Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd check out the website for your airline. Lithium batteries are pretty much a no no in some circumstances. I think it depends on the size and whether it is charged or not. It may, and I say may, have to be fully discharged and in checked luggage. I was thinking of flying with one of my machines, but never followed through as the trip was cancelled.

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just the opposite. Lithium-Ion batteries should be in carry-on, NOT checked baggage. Most airlines require that those batteries have to be installed in the equipment being transported, ie computers, iPads, etc.. The detector is basically a computer. The batteries do NOT have to be fully discharged.

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Smokey, the airline said it was fine on the carryon if it is less than 100 watt hours or2 grams or less. I couldn’t find it in the manual, maybe someone knows? Thanks for the post!

Bayard

Oct 8, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1 probe, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took my Equinox on two flights recently. I had the control box, removed from the shaft, in my carryon luggage. The TSA clowns didn't say anything about it.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I looked up regs on Lithium Ion's and lithium Polymers, I found that they're not allowed to be shipped separate in your suitcase, but, required to be installed in the device. No need to discharge, but, they say to insure the device can't be accidentally turned on. I taped a cardboard cover over the touch pad. Good thing as removing the battery from a Nox is not a simple procedure and would probably void your warranty.

Larwar

Jul 23, 2014
New Richmond WI
Detector(s) used
A T Pro. Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I flew with spirit airlines just a few months ago, they told me no metal detectors would be allowed as a carry on. Do yourself a favor call the airline ask them, and save yourself a headache .good luck.

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took it on my carry on. No problems they had me take the control box out and set all electronics in the tub. I think they are used to seeing them. I had one second look at it that was it. Thanks for all the help I appreciate it. Now to find the goodies!!!!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good to know. Now all I need to do it take mine somewhere by air.

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
18.5 wh....your good to go.

battery.jpg

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't have to disassemble it. The battery is less than 25WH (18.5 WH) and per this FAA website considerrd "small electronics" and can be placed in either carry on or checked bags.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...fo/media/Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

18.5 wh....your good to go.

Good info is bears repeating, I rekon - lol.

I was trying to find that battery pic as I remembered the number but couldn't locate the pic. Thanks, fuceye.

If you can't get access to your battery because it is sealed and only have partial information on capacity and want to estimate the WH rating then you can estimate it as follows:

WH = Battery Voltage x Amp Hour rating

LiIon cells are typically 3.7V, but even if you don't know that (or the cells are stacked in series to increase voltage) you can estimate an upper bound of the voltage by reading the voltage off your DC charger (in this case it is 5 VDC).

The Equinox Battery Amp Hour rating is on the specs page in the manual = 5000 mAH which is 5AH. This also tells you that if you want an external usb battery charge bank it should be rated at 7500 to 10000mah or above in capacity (assuming 50% to 75% charge efficiency) to ensure a full charge of the battery (a good rule of thumb is to just get a charge bank that's twice the capacity of the internal battery and has the ability to put out a minimum of 2A from at least one of it's ports).

Most consumer electronics other than very large capacity, higher voltage laptop batteries are easily under the FAA 100 WH limit for small electronics that can be carried in checked or carry on luggage except e-cigarettes which are explicitly prohibited in checked baggage because they have a heating element.

Therefore, the max AH rating for the EQX is 5V × 5AH = 25 WH

Finally, contrary to what was posted in the thread somewhere, Minelab has put out information stating that removing or replacing the EQX internal battery in and of itself does not void your warranty. However, if you screw up the internal water seal o-rings in the process of doing so and subsequently suffer water intrusion damage, that's on you. So only attempt it if you know what you are doing.

HTH

Last edited:

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good info is bears repeating, I rekon - lol.

I was trying to find that battery pic as I remembered the number but couldn't locate the pic. Thanks, fuceye.

If you can't get access to your battery because it is sealed and only have partial information on capacity and want to estimate the WH rating then you can estimate it as follows:

WH = Battery Voltage x Amp Hour rating

LiIon cells are typically 3.7V, but even if you don't know that (or the cells are stacked in series to increase voltage) you can estimate an upper bound of the voltage by reading the voltage off your DC charger (in this case it is 5 VDC).

The Equinox Battery Amp Hour rating is on the specs page in the manual = 5000 mAH which is 5AH. This also tells you that if you want an external usb battery charge bank it should be rated at 7500 to 10000mah or above in capacity (assuming 50% to 75% charge efficiency) to ensure a full charge of the battery (a good rule of thumb is to just get a charge bank that's twice the capacity of the internal battery and has the ability to put out a minimum of 2A from at least one of it's ports).

Most consumer electronics other than very large capacity, higher voltage laptop batteries are easily under the FAA 100 WH limit for small electronics that can be carried in checked or carry on luggage except e-cigarettes which are explicitly prohibited in checked baggage because they have a heating element.

Therefore, the max AH rating for the EQX is 5V × 5AH = 25 WH

Finally, contrary to what was posted in the thread somewhere, Minelab has put out information stating that removing or replacing the EQX internal battery in and of itself does not void your warranty. However, if you screw up the internal water seal o-rings in the process of doing so and subsequently suffer water intrusion damage, that's on you. So only attempt it if you know what you are doing.

HTH

I think you are missing something....(you already calculated ah total @ 3.7v) just saying...:laughing7:

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did that for folks who don't have a pic of their battery - you can estimate it from the charger as an upper bound, as I wrote. But folks mainly just like to look at the pictures. Lol

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I flew with spirit airlines just a few months ago, they told me no metal detectors would be allowed as a carry on. Do yourself a favor call the airline ask them, and save yourself a headache .good luck.

Spirit Airlines is not the TSA. There is no baggage inspection past TSA. You were miss-informed. Dave

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spirit Airlines is not the TSA. There is no baggage inspection past TSA. You were miss-informed. Dave

Also, I think that had more to do with taking up overhead space since everyone tends to carry as much as they can on board Spirit for some reason. It certainly has nothing to do with LiIon batteries.

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, I think that had more to do with taking up overhead space since everyone tends to carry as much as they can on board Spirit for some reason. It certainly has nothing to do with LiIon batteries.

I had zero problems with TSA, or the Mexican equivalent. It was in my carry on. Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread