Equinox Shaft Repair

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minelab ask me to return the middle shaft of my 800 to repair the shaft wobble. They sent me email last Friday with UPS pick up order and RMA, dropped off Friday afternoon at UPS, Minelab received today, just got email back saying shaft is repaired and on the way back they gave me a tracking number to track the shaft. I will give Minelab high marks for their lightening fast turnaround whether it was merely replacing the shaft or if they did some type repair. They gave me the option last week to wait until winter to do the repair or send in now, I chose now. I hope to have the shaft Friday ready to hunt Memorial Weekend.

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minelab ask me to return the middle shaft of my 800 to repair the shaft wobble. They sent me email last Friday with UPS pick up order and RMA, dropped off Friday afternoon at UPS, Minelab received today, just got email back saying shaft is repaired and on the way back they gave me a tracking number to track the shaft. I will give Minelab high marks for their lightening fast turnaround whether it was merely replacing the shaft or if they did some type repair. They gave me the option last week to wait until winter to do the repair or send in now, I chose now. I hope to have the shaft Friday ready to hunt Memorial Weekend.

Ditto here, Hal. Mine was received and repaired in one day. I returned it last Thursday.They were great with updates concerning receipt, repair, and return status. I will have it back later this week. 5/27 is my last free beach day until the day after Labor Day. Otherwise it's $20/day. (No thank you.) So I plan on making the best of the last days without a fee. I'll be back out this fall as long as I can handle it into the winter cold.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey you need to change the customer service F grade you gave them in the report card thread. Just kidding. Glad it's on its way back. Hopefully with problem solved. Let us know!

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let us know if the new shafts solve the wobble.

OP
OP
Hal2k

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey you need to change the customer service F grade you gave them in the report card thread. Just kidding. Glad it's on its way back. Hopefully with problem solved. Let us know!

Yea may need to change the grade but will wait to see if they did anything with the shaft.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea may need to change the grade but will wait to see if they did anything with the shaft.

Agreed, the best you can give it at the moment is an incomplete, which is still your overall grade for the beast, if I recall.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hal2k
If I remember right you were questioning Minelabs service. I think you got your answer. I have had to send mine in twice and each time it has been a 7 day turn around and would have been 5 days but I sent it in on a Thursday both times so they didn't receive it until Monday but it was shipped back on Tuesday and arrived on Thursday

I have to admit I have received good service from Garrett and Whites as well but Minelab has been the quickest

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's hope they upgraded the type of shaft and just didn't send you one of the same kind. Progress is sometimes slow.

OP
OP
Hal2k

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let's hope they upgraded the type of shaft and just didn't send you one of the same kind. Progress is sometimes slow.

Got the middle shaft back this morning, first thing I did was to measure the shaft and compared to the sketch with the dimensions of the one I returned. Found the new shaft to be just a little larger than one sent in about the same difference as would be if I had wrapped with electrical tape, and the one spring loaded ball that pops into the adjustmrent holes does seem stronger than the old one. Get home tonight see how it fits.

sldigger

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2013
Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800,White MXT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Minelab will have mine for two weeks including shipping, and they have told me they was just going to replace my wobbly shafts there is no fix or they have not changed the way they are making them, not sure my new one will be any better the the original ones. My Detector was only a week old when I send my shafts back so they have had them longer that I have. Hope the new ones are better, maybe mine was just a lemon. will let you know when I get them back

Last edited:

lutz

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They asked for all shafts that they received on July 5th. I received replacements of July 13th. They seem tight - time in the water will tell.

I don't remember if the original lower shaft was carbon fiber, but the low rod replacement I received yesterday is fiber.

Is your original lower shaft fiber?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Equinox received in March had a fiber lower rod.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread