Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is there a proper way to shut the Nox down to preserve the headphone pairing? I've been experiencing problems recently (well, my Nox itself is "recent", really) with having to re-pair the headphones after powering down. I also had to re-pair today after walking out of range of the detector while wearing the phones. I waited quite a while for it to reconnect, but it would not. I had to shut both the phones and the controller down and go through the full pairing ritual.

Does it matter which is turned off first... phones or controller?

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have used the wireless headset twice and do not recall any problem. The manual leads me to think you may be a bit impatient as the 800 "looks" for the WM-08 connection for 15 seconds before trying to pair with APTX headset. I don't know if this is what you are experiencing, time it see what happens.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used the wireless headset twice and do not recall any problem. The manual leads me to think you may be a bit impatient as the 800 "looks" for the WM-08 connection for 15 seconds before trying to pair with APTX headset. I don't know if this is what you are experiencing, time it see what happens.

Oh, I'm talking about a LOT more than 15 seconds! Minutes.

It doesn't happen all the time, but enough to be very annoying.

Desertrokon

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2011
I don't know if it makes a difference which is turned off 1st, but I always allow the 800 to completely boot up before powering up the wireless headphones. I haven't had connection issues since I started doing this.... Hope this helps.

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve had to turn both headphones and detector off and restart them. I turn the headphones on first then the detector that seems to work for me. Funny thing is I never had a problem with the wm8 module just headphones.

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never turn them off....

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know if it makes a difference which is turned off 1st, but I always allow the 800 to completely boot up before powering up the wireless headphones. I haven't had connection issues since I started doing this.... Hope this helps.

I not only power up the detector first, but also generally perform the noise cancel before turning on the headphones, so timing is certainly not the issue.

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the club:laughing7:. I had a hell of a time too. You need to turn on your headphones first and then the NOX. Won't take long to pair. If you have an iPhone put in airplane mode. Hope this helps!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the least problems if I turn on the headphones first, then the detector. After I'm done, I turn off the headphones first, then the detector.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the least problems if I turn on the headphones first, then the detector. After I'm done, I turn off the headphones first, then the detector.

Same here.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember not to have the WM8 turned on as it connects first and the BT hp will not connect, Equinox is designed to look for the WM8 first, after it gives up looking for WM8 it then looks for the BT headphones.

Since I originally connected my BT hp to my Equinox it always connects when I turn it on.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember not to have the WM8 turned on as it connects first and the BT hp will not connect, Equinox is designed to look for the WM8 first, after it gives up looking for WM8 it then looks for the BT headphones.

Since I originally connected my BT hp to my Equinox it always connects when I turn it on.

Good advice but it only looks for the WM08 when in pairing mode, not when simply attempting reconnecting with the last paired device (e.g., when turning the machine on). If you pair the WM08 with the Equinox, then the BT headphones will no longer be paired with the Equinox. My suggestion is to attempt to factory reset the headphones as descibed on p. 57 of the manual. If that does not do the trick, consider a factory reset of the Equinox. Also make sure you have not paired the headset with any other BT devices like a smart phone. Even though the headphones ca be paired with two bt devices, I avoid doing it because the phone might try to connect before the Equinox connects, which can delay or disrupt the reconnection process.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, all that suggested turning the headphones on (and off) first. I'll give that a try... I've been doing just the opposite.

AurumHunter024

May 10, 2018
CO, 4 corners
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve always turned on the NOX & noise canceled previous to turning on the headphones.
I’ve not experienced any issues thus far.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last night I tried turning the headphones on first, and still ended up having to re-pair after waiting about 2 minutes for them to connect.

Even aside from this problem, I am not thrilled with these headphones in general. What's with those 3 infinitesimally tiny LEDs? How can you hear the ascending & descending tones to know when they have turned on or off, when you don't have the phones on your head? Why such a teensy ON/OFF button that I can't use when they phones are on my head? And why on earth are the ear pads so small? They hurt!!

(I'm also not thrilled about being tethered to the WM08 either though)

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last night I tried turning the headphones on first, and still ended up having to re-pair after waiting about 2 minutes for them to connect.

Even aside from this problem, I am not thrilled with these headphones in general. What's with those 3 infinitesimally tiny LEDs? How can you hear the ascending & descending tones to know when they have turned on or off, when you don't have the phones on your head? Why such a teensy ON/OFF button that I can't use when they phones are on my head? And why on earth are the ear pads so small? They hurt!!

(I'm also not thrilled about being tethered to the WM08 either though)

You really should factory reset the phones and even the EQX if that is not too painful (i.e., if you don't have too many customizations set). This helped another user who's headphones were acting up after a time (they turned on and showed connected but the volume buttons wouldn't work). Sometimes the automatically adjusted settings in the bluetooth comms stack just get bollocksed up and you have to start from scratch to clear the stored settings and start from scratch. As far as BT alternatives, here are a couple of relatively inexpensive BT APTX LL headphones that are available:

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-He...=UTF8&qid=1530974484&sr=1-1&keywords=ARCHMAGE

Though these are "on the ear" and may not be comfortable for you.

The following are "over the ear" phones:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075VLWPXF/ref=psdc_172541_t1_B01GGKNYOQ

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077SRNRQM/ref=psdc_172541_t3_B01GGKNYOQ

https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Wir...sr=8-3&keywords=avantree+bluetooth+headphones

For reference, these are the clones of the ML phones:

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-He...ie=UTF8&qid=1530971366&sr=8-3&keywords=MICCUS

I have only tried the Miccus phones and am just providing the others for info/research purposes only, I can't speak to compatibility and reliability.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all that digging into headphones, vferrari! I will try the full resets later once everything is charged up. I don't think I will be buying any more phones though. I already have two pair for the Deus and a pair of Gray Ghosts that I don't use. That probably doesn't sound like much to some of you guys, but its enough for me, at least without being able to try before buying.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all that digging into headphones, vferrari! I will try the full resets later once everything is charged up. I don't think I will be buying any more phones though. I already have two pair for the Deus and a pair of Gray Ghosts that I don't use. That probably doesn't sound like much to some of you guys, but its enough for me, at least without being able to try before buying.

I don't think you need to go get those either but you were sounding really down on them so I thought I would put those options out there for you and perhaps others with EQX 600's might find something they can use.

Agent Green

Jul 19, 2013
Midwest
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Tesoro Silver Umax,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes it takes a few seconds to pair, but works better if the ear buds are on then turn on the nox.. I used them most of the weekend.. worked great..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread