I love this guy’s inventiveness with testing the equinox.

skarmajunga

Feb 25, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Fisher F75
XP Deus
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher CZ7A Pro
Thats pretty cool

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get precious little time to get out and detect. If I obsessed over every little air test and tupperware "ground" test like these folks do, then I would never get any detecting done. The only test for me is real world and what the thing finds in the ground. Yes, these videos are entertaining, but frankly, but there are too many variables and it's hard to replicate mother nature in a box. Folks should just get out there and find stuff IMO. If it ain't doin' it for you after a 100 hours or so, time to move on to something that is.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive air tested many machines and air testing proves nothing - these machines were made to work in soil (and water) not air
like vferrari said - variables - mineralized soils etc.
my primary machine is the CZ21 - air testing - I get readings at half the distance I would in the ground
I can pick a gold ring up at 20 ins in all metal in the water and have picked up minie and musketballs at 18 ins in ground in all metal

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I get precious little time to get out and detect. If I obsessed over every little air test and tupperware "ground" test like these folks do, then I would never get any detecting done. The only test for me is real world and what the thing finds in the ground. Yes, these videos are entertaining, but frankly, but there are too many variables and it's hard to replicate mother nature in a box. Folks should just get out there and find stuff IMO. If it ain't doin' it for you after a 100 hours or so, time to move on to something that is.

I agree but very inventive in my eyes. Here in Louisiana our mineralization is all over the place, so I have to plant a silver and work from there.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All that crap is for guys that have way to much time on their hands. I will spend my time detecting and in the long run find as a much as them anyway. The most testing I ever did was throw a coin on the ground to listen for tone..

It's a fun hobby for me and I let Minelab science out the detector and for some silly reason I think they do a pretty good job and they even have demo videos and articles about the Equinox.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree but very inventive in my eyes. Here in Louisiana our mineralization is all over the place, so I have to plant a silver and work from there.

I agree Truth it is inventive but still A LOT of time and effort invested in something that at the end of the day is highly unlikely to accurately, fully emulate real world conditions. So other than making an eye catching box and video, to what end? I certainly would not bet my reputation on the results. That's all I'm saying.

There is no way to replicate the real world in a box, that is why ML distributed preproduction Equinox test units to 20 or so detecting experts around the world and solicited feedback during months of real world testing. It seems to me a detecting technology company could come up with a similar test box, but they knew it would come up woefully short vs. real world testing.

For me, I would rather get out there and swing to prove the detector out to myself rather than fiddle with a box. Just a lot more fun and probably more informative. Smokey and I did that in Culpeper last April and baked off the Deus vs. the Equinox in brutal hot soil and insanely high ferrous junk densities. There were expected results and some surprises. Bottom line is Equinox held its own against a detector twice as expensive being handled by a detectorist with 100x more skill than the dummy swinging the Equinox (me). Lol.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All that crap is for guys that have way to much time on their hands. I will spend my time detecting and in the long run find as a much as them anyway. The most testing I ever did was throw a coin on the ground to listen for tone..

It's a fun hobby for me and I let Minelab science out the detector and for some silly reason I think they do a pretty good job and they even have demo videos and articles about the Equinox.

Looks like he’s from another country, so maybe he does have a lot of time on his hands and got very creative.

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say is "The truth can and will hurt some."

Last edited:

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice little test box. Its goes a step further than air testing by showing how the machine will react with his soil. Only issue is that it only gives an idea of depth for recent drops.

As far as these kind of tests being useful (or air tests for that matter)...they absolutely are. They can show you if your machine is working correctly and how it responds to different objects at different depths.

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
d53f2239ebfeef508900accd07edf9c5--hand-shadows-shadow-play.jpg

597px-Apollo14Shadows.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread