Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just tested my 800 today. Hits quarter on edge at 8 inches no prob, hits dime edge at 6 inches strongly. Both would probably be able to be picked up deeper as well. Also hit my 8 inch half dime no roblem at all

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just tested my 800 today. Hits quarter on edge at 8 inches no prob, hits dime edge at 6 inches strongly. Both would probably be able to be picked up deeper as well. Also hit my 8 inch half dime no roblem at all

What mode were you in?

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Park 2 with lowered recovery speed and sensitivity at 20 on multifrequency

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The numbers are slightly lower and harder to lock on but that's coins on edge for ya with any machine I've used

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Park 2 with lowered recovery speed and sensitivity at 20 on multifrequency

I read that Park 1 has more trouble than park 2. Don't know if that's true. I don't have a machine yet to test with.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
beach modes also have issues with coins on edge, but that's the nature of most detectors. We are detecting the change in inductance of the search coil. A coin on edge has less effect on the inductance than a coin laying flat, for the same reason that a ring effects inductance more than a coin.

I suggest reading a book called "Inside the metal detector". You are right though, mutlfrequency mode is very high gain and sometimes the analysis can get a bit wonky. Switching to a single freq can sometimes simplify the target and make it easier to compute... but you are not going to find gold chains or identify targets in wet salt sant in 10khz single freq so there is a tradeoff.

Last edited:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only had a few hours on it. I'll play around more and see what I can figure out. I'm curious to go try with the single frequencies and see if it hits better.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The numbers are slightly lower and harder to lock on but that's coins on edge for ya with any machine I've used

Spot on, I also would have dug the tones in video. I tested my 800 and it hits on coin edge, yes tones are not as hard but still tells you a good target is good target..

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've only had a few hours on it. I'll play around more and see what I can figure out. I'm curious to go try with the single frequencies and see if it hits better.

Switching to 10khz single freq and seeing if the numbers are close to multifreq is a recently discovered way to identify good targets vs junk. It does work, I've had good luck with it on land and dry sand only though. Also a good way to eliminate foils.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Switching to 10khz single freq and seeing if the numbers are close to multifreq is a recently discovered way to identify good targets vs junk. It does work, I've had good luck with it on land and dry sand only though. Also a good way to eliminate foils.

What are you looking for when you do this? Just that it stays the same?

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What are you looking for when you do this? Just that it stays the same?

Right, it will be close, so if you are 12-13 in multifreq, and then switch to a custom user mode, running at 10khz only, and it jumps to 16-18, then it's probably junk. It's not a guarantee but out of the many targets I dug, i found this to be a good way to eliminate can slaw, nails, etc. I was finding targets which were 19-20 which is typically a penny. When I switched to 10khz they were 24-25... when I dug them, they were copper roofing nails every time. Just one example. I had another target which was 12-13... in 10khz it was also 12-13. When I dug it, it was a ring.

It doesn't work in wet salt water sand at all though unfortunately... thats where multifreq is almost required.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Might be something that could be addressed through software updates?.......I hope? Haha.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right, it will be close, so if you are 12-13 in multifreq, and then switch to a custom user mode, running at 10khz only, and it jumps to 16-18, then it's probably junk. It's not a guarantee but out of the many targets I dug, i found this to be a good way to eliminate can slaw, nails, etc. I was finding targets which were 19-20 which is typically a penny. When I switched to 10khz they were 24-25... when I dug them, they were copper roofing nails every time. Just one example.

It doesn't work in wet salt water sand at all though unfortunately... but thats the reason many of us bought a multifreq machine anyway.

I bought it for the cellar holes, no salt water near me. I'm hoping the extra frequencies will give it an edge over my mxsport. Especially once I can get a smaller coil for it.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Might be something that could be addressed through software updates?.......I hope? Haha.

Actually I wish there was a mode which showed VDI as a bar chart for each of the 5 frequencies, with the VDI reading above them.

The brain is very good at finding patterns.

I watched your video and I agree with what you are seeing, my machine does something similar. I found that ground balancing mostly resolved this but not completely... Did you ground balance first?

I think this could be improved with a software fix as you stated.

Last edited:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What's your concern if you don't have an Equinox... I have dug lots of quarters and dimes on their edge at 6" - 8".. I can assure you that you will miss more coins that are lying flat in the ground than the few coins on their edge you worry about..

The only thing I have noticed with coins on there edge is the signal is a bit jumpy but the dominant number is the targeted coin.

Just because some dude on a Utube video says he can't detect a coin on it's edge does not mean the Equinox cannot detect them.

In reality I would guess maybe one coin in 300 - 400 is on it's edge anyway.. No one anywhere hunts an area completely clean of targets.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually I wish there was a mode which showed VDI as a bar chart for each of the 5 frequencies, with the VDI reading above them.

The brain is very good at finding patterns.

That would be awesome, but probably make it cost allot more

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What's your concern if you don't have an Equinox... I have dug lots of quarters and dimes on their edge at 6" - 8".. I can assure you that you will miss more coins that are lying flat in the ground than the few coins on their edge you worry about..

The only thing I have noticed with coins on there edge is the signal is a bit jumpy but the dominant number is the targeted coin.

Just because some dude on a Utube video says he can't detect a coin on it's edge does not mean the Equinox cannot detect them.

In reality I would guess maybe one coin in 300 - 400 is on it's edge anyway.. No one anywhere hunts an area completely clean of targets.

It's concerning because I am on the list to get one. Is that sufficient enough for you?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Much ado about little. Nothing to see here.

The reason Park 1 does not hit as hard on edge is because Park 1 is weighted towards the lower freuencies which do not resolve targets with a small cross section well (think about what an on edge coin looks like to a detector coil and a detection circuit that is ideally looking for a nice round metallic disc), add to that the relatively high iron bias filtering default setting and it is no wonder Park 1 has trouble. Park 2 is biased towards the higher frequencies so it tends to hit small targets and mid-conductor targets harder (it is optimized for small jewelry, especially gold jewelry), has a higher recovery speed, and has no iron bias which will enable it to potentially hit that rare on edge coin harder. I bet gold mode would pick it up easily as well, not to mention single frequency operating at 20 or 40 khz.

No one should be panicking about these contrived outlier detecting situations you tubers like to concoct. What matters is how it does in Every Day workhorse detecting, beach detecting, and relic hunting and I have seen very little if any complaints.

Think about it, should you really be nervous about a detector that hit the streets beginning of February that you still can't get your hands in June due to overwhelming demand. That in itself should tell you that you have a pretty solid detector coming your way.

Besides, if it doesn't float your boat, you can likely recoup your investment.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Much ado about little. Nothing to see here.

The reason Park 1 does not hit as hard on edge is because Park 1 is weighted towards the lower freuencies which do not resolve targets with a small cross section well (think about what an on edge coin looks like to a detector coil and a detection circuit that is ideally looking for a nice round mettallic disc), add to that the relatively high iron bias filtering default setting and it is no wonder Park 1 has trouble. Park two is biased towards the higher frequencies so it tends to hit small targets and mod-conductor targets harder (it is optimized for small jewelry, especially gold jewelry), has a higher recovery speed, and has no iron bias which will enable it to potentially hit that rare on edge coin harder.

No one should be panicking about these contrived outlier detecting situations you tubers like to concoct. What matters is how it does in Every Day workhorse detecting, beach detecting, and relic hunting and I have seen very little if any complaints.

Besides, if it doesn't float your boat, you can likely recoup your investment.

Think about it, should you really be nervous about a detector that hit the streets beginning of February thst you still can't get your hands on due to overwhelming demand. Thst in itself should tell you that you have a pretty solid detector coming your way.

AMEN! Or, just say "Bada-Boom, Bada-Bing.":headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread