Equinox 11" Skid Plate

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious if anyone has removed their skid plate. Does it just pop right off? I tried pulling mine off but it was bending too much and I felt like I was going to break something. I also noticed there was a lot of dirt and debris in between, so it might be a good idea to clean these periodically. Mine is getting shredded by barnacles so it creates a lot of drag if I swing it on grass since it is no longer smooth. I'm thinking I need separate ones for grass and rocks. Also, does anyone know if these are actually available as a replacement part yet? I see them listed on some retail sites, but none available that I can find. Thanks!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start it then move around the coil as you pry, if you try to just pull it off from one point you can damage it.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Unlike other coil covers the Equinox coil cover has little tabs the hold the cover on. I have lost and found several covers over the years. About 12 years ago I added a "Hot Yellow" velcro strap and have not lost one since. No word on dealers getting any accessories yet, except for a couple of headphones. Not 100% positive they were Minelab headphones, but they should be at the dealers soon, so I am told.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost any coil cover on any machine or coil I have had can be tricky, way more so on the open type coil. work it little by little. And yes, sand etc can build up inside somewhat, and I think something like black sand MIGHT cause a little bit of problem. They are just skid plates, and you can detect without them for sure, but, given the cost of coils, it's having a little bit of insurance.

OP
OP
Echoplex

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Nox needs a skidplate because the bottom is not smooth and has recessed areas and deep cavities. If you don't use one those will fill right up with soil and debris, in most circumstances. Mine was pretty hard to remove thanks to built up beach gunk, but I got it off and cleaned a good little pile of sand, grit, and saltwater shmooze from it with a toothpick and brush. My skidplate is nearly toast and no one I've contacted can get the replacements. Come on, ML, get those spare parts out! Almost 8 months after release and no spare parts...

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pops right off, but this is the first machine I've had in which the coil cover is mandatory. The coil is made very thin, light, and hollow.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Nox needs a skidplate because the bottom is not smooth and has recessed areas and deep cavities. If you don't use one those will fill right up with soil and debris, in most circumstances. Mine was pretty hard to remove thanks to built up beach gunk, but I got it off and cleaned a good little pile of sand, grit, and saltwater shmooze from it with a toothpick and brush. My skidplate is nearly toast and no one I've contacted can get the replacements. Come on, ML, get those spare parts out! Almost 8 months after release and no spare parts...

You are SO right, I was not thinking of the EQ 6/800. I was thinking of all other coils I've had in the past. The bottom of the EQ's coil is different from others, my oversite. On THIS coil you DO need a skid plate, as Echoplex pointed out, and you can crack or break them in the removal, and still no spare parts can be had other then "Pre-order"

NSC

Jul 4, 2018
Detector(s) used
CT3030, Equinox800, Excalibur II, ETrac, X-Terra70. Fisher F-Pulse.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I give it quick soak in warm water and it helps to get it off.
When it gets full of sand mine is a bit tricky to get off

Juiceman

Jun 20, 2018
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pops right off but you have to go slow. my 800 was falsing allot, I cleaned a bunch of sand out and now it is better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions