5 tones or 50 tones in iron? That is the question.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: 5 tones or 50 tones in iron? That is the question.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
    EQUINOX 800
    23280 times
    Metal Detecting

5 tones or 50 tones in iron? That is the question.

I going to my site to look for that small silver in those nails I believe I lucked up last time with I have no problems with. But I used 50 tones today in a field setting semi trashy and I felt I could distinguish better. Will 50 tones work as well in iron?

us
    Aug 2014
    Laconia, NH
    Currently: XP Deus v4.1 Minelab Equinox 800 Fisher Gold Bug 2 Previously: Garrett GTA 500 Garrett Ultra GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 1250
    877 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Ok, imagine you're sitting at your computer, staring at the monitor. On the monitor is a photo of a coin which is lying on the sidewalk.

Now would you see that coin better and be able to tell that it is indeed a coin better on a 640 dpi monitor or on a 1080 dpi monitor?

That is the difference.
    AurumHunter024 and Possum like this.

us
    Aug 2014
    Laconia, NH
    Currently: XP Deus v4.1 Minelab Equinox 800 Fisher Gold Bug 2 Previously: Garrett GTA 500 Garrett Ultra GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 1250
    877 times
    If I am mistaken (which I often am), I hope that someone will take the time to correct me.
    Truth and Possum like this.

Charter Member
    us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
    EQUINOX 800
    23280 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by laidback4sho View Post
    If I am mistaken (which I often am), I hope that someone will take the time to correct me.
    Me too because I don’t know crap about monitors lol
    laidback4sho and Possum like this.

us
    Aug 2014
    Laconia, NH
    877 times
    Lol, ok, well what I was saying is that the higher the resolution of the monitor, the more detail you can see in the picture. Same with metal detectors and their tones as far as i can tell. I know on my Deus it's that way. Full tones tells me so much more than two or three tones.
    Last edited by laidback4sho; Jul 04, 2018 at 04:42 AM.
    Truth and Possum like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    22815 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Thinking of monitors, if I have 100 icons on the screen, which btw I do, I find it easier to focus on the screen with fewer items.

It's all going to depend on how your brain is wired. Mine would get confused. I only use either my beep and go or 5 tones. Since I'm looking for relics, I mostly dig it all and let God sort it out. It's worked very well for me. In parks, I think it's going to be a try it to see if you like it scenario.
    laidback4sho and Possum like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    Near Ground Zero for Insanity
    XP Deus with HF Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek Delta/Whites MXT/Garrett Carrot/Piranha Relic Shovel
    6419 times
    Quote Originally Posted by laidback4sho View Post
    No, that was a great analogy. I was going to say something similar, what if the vdi on your detector only had 5 numbers? The thing is with audio you get even more information than the vdi number because the "quality" (not just the pitch) of the audio can tell you a lot about the target. For example bottlecaps can come in with a number and tone pitch similar to nickels (detectors like small round objects regardless of conductivity), but I have found the bottlecap tone to sound more hollow or soft vs. the sharp defined ping sound of a coin. Similarly a bent target may sound more distorted. So that is why audio + vdi. You take that audio target info to the next level when you go 50 tones and that is what laid back is saying. Def 50 tones is the way to go if your head doesn't explode processing the additional audio info.
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."

Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2015
    NW CT
    Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer Vibra-probe / TRX pp
    1472 times
    MD & NA artifacts
    Quote Originally Posted by vferrari View Post
    No, that was a great analogy. I was going to say something similar, what if the vdi on your detector only had 5 numbers? The thing is with audio you get even more information than the vdi number because the "quality" (not just the pitch) of the audio can tell you a lot about the target. For example bottlecaps can come in with a number and tone pitch similar to nickels (detectors like small round objects regardless of conductivity), but I have found the bottlecap tone to sound more hollow or soft vs. the sharp defined ping sound of a coin. Similarly a bent target may sound more distorted. So that is why audio + vdi. You take that audio target info to the next level when you go 50 tones and that is what laid back is saying. Def 50 tones is the way to go if your head doesn't explode processing the additional audio info.
    Man, I wish I wasn't tone deaf!
    HH
    dts
    Possum likes this.

us
    Sep 2014
    Sheboygan WI
    Minelab Safari Fisher F5
    464 times
    I use 50 tones, train your ears and the good coins sound sweet. Just found 5 Mercury dimes last Sunday and the sounded sweet. Get use to hearing your target it’s really helps to decide if you should dig it.

us
    Sep 2012
    D'Iberville MS
    E-Trac Equinox 800 Equinox 600
    792 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I been using 50 tones lately and prefer it over 5 tones. I been using it a month and just now starting recognize the individual tones to determine dig or not dig. seems to me each nickel, copper or clad has its own signature in 50 tones and when I hear it I dig it. Been hitting more nickels lately in 50 tones

I don't detect for the stuff I find, I detect for the stuff I haven't found.

If I didn't find it I hope you did.

us
    Sep 2015
    Brawley
    ,Minelab Equinox 800, GGT Sluice, Keene 212v Dry Washer
    212 times
    50 tones for me. I decided early on that I should try to understand what the detector was relaying info wise. Tried with my T2, it didn't work for me. It is all I use with my 800.
    Truth, vferrari and laidback4sho like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2015
    NW CT
    Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer Vibra-probe / TRX pp
    1472 times
    MD & NA artifacts
    Quote Originally Posted by timelord View Post
    I use 50 tones, train your ears and the good coins sound sweet. Just found 5 Mercury dimes last Sunday and the sounded sweet. Get use to hearing your target it’s really helps to decide if you should dig it.
    Thanks for the good advice, timelord. I'm like the amateur golfer who never practices, never takes lessons, plays twice a month and then complains that he can't beak 110. When I get the detector in my hands I'm always heading out to the field. Maybe if I put in a little practice time I'd learn to discriminate the tones. One more thing on my "to do someday" list.
    HH
    dts
    Truth likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800.
    2937 times
    I've been using 50 tones on the Safari for some time now, at first it drove me a little crazy, then one day it just "clicked" for me. So.....whenever I may receive the 800, I should be good to go with it. I will compare the two on various targets just to see how much they match up (the sound) and then go from there. It will be two way different machines though, one very slow, and the 800 it would seem very fast. Can pretty much forget about the VDI's, not so swell on the Safari, and that's fine, it "the sound" that gets our attention. Looking forward to it.

us
    Jun 2015
    ES of Maryland
    XP Deus Minelab Equinox
    8597 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Only ever used full tones on the the Deus so 50 tones on the nox is a smooth transition
    Truth likes this.
    Favorite finds
    Colonial Silver Pomander-17th century buckles- Cut Pine Tree Shilling- Louis XIV 4 Sols- 12 Spanish Cobs- Cut Pistareen-1759 Half Real-colonial silver cufflinks-1781 Half Real-gold cufflink- 1814 Half Real-1827 & 1831 Mexico Republic One Reales-1830 Bust Dime-1852 Gold $1-50 Seated silvers-5 Trimes-1865 French 50 centimes love token- 6 gold rings

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    Near Ground Zero for Insanity
    XP Deus with HF Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek Delta/Whites MXT/Garrett Carrot/Piranha Relic Shovel
    6419 times
    Quote Originally Posted by toasted View Post
    Only ever used full tones on the the Deus so 50 tones on the nox is a smooth transition
    Full tones on the Deus did have drawbacks (ferrous down averaging of non-ferrous was one, lack of iron tone if you used discrimination, and tone shifting with frequency - these are all remedied with 5 tones but then again, it's five tones - which is not full tones). On the Equinox, however, 50 tones is awesome because their is no ferrous down averaging from what I can tell and if you want to "hear iron" in 50 tones you can instantly cut disc in or out using the horseshoe All Metal button (a feature that I find to be more and more useful every time I use the detector) or you can use the threshold feature (which blanks the threshold tone when the coil goes over any discriminated or notched out target). Once you get used to 50 tones, there is no down side on the Equinox to using it vs. the way XP implemented it on the Deus. So I like 50 tones better than the Deus full tones implementation and agree with you that it was an easy transition from Deus to Equinox in this respect.
    Last edited by vferrari; Jul 05, 2018 at 08:39 AM.
    laidback4sho and Truth like this.
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links