Deep coins ?

One_more_hole

Jul 17, 2017
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Equinox 800; Explorer II; Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know people exaggerate depths and some are conservative but I always use the carrot to determine and get pretty close. My deepest dime so far was a 44 wheat at carrot depth, 9". I know it will hit coins much deeper but I tend to run my 800 at recovery 7 and iron bias 1 90% of the time. The deeper coins just give a whisper but they're undeniable when you get over one.

Hello HighVDI,

I must be doing something wrong because I cannot get much depth from my Equinox 800. Soil is good, but the deepest coin I've found has been a 7" wheat cent from a pounded park. Everything else has been 4-5" range modern clad and copper memorials. I've been running Park 1 or 2 with 20-22 sensitivity and tried recovery speeds of 1 through 6 without any difference in performance. I've notched out everything below 11 and 15 through 19. Ground balance default of 0. Iron bias 6.

You mentioned the low volume signals. This has me thinking I may not have the volume set correctly because I'm hearing all target signals at the same volume.

Thoughts?
Thanks - Mike

One_more_hole

Jul 17, 2017
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back old premission that pounded with my etrac found just two silver coins and tons of wheats, so went back with my equinox, factory setting park 1 and faint high tone and out comes out a 1909 barber half a bucket lister and 9in next target was a 12 , V nickle st 8 to 9 ins. My deeper coin was 10 ins a 58 Jefferson. So to to me the equinox 800 goes deep , the only person I've got prove to is myself.

Congrats on that Barber half Jimzz!

The depths and recoveries you and others have been reporting with the Nox blow my mind. I have not found anything in the areas I have already gone over with my Explorer II. Based on what I have been reading I should be recovering some deep silver, nickels, etc. that I missed but that has not been the case and I am about 30 hours with this so far.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only have 18 hours one mine so far, but it slams an 8 inch silver half dime in my Coin garden, And a slams a 9 inch dime as well. So if you hunt carefully I'm confident it will hit a 10-12 inch dime. Ill have to bury another at 12 and see what I come up with. I already have like 100 bucks worth of coins buried haha guess it can't hurt to bury a few more. Just hurts driving em back in the ground after saving them.

Last edited:

One_more_hole

Jul 17, 2017
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had and became at least proficient with four decent detectors. It has been rare for me to find coins below 7" in this mineralized, hard clay and rocky soil in western AR.

In Michigan we have nice black top soil in the areas I hunt. Likewise, 7 inches seems to be the max for coins. Anything deeper has been larger pieces of brass or iron. I will say that when I measure I use the scale on my White's TRX. I do not include the grass in the measurement so maybe others are factoring in a couple inches for turf?

The reports of 10-12 inch deep silver dimes with the Nox are hard for me to believe given the poor depth I've experienced so far. Hopefully, I am just not setting it up properly for max depth and will eventually learn.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello HighVDI,

I must be doing something wrong because I cannot get much depth from my Equinox 800. Soil is good, but the deepest coin I've found has been a 7" wheat cent from a pounded park. Everything else has been 4-5" range modern clad and copper memorials. I've been running Park 1 or 2 with 20-22 sensitivity and tried recovery speeds of 1 through 6 without any difference in performance. I've notched out everything below 11 and 15 through 19. Ground balance default of 0. Iron bias 6.

You mentioned the low volume signals. This has me thinking I may not have the volume set correctly because I'm hearing all target signals at the same volume.

Thoughts?
Thanks - Mike

Perhaps you haven't went over a deep coin that you noticed yet?

Lately while silver hunting I've been lowering the t1-t3 volume way down and maxing the t4-t5 regions.

Maybe try iron bias around 2-3. I found deep silver in both park 1 and 2 so I know it's capable in both. I've dug deep targets in recovery 7 also. The only thing you need to watch is the faster the recovery, the more shortened the signal length becomes and they get easy to miss. I like the higher recovery because IMO the signals give way more clues. I've had peeps for signals coming in thay were high toning and had a nice faint tone with NO vdi at all or in a region that should have been low toning. I think this machine is more swayed to the audio from my experiences so far.

Maybe try to bury a few silver and other coins and keep going deeper to the limits of the machine. If you can't hit a 9-10" dime in recovery 6, sens 19 and up then IMO something could be wrong. I like searching with sens. a little on the lower side rather than on the ragged edge of falsing. Just seems to pick out the deep silver better.

I meant 9" 44 merc in my original post too....not wheat. Wheat pennies are a whole other story. This thing is a wheat penny destroyer! Lol.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug a penny at around 4 feet once! Ok...it was closer to four and a half feet but i am sure nobody would ever believe that!

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've still got my 800 in the box . Been using my 600 but going to put the 800 on charge for the weekend. Looking forward to playing with the extras.

One_more_hole

Jul 17, 2017
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps you haven't went over a deep coin that you noticed yet?

Lately while silver hunting I've been lowering the t1-t3 volume way down and maxing the t4-t5 regions.

Maybe try iron bias around 2-3. I found deep silver in both park 1 and 2 so I know it's capable in both. I've dug deep targets in recovery 7 also. The only thing you need to watch is the faster the recovery, the more shortened the signal length becomes and they get easy to miss. I like the higher recovery because IMO the signals give way more clues. I've had peeps for signals coming in thay were high toning and had a nice faint tone with NO vdi at all or in a region that should have been low toning. I think this machine is more swayed to the audio from my experiences so far.

Maybe try to bury a few silver and other coins and keep going deeper to the limits of the machine. If you can't hit a 9-10" dime in recovery 6, sens 19 and up then IMO something could be wrong. I like searching with sens. a little on the lower side rather than on the ragged edge of falsing. Just seems to pick out the deep silver better.

I meant 9" 44 merc in my original post too....not wheat. Wheat pennies are a whole other story. This thing is a wheat penny destroyer! Lol.

I appreciate the tips and will try these adjustments. I have been using 22 sens. Had it out again last night and listened for the high tones to break through on 6 recovery speed. I could hear them but few were repeatable.

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can confirm the equinox goes deep on coins and very deep on large copper and brass objects. I dug a copper faucet 18 inches and was hitting hard with the coil an inch above the ground. Saturday I dug deep wheats and a barber dime. These were all 8 to 9 inches. I was in park 1, 21 sensitivity. The signals weren't the best but I was getting a high tone and partial vdi at all angles. I imagine quarters and large coppers would ring in well at 9" +

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello HighVDI,

Thoughts?
Thanks - Mike

Keep in mind , Notching is just another filter.....every filter you add to a custom program will effect depth. Instead of notching try just lowering volume and or tone on certain areas you are currently notching. See if that makes a difference on your depth.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can read manuals, but a lot of the stuff does not sink in until much later. When you change brands like the Garrett AT Pro to the Nox 800 a whole lot of differences. For the first two weeks my brain was stuck in the AT Pro mode.
Now a month later, it is getting more into the Nox 800, but still not there 100%.

If you are a previous minelab user, I think you have a huge advantage learning the Nox. Even a newbie might have an advantage of us coming from other Brands to the Nox.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
things got better for me when I set up tone breaks to make the coins stand out and all other stuff at a lower pitchs and volumes. You can still hear all the junk in the background but when you hit the good stuff you know it.

DigDeepNow

Jul 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
things got better for me when I set up tone breaks to make the coins stand out and all other stuff at a lower pitchs and volumes. You can still hear all the junk in the background but when you hit the good stuff you know it.

I'd like to try this but am a complete noob as far as setting up tone breaks. I've been using 50 tones.

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the iron bias is zero it lets all iron audio through, if you raise the iron bias the amount of audio response from iron is reduced. I raised mine to 2 or 3 to eliminate nails from sounding off as good targets.
I thought on this Iron Bias thing for a bit. In fact thought a lot about all the other possible setting that can be increase and or decreased. Coming from the Etrac my theory has always been use as little discrimination as possible to maintain depth. Instead of increasing Iron bias which would induce discrimination and affect depth.... I've been trying to set it at zero and limit the volume and tone of non target areas. One would think this would mean less discrimination should help keep me detecting deep. Another thing I've noticed is a lower recover speed will allow deeper coins to sound better, especially when you get those high short tones that don't always repeat. I've dug a couple 10" wheats that only sounded good one way w good numbers.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You wearing your headphones? Deep signals are faint.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you are using a preset program (like Field 2) that has 50 tones set as the default, you need to change it to 5 tones first to set up these custom breakpoints.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread