Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that the water is getting warmer I am heading into the water more. I mostly only hunt knee/thigh high but on the calmer days I will go to chest. What headphones is everyone using? Are we still just waiting for the minelab version? I am just annoyed the machine isn't offered with them on the 600 or 800. I had to go through this with the CTX too.

what ever you decide water hunting is great.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
I am using my GG Amphibians with an adapter cable from the Equinox control panel to the ATSeries headphone connector.
I am also making one for a friends Equinox to his CTX GG Amphibian Headphones. Best of all worlds - no detector specific set of headphones.
A $40 expense to obtain the connectors needed and a bit of technical expertise in wiring them together and you water hunts can be enjoyable.
I do not have any parts, so save your time asking. The parts I have obtained came from other forum members and dealers.

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
You need an adaptive cable something like this one.

Attachments

• DSCN2420.JPG
    DSCN2420.JPG
    333.9 KB · Views: 122

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Tony Eisenhower "Storm Trouper" headphones. They're working great so far.

goodtimecharlie

Aug 11, 2012
winfield,ks.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600-Tesoro Mojave-Tesoro Tiger Shark- TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
35647316_1955856027782260_1380315034810318848_n.jpg I just finish wiring mine up today. I got the minelab type plug off of e-bay and wired them to a set of Koss QZ99 headphones. the Koss headphones are not waterproof, but I've been using a set on my Tiger Shark for over a year and they work great.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How do the amphibians sound after they are submerged once? My current waterproof headphones (non piezo), sound very base heavy and loud when dry... once I dunk them (hit by a wave, drop them, dunk my head, etc), they are very high pitched and faint... Barely useable... I can no longer hear them with volume cranked all the way up. I am ready to toss them in the trash for a pair of Amphibians.

So how are they when wet?

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Hey Cudamark,
Are you getting good volume using Tony Eisenhower's waterproof headphones cause I'm considering a pair?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Tony Eisenhower "Storm Trouper" headphones. They're working great so far.

Hey Cudamark,
Are you getting good volume using Tony Eisenhower's waterproof headphones cause I'm considering a pair?

Hey just another Tony Eisenhower data point. I sent him a pair of Gray Ghost Amphibian "generics" that were not terminated with a connector (bare pigtails) and he attached an Equinox compatible WP connector, but he also noted the Amphibian output volume was very low so he changed out the Amphibian drivers and with the drivers he uses for his Storm Trouper phones and they work pretty good. Still a little volume challenged with the Equinox but useable. We dubbed them the Frankenphones. I think the volume issue is mostly the fault of a weak amplifier output on the Equinox more than the headphones. Even the ML branded WP phones are suffering from weak audio, based on some reports. Tony's work was top notch, quick, and he kept me informed of the issue so we could get it resolved. Highly recommend him for mods or for his home-brew phones.

Agent Green

Jul 19, 2013
Midwest
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Tesoro Silver Umax,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out Tony Eisenhowers You-Tube channel he can make a pair of waterproof headphones...

OP
OP
A

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Thanks all. For $20 I have ordered the adapter and waterproof ear buds from amazon. They will be fine for now until the GG headphones come out. I'm going to pass on the minelab ones based on the low sound issues which I have experienced with those phones in the past on other machines.

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Musketeer, Tek G2, Omega and a Fisher ID Edge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1603435 I just finish wiring mine up today. I got the minelab type plug off of e-bay and wired them to a set of Koss QZ99 headphones. the Koss headphones are not waterproof, but I've been using a set on my Tiger Shark for over a year and they work great.

I'm going to do a QZ-99 conversion as I need the noise blocking at a sand bar I frequent due to boat and jet ski traffic. If you could give me the pin out that would be great.
I'm currently using the Hungarians with added insulation in the cups to reduce transmitted exterior sound but they are uncomfortable for more than a couple hours.
Thanks

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but if you plan on only going neck deep you can rig the unit up similar to the way you rig up a xp Deus.

Game over man suggested this on one of our hunts and it worked great.

Run the coax from the back of the control unit up the shaft then to your right ear cup on the cordless phones.

works great and only cost 99 cents for a length of coax from Goodwill.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be too afraid to step into a hole or take a spill and ruin the stock wireless headphones and I have not found a pair of water resistant or waterproof bluetooth headphones that are also APTX LL. I have found the latency delay to be too great on non-APTX LL headphones.

noonanda

Jan 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am using my GG Amphibians with an adapter cable from the Equinox control panel to the ATSeries headphone connector.
I am also making one for a friends Equinox to his CTX GG Amphibian Headphones. Best of all worlds - no detector specific set of headphones.
A $40 expense to obtain the connectors needed and a bit of technical expertise in wiring them together and you water hunts can be enjoyable.
I do not have any parts, so save your time asking. The parts I have obtained came from other forum members and dealers.

Are you doing this still, and if so how much. Got a pair of Grey Ghosts Garrett AT Pro headphones that I cant use.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread