equinox 800 in threshold question

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

zeroed4x

Tenderfoot
Apr 5, 2012
Sunrise, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Eqinox 800, Fisher CZ3D and 9 others.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most of the time for most people, the lower the threshold the better for hearing faint signals but the threshold must be at a high enough level to allow the target rejection to be heard. When the Nox rejects a target it blanks out/off the audio of the threshold.
You'll need to find the balance of what is comfortable between the two. It mostly depends upon your level own of hearing and what is or is not distracting while you hunt. Everyone is different as to how they react when receiving audio ques from a specific detector. You're luckily using a very forgiving detector when setup and used correctly. The Nox usually finds even the small stuff deeper than most people want to dig when noise canceled and properly ground balanced.

dsrtdwg1

Sep 3, 2015
Brawley
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Gold Monster 1000, Keene 212v Puffer Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Threshold while prospecting , quiet while in the other modes. I could be way of base here but this is what I do.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the time for most people, the lower the threshold the better for hearing faint signals but the threshold must be at a high enough level to allow the target rejection to be heard. When the Nox rejects a target it blanks out/off the audio of the threshold.
You'll need to find the balance of what is comfortable between the two. It mostly depends upon your level own of hearing and what is or is not distracting while you hunt. Everyone is different as to how they react when receiving audio ques from a specific detector. You're luckily using a very forgiving detector when setup and used correctly. The Nox usually finds even the small stuff deeper than most people want to dig when noise canceled and properly ground balanced.

You nailed it.

zeroed4x

Tenderfoot
Apr 5, 2012
Sunrise, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Eqinox 800, Fisher CZ3D and 9 others.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Threshold while prospecting , quiet while in the other modes. I could be way of base here but this is what I do.

You're correct. I've never bothered with setting a threshold on the Nox, seems like an annoyance if you don't need it. I should have asked the OP why he is bothering with it (?)

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're correct. I've never bothered with setting a threshold on the Nox, seems like an annoyance if you don't need it. I should have asked the OP why he is bothering with it (?)

One potential advantage of the threshold is the blanking gives you an idea when your coil is passing over discriminated/notched targets which can be useful if you are trying to listen for an increased density of blanked targets without having to go to all metal. Let's say you disc'd out iron but you are looking for telltale signs of a former structure. The threshold gives you an alternative to using ALL METAL to enable you to hear if you are passing into an area with many ferrous targets indicating a nail bed and possible foundation area by listening to the threshold blanking (rather than a machine gun cacophony of iron grunt tones as you would have in ALL METAL). Also allows you to hear if you are in a non-ferrous trash area by listening to the blanking for the notched out aluminum can slaw, etc. Just another tool in the tool kit.

Note that per the manual, the non-Gold Mode threshold is a simplified threshold called "reference" threshold that merely blanks out when passing the coil over discriminated or notched targets. Gold mode has a true threshold that actually enhances weak signal audio at the threshold level which is useful for faint targets signals associated with micro nuggets. I imagine it might have some usefulness for non-gold targets such as small mid-conductive relics (e.g., percussion caps or small buttons).

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was just wondering if I was missing something in the settings that would help my searches.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the threshold. I was going to ask about it, by default it's at 0 in park one. I liked the threshold on the Safari for the reasons Vferrari stated. I only wondered that the 800 being a different machine, there was a good reason to keep it at 0. Seems it's simply ones own choice. OK then, my question answered. I've only had 4 hours at this point on the EQ, so alittle at a time. I did reduce the Iron Bias from 6 to 3 in park one, but I'm thinking to cancel that out, go with factory settings (6) since I am SO new to this machine, and just swing a lot of hours before making any changes. Although, I will use threshold. (And read everything you fella's put out about the 800). Good Forum.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread