. Most of the time I have no real idea how deep the target is when it comes out of a farm field plug because I am just trying to get it out of the hole with my shovel for quicker recovery. In parks and athletic fields, I am more careful about the plug, but still rarely take note of depth. Have faith in your machine that it will go deep enough. There is plenty of evidence the Equinox can deliver the goods at depth. I really don't think about it down to the inch. Besides, depth is only part of the equation, ability separate in trash and hit targets with a wide range of conductivities, which is what the equinox specializes at, is also key. Don't matter if the target is 10" or 3". If you can't see it at 3" because its next to a nail or because its a mid-conductor vice a high conductor, it might as well be 2 feet down.

Very true! I've been pulling silvers and IHP's at a county park that has been hammered hard.

The one coin that stands out to me was a 2" MAX deep well worn merc dime that I dug in an area close to old trolley tracks. Definitely an area swiped by various detectors and every single one of them I'm sure had the capability to hit a 2" silver dime!

So, this makes me wonder why they didn't but the 800 did.....sure, it wasn't the best sounding signal in the world but it was definitely a signal most would dig!

No complaints here, haha. Just having fun learning a new machine and also finding out how a new model will have its manufacturing issues and what not. That's a different subject but so far the dug items far outweigh any minor setbacks.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
about 10" max for most coins, occasionally 12" if I just happened to hear the faint broken unrecognizable signal and decided to investigate.

On the beach I found lowering recovery speed by one click made a big difference in depth. Strange because it didn't help the past 10 times I tried it. I was in Beach 1. I think I went from 6 to 5.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my hard Louisiana clay soil I go hunt deep in Park 1, disc 3 in a hunted out old public park ESPECIALLY with silver, but managed to deep a 10” Seated dime. I 4 years I only pulled to 3 silvers and I go very often. I customized a setting profile were my nickels (12-13) is at a 20 volume anything over 19 on 25 volume and trash and iron lower volume. I hit a solid nickel at 8-9” and it was a small thin 1900-1920 gold ring with red garnets. That another thing I sticks targets nickels deep 10” for sure I hit 5 V nickels in one day that my Max and F75 missed due to probably not as a solid reading. Super impressed with the 800 may never have to use another detector again. IMG_2856.JPG IMG_2862.JPG IMG_2913.JPG

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember, these reported depths are from the 11" Stock coil. Should be interesting to see what increased depths will be experienced when the 15" is finally released!

johnwon2

Jun 21, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark & Equinox-800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I believe it can happen, I just don't think it is the norm like alot of windbags would have you think.

I find it to be fairly common when I am on the beach in the soft white sand. My son and I pull up clad from 10"+ down just about every visit. I judge the depth using the scoop, but we don't normally have our phones out to take pics. I'll have to start snapping a couple for future posts if people want to see them.

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back old premission that pounded with my etrac found just two silver coins and tons of wheats, so went back with my equinox, factory setting park 1 and faint high tone and out comes out a 1909 barber half a bucket lister and 9in next target was a 12 , V nickle st 8 to 9 ins. My deeper coin was 10 ins a 58 Jefferson. So to to me the equinox 800 goes deep , the only person I've got prove to is myself.

DigDeepNow

Jul 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back old premission that pounded with my etrac found just two silver coins and tons of wheats, so went back with my equinox, factory setting park 1 and faint high tone and out comes out a 1909 barber half a bucket lister and 9in next target was a 12 , V nickle st 8 to 9 ins. My deeper coin was 10 ins a 58 Jefferson. So to to me the equinox 800 goes deep , the only person I've got prove to is myself.

Nice job.
Looking forward to trying an Equinox.

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Impressive! I am wondering to myself if it's a ground balancing issue. The sites I have been hitting are loaded with nails. Hard to find a spot . I went yesterday and could not find a clear place to GB
I dug two mercs in the same hole but they were shallow. Rusty nails in every dig.
It usually ground balances around 61 if I can find a clear spot.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If by "clear spot" you are seeing a lot of -9 to -7 type iron signals (in all metal) when you swing, that may not be nails or other actual ferrous targets but Equinox ground feedback signals, so go ahead and just ground balance where you are. I understand that you are finding a lot of nails in your holes, but a 61 GB sounds like you do have a lot of mineralization (although you can't just tell that from the GB number alone). As long as you are not pumping it over a large ferrous or non-ferrous target or surface nail, you should be fine and may get better depth. If your ground is heavily mineralized, then depth will be an issue, regardless. Finally, the manual says that if you cannot get the machine to balance by pumping, typically due to high mineralization effects, then try ground balancing by sweeping the coil. The other thing you can do if your ground is just crazy, is just put it in tracking GB. It works really well on this machine and I have not seen an obvious downside on depth or masking by doing that. Now that I think about it, I really recommend going with tracking and seeing what that does for you. HTH.

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If by "clear spot" you are seeing a lot of -9 to -7 type iron signals (in all metal) when you swing, that may not be nails or other actual ferrous targets but Equinox ground feedback signals, so go ahead and just ground balance where you are. I understand that you are finding a lot of nails in your holes, but a 61 GB sounds like you do have a lot of mineralization (although you can't just tell that from the GB number alone). As long as you are not pumping it over a large ferrous or non-ferrous target or surface nail, you should be fine and may get better depth. If your ground is heavily mineralized, then depth will be an issue, regardless. Finally, the manual says that if you cannot get the machine to balance by pumping, typically due to high mineralization effects, then try ground balancing by sweeping the coil. The other thing you can do if your ground is just crazy, is just put it in tracking GB. It works really well on this machine and I have not seen an obvious downside on depth or masking by doing that. Now that I think about it, I really recommend going with tracking and seeing what that does for you. HTH.
Good advice,will try going with tracking.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread