SHOCKING Equinox issue!

Quisp

Feb 14, 2011
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Teknetics Omega 8500, Garrett GTA-1000, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmm. You have my attention. Next time (if there is one) please perform a noise cancel and at least put it on Auto Ground Balance before you start. I'm not saying it will make a difference but it's what you should do.

Thanks,
Dan

OP
OP
Minelab Matt

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm. You have my attention. Next time (if there is one) please perform a noise cancel and at least put it on Auto Ground Balance before you start. I'm not saying it will make a difference but it's what you should do.

Thanks,
Dan
GB....will not make difference.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Being a water hunter I've seen that many times on the Excalibur on coins and rings. Digging the target then it disappears after a scoop or more. Learned, take another scoop and 99% of the time the target will be in that scoop of sand.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not this again. Looks like a British tabloid headline, and just about as yawn inducing.

There is nothing "shocking" about the "2" modes hitting harder on the smaller profile presented by an on edge target than the "1" modes. With their higher frequency weighting they are DESIGNED to do precisely that as they are tuned to hit harder on mid conductors and small conductors of any type vs. their lower frequency Park 1/Field 1 high conductor favoring counterparts. If you are afraid of missing the odd edge-on coin, then by all means hunt in Park 2. Of course, the tradeoff is losing a tad bit of depth performance on non-edge-on high conductors. "Fixing" this actually screws up what the detector was designed to do.

Last edited:

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shocking-News.jpeg

listen for the double and triple tones...dig everything till your equinox gets to know you better.​

Last edited:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coins don't settle on edge. It just doesn't happen unless you are hunting cracked rock sea floor.

I agree, I do not like that this machine is especially weak on edge. But, my CZ and AT Pro were also weak on edge... this one is just a little worse.

For beach hunting, if you dig a coin and miss, and it gets turned on edge, it will settle flat again due to gravity.. so you wait 30 seconds, and the target is back again.

Did you try 10khz single freq?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coins don't settle on edge. It just doesn't happen unless you are hunting cracked rock sea floor.

I agree, I do not like that this machine is especially weak on edge. But, my CZ and AT Pro were also weak on edge... this one is just a little worse.

For beach hunting, if you dig a coin and miss, and it gets turned on edge, it will settle flat again due to gravity.. so you wait 30 seconds, and the target is back again.

Did you try 10khz single freq?

Agree with the above. Also, from what I can tell, it's only weak in the "1" modes. The "2" modes hit just fine. Think about the fact that on most detectors you are stuck with what you get. You don't even have the option to go to Park or Field 2. Its like 6 or 8 detectors in one. Indeed, that's shocking!

Happa54

Feb 20, 2016
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
EQX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agree with the above. Also, from what I can tell, it's only weak in the "1" modes. The "2" modes hit just fine. Think about the fact that on most detectors you are stuck with what you get. You don't even have the option to go to Park or Field 2. Its like 6 or 8 detectors in one. Indeed, that's shocking!

I agree on this too. I also did the coin on edge test with the same results but I've learned to live with it. There is a trade off here in the differences between the modes (read all about it), but I like that fact that I have 4 modes (park & field) at my finger tips. I don't have these options with my Safari, or an Etrac or Explorer. I'm not complaining.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Being a water hunter I've seen that many times on the Excalibur on coins and rings. Digging the target then it disappears after a scoop or more. Learned, take another scoop and 99% of the time the target will be in that scoop of sand.

Yep. Happens all of the time with all of my machines.

Not this again. Looks like a British tabloid headline, and just about as yawn inducing.

There is nothing "shocking" about the "2" modes hitting harder on the smaller profile presented by an on edge target than the "1" modes. With their higher frequency weighting they are DESIGNED to do precisely that as they are tuned to hit harder on mid conductors and small conductors of any type vs. their lower frequency Park 1/Field 1 high conductor favoring counterparts. If you are afraid of missing the odd edge-on coin, then by all means hunt in Park 2. Of course, the tradeoff is losing a tad bit of depth performance on non-edge-on high conductors. "Fixing" this actually screws up what the detector was designed to do.

Thanks for this explanation. I was just going to ask why but you answered it.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What do you make of all the alarmist posts about the Equinox? I've only been on tnet a couple of years, so my historical context is limited, but it seems a concerted effort to find any little thing it doesn't do as well as brand "x" and then raise the alarms like its an ill conceived inferior product overall. Decrying it's "defective", "flawed", "mis-engineered" , "shocking" etc.

The reality for me is, you can take most detectors and find an area where they don't shine or conversely outshine another.

I asked a question a couple of times now and despite the detractors, not one of them has answered it: I purchased my Equinox 600 with my military discount for 551.00 shipped to my door, this was nearly an under 500.00 dollar machine for me and I ask one simple question, what machine out there right now will give me the same features(multi frequency, individual frequency, waterproof, rechargeable, wireless headphones, auto gb, adj. parameters etc) and overall performance for the same or less money?

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What do you make of all the alarmist posts about the Equinox?

There seem to be some people that are in love with minelab and others that hate it. People on both end of the spectrum. You can tell them all kinds of stuff but they only listen to what they want to hear.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I purchased my Equinox 600 with my military discount for 551.00 shipped to my door, this was nearly an under 500.00 dollar machine for me and I ask one simple question, what machine out there right now will give me the same features(multi frequency, individual frequency, waterproof, rechargeable, wireless headphones, auto gb, adj. parameters etc) and overall performance for the same or less money?

NONE.

OP
OP
Minelab Matt

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There seem to be some people that are in love with minelab and others that hate it. People on both end of the spectrum. You can tell them all kinds of stuff but they only listen to what they want to hear.
Exactly. Search my videos i did to debunk that Lewis guy who made the vid.

He is having none of it.

Just whack "matthew moss" into youtube and i got a few anti-lewis AKA Special Boy videos...lol.

OP
OP
Minelab Matt

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly. Search my videos i did to debunk that Lewis guy who made the vid.

He is having none of it.

Just whack "matthew moss" into youtube and i got a few anti-lewis AKA Special Boy videos...lol.
Then again here they are:

Matt

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another reason why folks that have no idea what they are doing should not make videos. Just too easy to embarrass yourself. :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions