Question about fresh water detecting

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are for salt water, they enable balancing to salt conditions which screw up the "normal" modes which balance to ferrous ground conditions. If you are fresh water hunting you are better off using Park or Field 1 modes (if focused on silver) and the Park 2/Field 2 modes is focused on mid-conductors like gold or small, non-coin targets The beach modes will work in freshwater, but the beach modes are set up to reduce transmit power if they encounter black sand mineralization, which you could encounter in some freshwater environs, so go with Park 1 or Park 2 (or the field modes) if you can get them to run stable.

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use fresh water mode for fresh water hunting. I just add a little dark rum or maybe even some vodka...I add just enough till I can hear the surf.

its always happy hunting in freshwater.....

DigDeepNow

Jul 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are for salt water, they enable balancing to salt conditions which screw up the "normal" modes which balance to ferrous ground conditions. If you are fresh water hunting you are better off using Park or Field 1 modes (if focused on silver) and the Park 2/Field 2 modes is focused on mid-conductors like gold or small, non-coin targets The beach modes will work in freshwater, but the beach modes are set up to reduce transmit power if they encounter black sand mineralization, which you could encounter in some freshwater environs, so go with Park 1 or Park 2 (or the field modes) if you can get them to run stable.

Thanks. This is very helpful.

OP
OP
S

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks for the input vferrari. Lake Michigan is one of the many lakes I detect and it does have high amounts of ferrous material due to the steel mills in Indiana and the lake tends to disperse it everywhere as the magnet in my scoop gets covered regardless of how far away I detect from the mills. So would I be correct to go into beach2 in those conditions?

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach 1 is stable in the fresh water. Still learning the basics and at 100 hours or so it may be time to fiddle with the fine controls.
Biggest annoyance are the small bits from aluminum twist off caps and other small bit of metallic trash.
Beach 2 for salt water, yellow & white gold, silver all give good repeatable signals. Waiting for Platinum to chime in.
Gold 1&2 are unusable, Park and Field are too "sensitive" or maybe "noisy" for my liking. Maybe some tweaking ... but until the Beach 1 for fresh water for me.

OP
OP
S

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
TY WaterWalker

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Musketeer, Tek G2, Omega and a Fisher ID Edge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt the inland lakes in the Northern Lower and Park 2 is my primary hunt mode. When I'm in an area with multitudes of tiny single digit reading targets that waste hunt time I switch to Park 1 with it's slightly lower sensitivity to the bits. It's not a cure all but helps in most cases. Park 1 still retains good sensitivity to low/mid conductors. You can waste a lot of time in park 2 chasing those bits that fall through the scoop.
Also, there can be conditions where TID 1 gives almost constant signals (possibly charcoal bits from beach fires?) in that case, raise T1 in accept reject to 1 to give them the iron tone.

Stainless wire mesh welded in scoop for the small stuff.
IMG_20180622_115032629.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread