best starting out settings

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check out dirt fishings youtube video on coin shooting setup. It works pretty nice and is easy to set up when you're new to the machine. Plus it gives a high tone on nickels.

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
park 1,swing,dig,repete. enjoy

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That^ - More precisely, Turn On, will come up in Park 1 Detect Mode, select Settings Mode, Noise Cancel for EMI (coil in the air), Ground Balance, Do not change ANY of the other defaut settings. Go back to Detect mode and swing away. In this mode you have a five tone machine (the 5 tone segments are marked around the outer dial of the display with the first segment -9 to 0 being ferrous and that is discriminated out by default), TID 13 +/- are nickels but pull tabs and gold jewelry are in this range too. TID Mid to High 20's and Low 30's are high conductors (copper, silver coins and jewelry). Play with the pinpointer function with a test target until you get used to it. And if you want to hear everything in the ground just hit the Horseshoe All Metal Button (very convenient instant suppression of all disc and notch filters). Park 1 is geared towards high conductive coins but you will find the whole gamut of targets including mid-conductors like nickels, aluminum trash, and gold jewelry so it is a great general purpose and learn the machine mode. Avoid the temptation to switch modes just yet until you get used to the interface and the way the machine sounds and how it displays targets. Every mode changes up the frequency spectrum a little so you can optimize different types of targets and site conditions (e.g., Park 2 is geared more towards smaller, mid-conductive targets like jewelry but will still hit on high conductive coins, Field 1 is a two-tone high conductive beep dig mode, Field 2 is also geared towards mid-conductive targets but more "relic" focused. Beach 1 is designed for dry and wet salt sand (not freshwater beaches) while Beach 2 is designed for surf and deeper salt water hunting (up to 3 meters). Finally, if you have the 800 (you didn't say 600 or 800, they are little different so you it helps if you say which model you are using), the gold modes use VCO vice discrete tone audio primarily for gold nugget hunting. Each mode is like a different detector (including the need to sepearatel noise cancel and ground balance each mode) so to avoid constantly resetting your learning curve, stick with Park 1 for now to learn the machine. It has quick recovery speed like your Tesoro, so the response to targets should be similar in that respect. Enjoy and ask some more questions once you have had the chance to swing it awhile. HTH HH

Last edited:
OP
OP
nagant

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, probably get it (800) midweek. have a golden µmax so 5 tones sounds good! Reading the manual on line now. Minelab terms are strange to an old knob twister, reactivity, noise cancel, but cant wait to get it swinging out the back door! Thanks again for the help.

OP
OP
nagant

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just to thank you guy's for the help! I played around the yard ( hit by my tesoro's & a whites xlt for 18 yrs) and settled on three signals. Found a nail 4 inches and 2 inches right above the nickle! Old wheaty was about 6/7 inches and surrounded by junk as was the 2 inch deep quarter! Now i have nerve damage and about 15 minutes is all i can stand so just cleaning out the yard for now. 20180701_082128.jpg

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That^ - More precisely, Turn On, will come up in Park 1 Detect Mode, select Settings Mode, Noise Cancel for EMI (coil in the air), Ground Balance, Do not change ANY of the other defaut settings. Go back to Detect mode and swing away. In this mode you have a five tone machine (the 5 tone segments are marked around the outer dial of the display with the first segment -9 to 0 being ferrous and that is discriminated out by default), TID 13 +/- are nickels but pull tabs and gold jewelry are in this range too. TID Mid to High 20's and Low 30's are high conductors (copper, silver coins and jewelry). Play with the pinpointer function with a test target until you get used to it. And if you want to hear everything in the ground just hit the Horseshoe All Metal Button (very convenient instant suppression of all disc and notch filters). Park 1 is geared towards high conductive coins but you will find the whole gamut of targets including mid-conductors like nickels, aluminum trash, and gold jewelry so it is a great general purpose and learn the machine mode. Avoid the temptation to switch modes just yet until you get used to the interface and the way the machine sounds and how it displays targets. Every mode changes up the frequency spectrum a little so you can optimize different types of targets and site conditions (e.g., Park 2 is geared more towards smaller, mid-conductive targets like jewelry but will still hit on high conductive coins, Field 1 is a two-tone high conductive beep dig mode, Field 2 is also geared towards mid-conductive targets but more "relic" focused. Beach 1 is designed for dry and wet salt sand (not freshwater beaches) while Beach 2 is designed for surf and deeper salt water hunting (up to 3 meters). Finally, if you have the 800 (you didn't say 600 or 800, they are little different so you it helps if you say which model you are using), the gold modes use VCO vice discrete tone audio primarily for gold nugget hunting. Each mode is like a different detector (including the need to sepearatel noise cancel and ground balance each mode) so to avoid constantly resetting your learning curve, stick with Park 1 for now to learn the machine. It has quick recovery speed like your Tesoro, so the response to targets should be similar in that respect. Enjoy and ask some more questions once you have had the chance to swing it awhile. HTH HH

Yep, I was like many others I'd guess, wanted to get out there, get going on it, and find everything I've missed before, well...... dialed back a bit, and taking vferrari's advice. Sticking with Park 1, as set, no changes. (Although I did add a little threshold). Not going to worry about what I MIGHT be missing with IB set at 6, just listening, digging and learning, the way I should start out with a new machine, after all I do know better. After only 8 to 10 hrs. on it, which is nothing really, I am feeling pretty good about it. Park one, factory pre-set and go. Just to mention, if you believe in good and bad omen's, well first time out, first target, clad dime, beats foil or pull tap. 2nd day out, first target, small key in same hole as a small rusty bolt. Yesterday, a really nice silver pendant with large blue stone. Good "omen's" all with this brand new puppy. I do believe the EQ and I will have a long and happy relationship.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, I was like many others I'd guess, wanted to get out there, get going on it, and find everything I've missed before, well...... dialed back a bit, and taking vferrari's advice. Sticking with Park 1, as set, no changes. (Although I did add a little threshold). Not going to worry about what I MIGHT be missing with IB set at 6, just listening, digging and learning, the way I should start out with a new machine, after all I do know better. After only 8 to 10 hrs. on it, which is nothing really, I am feeling pretty good about it. Park one, factory pre-set and go. Just to mention, if you believe in good and bad omen's, well first time out, first target, clad dime, beats foil or pull tap. 2nd day out, first target, small key in same hole as a small rusty bolt. Yesterday, a really nice silver pendant with large blue stone. Good "omen's" all with this brand new puppy. I do believe the EQ and I will have a long and happy relationship.

We rode that long back log together, so may be it was appropriate for you to use yours first! Mine's all set to go outside for its' virgin journey. I've been reacting so negatively to the heat thus far this Summer I'm afraid to go anywhere not in the water. And I'm not dunking the 800 just like I never dunked the CTX due to the same issues. Some say maybe I should, dunk it and find out if it is waterproof or not, and if not then await a factory replacement. You & I both waited 4 months after our orders to receive them.

I wonder what the wait time is for a factory replacement.....

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We rode that long back log together, so may be it was appropriate for you to use yours first! Mine's all set to go outside for its' virgin journey. I've been reacting so negatively to the heat thus far this Summer I'm afraid to go anywhere not in the water. And I'm not dunking the 800 just like I never dunked the CTX due to the same issues. Some say maybe I should, dunk it and find out if it is waterproof or not, and if not then await a factory replacement. You & I both waited 4 months after our orders to receive them.

I wonder what the wait time is for a factory replacement.....

One week to 10 days or less depending on your proximity to the repair depot. All Equinox electronics (control head) repairs are simply replacements. They will send you out replacement unit as soon as they receive the defective unit. Warranty work gets you a free shipping label and free shipping on return. If you have any doubts about watertight integrity, best to litterally flush it out know so you can stop worrying about it and get to detecting.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand what your saying Mr. Deepseeker, and I do have the AT Pro with a new set of GG waterproof phones (NEVER YET USED) for the AT. I do see that you have some dandy "back up" machines listed though. Having said that, This Forum has so helped the "learning curve" for the EQ, wish I had access to a "Forum" like this 30yrs ago when I started with a used Garrett with 10 turn on everything knobs, did not know anyone who had a detector, and of course no laptops for a Forum to even be. Fella's like vferrari and calabash and others have been I think a great asset here (do not want it to go to their heads, but it is what it is) and anybody with any detector can also get some really good advice and tips etc. from others who have like machines as they do. Now I think you will have some good detecting with the EQ, living where you do, So good luck to us both with the new toy, and ya know, good luck as well to everybody on the Forum on your next time out, no matter what detector you have. One week to 10 days or less V? Hmmm...not bad at all, still, I hope to avoid that, after all, a four month wait.....

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand what your saying Mr. Deepseeker, and I do have the AT Pro with a new set of GG waterproof phones (NEVER YET USED) for the AT. I do see that you have some dandy "back up" machines listed though. Having said that, This Forum has so helped the "learning curve" for the EQ, wish I had access to a "Forum" like this 30yrs ago when I started with a used Garrett with 10 turn on everything knobs, did not know anyone who had a detector, and of course no laptops for a Forum to even be. Fella's like vferrari and calabash and others have been I think a great asset here (do not want it to go to their heads, but it is what it is) and anybody with any detector can also get some really good advice and tips etc. from others who have like machines as they do. Now I think you will have some good detecting with the EQ, living where you do, near insanity. So good luck to us both with the new toy, and ya know, good luck as well to everybody on the Forum on your next time out, no matter what detector you have. One week to 10 days or less V? Hmmm...not bad at all, still, I hope to avoid that, after all, a four month wait.....

Yep fortunately I have not had to test the warranty return system but I do know those few who have, and other than the wobbly rod issue which seems hit or miss, have been pleased with the quick turnaround times for their issues.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread