Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m going to detect a 1820 homesite where a cap bust dimes have been found and they were deep. I went today and found some things but no silver I’m also getting a lot of high 22/23 on deep iron. I did field 2 today running it at 4/5 sensitivity, 5 tones. It’s there a better way to maximize my deep silver chances?

Also I’m not trusting my ground balance capabilities it’s going 70-80’s because for some reason I can find a quit place while in GB on this property to same my soul. Any advice would be much appreciated. [emoji1317]

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be hunting in park 1, Ground balance at 0, 1 iron bias, recovery speed set to 6 and run my sensitivity as high as possible, but stable. I'd have my tones set to 5 and as far as tone breaks go, depends on the trash I was finding. Park 1 is best suited for higher conductive metals which it sounds like is what your primarily looking for.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second Dan's advice. If you are going after silver, Park 1 gives you your best shot. Also, if you are having trouble ground balancing, perhaps due to mineralization, then set the GB to tracking and have a go at it (in ground balance mode, single tap on the Accept/Reject button and you should see a sine wave (wavy line) icon show up on your panel). Does not sound like your ground is suited to going with the default 0 GB setting and tracking should lock in just fine on mineralized conditions without affecting your depth. The higher default iron bias setting of Park 1 (5) should help a little on iron falsing (though you run the risk of not hearing non-ferrous that is masked by thick iron) so if you want to be able to unmask amongst thick iron, then you will have to go with 1 (like Dan suggested) or 0 iron bias, but falsing will come into play. Falsing on iron can sometimes be identified by going to All Metal (horseshoe button) and seeing if the high tone is accompanied by a low ferrous tone, similar to the bottle cap trick. Also use your pinpointer to determine depth and size of the target. Big iron that is falsing, will become apparent in pinpoint mode by the size of the target as you pass your coil over it, you will see it cannot be a coin and you can move on. HTH

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd try multiple modes and settings. It's not just one factor that dictates depth. IB can play a role too. Have to find that sweet spot of sens, IB, Recovery speed and mode. I've been learning with this machine that sometimes less is more when dealing with sens. I think it keeps the machine just quiet enough to hear the whispers.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I second Dan's advice. If you are going after silver, Park 1 gives you your best shot. Also, if you are having trouble ground balancing, perhaps due to mineralization, then set the GB to tracking and have a go at it (in ground balance mode, single tap on the Accept/Reject button and you should see a sine wave (wavy line) icon show up on your panel). Does not sound like your ground is suited to going with the default 0 GB setting and tracking should lock in just fine on mineralized conditions without affecting your depth. The higher default iron bias setting of Park 1 (5) should help a little on iron falsing (though you run the risk of not hearing non-ferrous that is masked by thick iron) so if you want to be able to unmask amongst thick iron, then you will have to go with 1 (like Dan suggested) or 0 iron bias, but falsing will come into play. Falsing on iron can sometimes be identified by going to All Metal (horseshoe button) and seeing if the high tone is accompanied by a low ferrous tone, similar to the bottle cap trick. Also use your pinpointer to determine depth and size of the target. Big iron that is falsing, will become apparent in pinpoint mode by the size of the target as you pass your coil over it, you will see it cannot be a coin and you can move on. HTH

When I ground balanced today it was in the high 80’s. I get some bid pieces of big iron but a lot of small iron nails etc. I appreciate the advice v.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd try multiple modes and settings. It's not just one factor that dictates depth. IB can play a role too. Have to find that sweet spot of sens, IB, Recovery speed and mode. I've been learning with this machine that sometimes less is more when dealing with sens. I think it keeps the machine just quiet enough to hear the whispers.

Any silver here is 8” to 11” so I’ve been on sen 4 or 5. Just getting so many little pieces of iron.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd be hunting in park 1, Ground balance at 0, 1 iron bias, recovery speed set to 6 and run my sensitivity as high as possible, but stable. I'd have my tones set to 5 and as far as tone breaks go, depends on the trash I was finding. Park 1 is best suited for higher conductive metals which it sounds like is what your primarily looking for.

Thanks Dan what the advantages of keeping GB at 0. Never heard of that on any other machine. Our ground balances in the 80’s on day the AT Max.

And on the Equinox but it will GB different in different spots. I think I may need that GB track vferrari is talking about.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any silver here is 8” to 11” so I’ve been on sen 4 or 5. Just getting so many little pieces of iron.

You keep saying you are on sens 4 or 5 that is an EXTREMELY low setting for sensitivity and you can't be getting anything but surface targets with that. Do you actually mean Recovery Speed or Iron Bias, perhaps?

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You keep saying you are on sens 4 or 5 that is an EXTREMELY low setting for sensitivity and you can't be getting anything but surface targets with that. Do you actually mean Recovery Speed or Iron Bias, perhaps?

I was going to say the same thing....Sensitivity at 4-5, no way your going to dig 9-11" coins in any ground. My buddy did something similar, he was adjusting the ground balance thinking it was the sensitivity. He couldn't figure out why he couldn't get the machine to settle down :)

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

No I’m sorry I do sensitivity 20-23 I meant 4-5 recovery speed.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was going to say the same thing....Sensitivity at 4-5, no way your going to dig 9-11" coins in any ground. My buddy did something similar, he was adjusting the ground balance thinking it was the sensitivity. He couldn't figure out why he couldn't get the machine to settle down :)

Meant 4-5 recovery speed I normally do 20-23 Sensitivity

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that sounds better. And it looks like it paid off. Congrats on the silver.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question, if you switch to all metal "Horseshoe", to do a iron type check, must you re-noise cancel and re-balance, and then do it again when you switch back to say park 1? I would hope not, but must you? I DO understand you should if you are hunting in Park 1, and then switch to Park 2 later, but back and forth from again Park 1 to all metal, then back to Park 1 again?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You haven't technically switched out of that search profile by going to AM, just cancelled disc and notch so no need to noise cancel or GB again. Great feature. And once you've initially noise cancelled and GB'd any search profiles you plan to use at a site, no need to do it again as you switch between the profiles (modes) unless the machine starts to get noisy.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, question answered. Very helpful, thank's V.

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't be afraid to lift your coil off the ground a few inches to confirm depth. A true deep coin size target will quickly vanish out of reach, shallow tiny bits of metal will still be detectable, as will deep big iron. For rusty nails, pinpoint the target, turn 90 degrees, did the pinpointed location move on you? Classic rusty nail behavior. Try it a second time, if the pinpoint location keeps moving when you sweep at 90 degrees that's not going to be a coin, once pinpointed coins stay put location wise, maybe the odd 45 degree on edge coin might move a bit but not as much as a nail. One of the best tips anyone ever gave me was lifting my coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread