Yikes. This is concerning. - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 30 of 30
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Yikes. This is concerning.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #16
    us
    Sep 2012
    D'Iberville MS
    E-Trac Equinox 800 Equinox 600
    1,190
    801 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    What's your concern if you don't have an Equinox... I have dug lots of quarters and dimes on their edge at 6" - 8".. I can assure you that you will miss more coins that are lying flat in the ground than the few coins on their edge you worry about..

    The only thing I have noticed with coins on there edge is the signal is a bit jumpy but the dominant number is the targeted coin.

    Just because some dude on a Utube video says he can't detect a coin on it's edge does not mean the Equinox cannot detect them.

    In reality I would guess maybe one coin in 300 - 400 is on it's edge anyway.. No one anywhere hunts an area completely clean of targets.


    I don't detect for the stuff I find, I detect for the stuff I haven't found.

    If I didn't find it I hope you did.


  2. #17
    us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
    3,358
    5335 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by flgliderpilot View Post
    Actually I wish there was a mode which showed VDI as a bar chart for each of the 5 frequencies, with the VDI reading above them.

    The brain is very good at finding patterns.
    That would be awesome, but probably make it cost allot more

  3. #18

    Dec 2013
    North Carolina
    XP Deus, Equinox 800
    702
    1650 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Normsel View Post
    What's your concern if you don't have an Equinox... I have dug lots of quarters and dimes on their edge at 6" - 8".. I can assure you that you will miss more coins that are lying flat in the ground than the few coins on their edge you worry about..

    The only thing I have noticed with coins on there edge is the signal is a bit jumpy but the dominant number is the targeted coin.

    Just because some dude on a Utube video says he can't detect a coin on it's edge does not mean the Equinox cannot detect them.

    In reality I would guess maybe one coin in 300 - 400 is on it's edge anyway.. No one anywhere hunts an area completely clean of targets.
    It's concerning because I am on the list to get one. Is that sufficient enough for you?
    b3y0nd3r and Davers like this.

  4. #19
    Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    Near Ground Zero for Insanity
    XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
    4,532
    7378 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Much ado about little. Nothing to see here.

    The reason Park 1 does not hit as hard on edge is because Park 1 is weighted towards the lower freuencies which do not resolve targets with a small cross section well (think about what an on edge coin looks like to a detector coil and a detection circuit that is ideally looking for a nice round metallic disc), add to that the relatively high iron bias filtering default setting and it is no wonder Park 1 has trouble. Park 2 is biased towards the higher frequencies so it tends to hit small targets and mid-conductor targets harder (it is optimized for small jewelry, especially gold jewelry), has a higher recovery speed, and has no iron bias which will enable it to potentially hit that rare on edge coin harder. I bet gold mode would pick it up easily as well, not to mention single frequency operating at 20 or 40 khz.

    No one should be panicking about these contrived outlier detecting situations you tubers like to concoct. What matters is how it does in Every Day workhorse detecting, beach detecting, and relic hunting and I have seen very little if any complaints.

    Think about it, should you really be nervous about a detector that hit the streets beginning of February that you still can't get your hands in June due to overwhelming demand. That in itself should tell you that you have a pretty solid detector coming your way.

    Besides, if it doesn't float your boat, you can likely recoup your investment.
    Last edited by vferrari; May 30, 2018 at 11:10 PM.
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."

  5. #20
    Charter Member
    us
    May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000 -- Equinox 600 -- Vanquish 540 // Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger // Bunk's Hermit Pick
    17,425
    24661 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by vferrari View Post
    Much ado about little. Nothing to see here.

    The reason Park 1 does not hit as hard on edge is because Park 1 is weighted towards the lower freuencies which do not resolve targets with a small cross section well (think about what an on edge coin looks like to a detector coil and a detection circuit that is ideally looking for a nice round mettallic disc), add to that the relatively high iron bias filtering default setting and it is no wonder Park 1 has trouble. Park two is biased towards the higher frequencies so it tends to hit small targets and mod-conductor targets harder (it is optimized for small jewelry, especially gold jewelry), has a higher recovery speed, and has no iron bias which will enable it to potentially hit that rare on edge coin harder.

    No one should be panicking about these contrived outlier detecting situations you tubers like to concoct. What matters is how it does in Every Day workhorse detecting, beach detecting, and relic hunting and I have seen very little if any complaints.

    Besides, if it doesn't float your boat, you can likely recoup your investment.

    Think about it, should you really be nervous about a detector that hit the streets beginning of February thst you still can't get your hands on due to overwhelming demand. Thst in itself should tell you that you have a pretty solid detector coming your way.
    AMEN! Or, just say "Bada-Boom, Bada-Bing."

  6. #21
    us
    Sep 2014
    Sheboygan WI
    Minelab Safari Fisher F5
    263
    465 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Here is my thought on the 800, been out 4 times with it and on the 4th time I scored 4 silvers and 3 Buffalo’s. The cool thing about it was it was in a trashy part of this park that I have hunted a half a dozen or more time with my Safari, with the normal coil, 6” and 17”. I should of found them before now at least the silvers.

    The 800 was able to see the silver through the iron or trash that was there. That’s what this detector is for, finding those last very hard targets still in the ground. I’m really impressed with it so far, a little frustrating the first couple time but just like any other detector it will click. Looking forward to finding out what this new technology will sniff out of the ground...

    Just my two cents...
    DigDeepNow, Ogre1190 and vferrari like this.

  7. #22
    Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    39,263
    32652 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeRunner2019 View Post
    I read that Park 1 has more trouble than park 2. Don't know if that's true. I don't have a machine yet to test with.
    Maybe this will help.

    Park 1 and Field 1 process a lower weighted frequency combination, as well as using algorithms that maximize ground balancing for soil, to achieve the best signal to noise ratio. Hence being most suited for general detecting, coin hunting, etc.

    Park 2 and Field 2 process a higher weighted combination of the Multi-IQ band while still ground balancing for soil. Therefore they will be more sensitive to higher frequency (low conductive) targets, but potentially more susceptible to ground noise.

    Beach 1 also processes a lower weighted combination, BUT uses different algorithms to maximise ground balancing for salt. Hence being most suited for both dry and wet sand conditions.

    Beach 2 processes a very low weighted frequency combination, using the same algorithms as Beach 1 to maximize ground balancing for salt. This search profile is designed for use in the surf and underwater.

    Gold 1 and Gold 2 process the higher weighted combination of the Multi-IQ band while still ground balancing for soil. However, they use different setting parameters better suited for gold nugget hunting.
    vferrari likes this.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

    2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

    Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

    USAF 1967-1971

    I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

    No Expiration Date!

  8. #23

    Jul 2016
    XP Deus Equinox 800
    60
    40 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by timelord View Post
    Here is my thought on the 800, been out 4 times with it and on the 4th time I scored 4 silvers and 3 Buffalo’s. The cool thing about it was it was in a trashy part of this park that I have hunted a half a dozen or more time with my Safari, with the normal coil, 6” and 17”. I should of found them before now at least the silvers.

    The 800 was able to see the silver through the iron or trash that was there. That’s what this detector is for, finding those last very hard targets still in the ground. I’m really impressed with it so far, a little frustrating the first couple time but just like any other detector it will click. Looking forward to finding out what this new technology will sniff out of the ground...

    Just my two cents...
    What were you using for a program/setup?

  9. #24
    Charter Member

    Feb 2017
    Pa
    2,691
    4228 times
    Metal Detecting
    In reality it really is a useless air test. Targets always behave differently when buried naturally.

  10. #25

    Dec 2013
    North Carolina
    XP Deus, Equinox 800
    702
    1650 times
    Metal Detecting
    It's not just coins on edge, it could be rings or a high conductive target with a small profile. I found this tiny silver cuff link at about 4 inches. Who knows how it was oriented in the ground, but it doesn't have much of a profile no matter how it's laying.



    But if this "issue" is limited to 1 or 2 of the modes, then it should be nothing to worry about.

  11. #26
    us
    Sep 2014
    Sheboygan WI
    Minelab Safari Fisher F5
    263
    465 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by DigDeepNow View Post
    What were you using for a program/setup?
    I was using Park 1 and sometimes Park 2 but Park 1 seemed to work better for me. Park 2 was to noisy but I switch to Park 2 to check the reading. It seems the depth reading is way off on Park 1. Just learning the new machine so I sure I’ll be trying different setting. Any suggestions on setting would be nice..

  12. #27

    Jul 2016
    XP Deus Equinox 800
    60
    40 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by timelord View Post
    I was using Park 1 and sometimes Park 2 but Park 1 seemed to work better for me. Park 2 was to noisy but I switch to Park 2 to check the reading. It seems the depth reading is way off on Park 1. Just learning the new machine so I sure I’ll be trying different setting. Any suggestions on setting would be nice..
    thanks

  13. #28
    us
    Ben

    Feb 2017
    Nebraska
    Equinox 800
    277
    1161 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Yes this issue is only in the park 1 and field 1 modes. In all single frequencies and in park 2 and field 2 it ids the coins and rings fine. I generally use park 2 so it's not super important to me. Still would like to see a software update to fix the issue.

    Here is my test results.



  14. #29
    us
    Sep 2015
    Southeast Grundy, Illinois
    EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
    2,962
    3280 times
    Friendly suggestion. Don't worry about it, you'll love it
    RustyGold likes this.
    "See your doctor if your detector has a detection for more then four hours!"

  15. #30
    us
    Ben

    Feb 2017
    Nebraska
    Equinox 800
    277
    1161 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by digger460 View Post
    Friendly suggestion. Don't worry about it, you'll love it
    Agreed it is an amazing machine. I think this issue only being in certain modes will be an easy fix for minelab with a software update as well.

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. yikes !
    By jeff of pa in forum Everything Else
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: May 05, 2017, 11:32 AM
  2. Huh? Umm, wha? OH! ok, eh? Hmm, YIKES! Wow! oh, Cr*p!
    By WHADIFIND in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Sep 19, 2013, 03:43 PM
  3. Yikes
    By romeo-1 in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Jul 09, 2006, 04:16 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0