Aftermarket Headphone adaptor for Equinox

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey all,

I know there's probably a thread out there that's covered this, however if there hasn't been one, then maybe this will help those who are interested in buying an adaptor that'll allow you to run your own aftermarket headphones with a 1/4 inch (6.35mm) male jack converter cable / adaptor.

It seems there's a lot of different 3.5mm 1/8-inch Audio Male to 6.35mm 1/4-inch Female Jack converter / adaptors out there, but most are geared towards stereo adaptation instead of mono. I've found that the stereo jacks will work, however you still hear the audible signal from the unit's speaker as well as through your headphones, whereas with the MONO adaptor will only allow an audible response to be heard through your aftermarket headphones. The only way to convert the stereo jack to the mono is to cut two of the stereo jacks three wires, solder them together, which should revert it back to a mono style jack, but that’s something Vferrari will have to explain, because I know in my head what I’m thinking but I just can’t seem to put it on paper where you would understand it, getting old I rekon... :BangHead::dontknow::icon_scratch::BangHead:

I just bought my mono adaptor on Amazon Prime for $6.99, vs the $40.00 OEM version. I got it with two-day free shipping also!!! After receiving it, I immediately tried it out on the NOX 800's control head and WM-08. It fit perfectly without any altercations and worked just like it's supposed to when used with my aftermarket Sun Ray Pro Gold headphones!!! The sound was clear and crisp and there was no audible signal coming from the detectors built-in speaker. I truly hope this isn't a repost and it'll help some of you that's wanting to use their old go to aftermarket headphones. (This is not a waterproof adaptor, but it could possibly be modified as such, not sure)

Vferrari, Maybe you could explain in better detail why the mono adaptors works better that the stereo adaptor on the NOX. I'm just providing info based on what I've seen and tried, but you are waaaaaayyyyy mo smarter that this po old country boy... :icon_thumleft:

P.S. I've provided the URL, pic and description...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M6CQYUK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

61O+NwlfpyL__SL1500_.jpg

CGTime Golden Plated 3.5mm MONO 1/8 inch Audio Male to
6.35mm 1/4 inch Female Jack Converter Cable Cord Adapter (25CM/10Inch)

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great, but NOT waterproof!

OP
OP
Possum

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great, but NOT waterproof!

Unfortunately WaterWalker their not, but I'm sure with a little time I could make them waterproof, but god knows what it would look like :dontknow: :laughing7: Sorry bro... "D"

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought my mono adaptor on Amazon Prime for $6.99, vs the $40.00 OEM version.

Okay but make sure you secure the cord so that the cord doesn't pull on that 1/8 inch jack. The screw in adapter would be worth avoiding having to send the machine in for repair of the 1/8 jack. When the Minelab Explorer first came out it had a 1/8 headphone jack, the headphone cord pulling on the jack destroyed them pretty quickly. Later Minelab changed to a 1/4 inch jack, lasted longer but even those broke eventually.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately WaterWalker their not, but I'm sure with a little time I could make them waterproof, but god knows what it would look like :dontknow: :laughing7: Sorry bro... "D"

Regarding the connector, can't add anything. The way ML has the wired up the jack, you need a mono connector in order to cut out the Equinox speaker. You can use either a mono or stereo adapter for the WM08 module as it has no speaker. The adapter shown is fine for dry land use as long as you provide strain relief to protect the control pod as Charles stated.

Regarding it being waterproof, that is some of what you are paying ML for as the screw in connector on the plug side of the ML adapter prevents water intrusion into the control pod jack. Now water theoretically can't get into the control pod via The jack because there is a seal behind the jack, but if you don't use a variant of the screw in waterproof connector, water will get into the jack cavity and if it is saltwater and not thorougly flushed after use, will corrode the jack contacts over time. It is a hard thing to flush and if you use too much water pressure may blow water past the seals, which would be bad. So if you are going to dunk the control head or use a wired set of headphones, should use a screw on plug on the connector or protect the port with the supplied port cover. By the time you purchase the right parts to make the OP adapter waterproof, you might as well have gotten the ML cable (or rolled your own from scratch). The ML screw on connector also provides strain relief for the adapter pigtail which protects the control head jack from mechanical damage from the cord. Note also that the 1/4" jack on the ML adapter is NOT waterproof and should not be submerged and needs protection if you are going to use it in the rain.

Last edited:

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info guys. I bought and tried a stereo adapter and I can’t hear anything at all. Now I’m thinking maybe miccus s71 stealth bluetooth headphones. What do you all think. I really don’t like the corded headphones that came with my 600. and the minelab bluetooth headphones are $100.00 more than the miccus. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. And thanks for starting this post.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the miccus full time as my primary headphones (I started using them with my GPX BEFORE I got the Equinox by using a cheap APTX LL transmitter plugged into the GPX headphone jack) and keep the ML's as a backup. Don't want to get the purdy ML logo all scratched up from use. LOL. So yeah, the Miccus phones work perfectly fine as cost effective clones of the expensive ML phones.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting I expected the jack to be a standard stereo headphone jack, because standard stereo headphones work. I can understand going from 3.5mm stereo -> 1/4" Mono for mono headphones that makes sense also, but a MONO 3.5mm plug confuses me. Wouldn't this short the right side of the stereo output to ground?

Screen Shot 2018-07-07 at 9.47.17 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-07 at 9.47.23 AM.png

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This ML article for the 3030 describes mono and stereo plug pinout wiring to enable two-speaker mono detector headphones to work with ML jacks and to properly cut out the local speaker (even though this describes 1/4" jacks it is just as applicable to the 1/8" jacks).

https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/93182/KBA_21-3 CTX 3030 Audio Options.pdf

The key is that if you are using a stereo plug, the ring and sleeve need to be connected together for the plug to be detected to turn off the speaker. Typical stereo jacks such as with adapters, connect the ring and sleeve separately. It all depends on how the headphone speakers are connected to the plug. ML assumes the tip is the audio (+) and the ring is audio (-) and the ring and sleeve are at the same potential to so the detector can "sense" the plug is there to cut off the speaker (the sleeve goes to that speaker cutoff circuit).

Typically you don't have a mic connection on detecting headphones, too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Possum

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use the miccus full time as my primary headphones (I started using them with my GPX BEFORE I got the Equinox by using a cheap APTX LL transmitter plugged into the GPX headphone jack) and keep the ML's as a backup. Don't want to get the purdy ML logo all scratched up from use. LOL. So yeah, the Miccus phones work perfectly fine as cost effective clones of the expensive ML phones.

"V", What's the lag time differences between the Miccus Bluetooth Headphones vs Minelab's Bluetooth equivalent? "D"

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"V", What's the lag time differences between the Miccus Bluetooth Headphones vs Minelab's Bluetooth equivalent? "D"

There should be no difference as they are the same headphones. APTX LL delay is 30 to 40ms.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man o man, here I go again. Confused, with the 800's WM-08, I will not be able to just plug in a set of Grey Ghost headphones, which has the 1/4" jack, I will now need an adaptor (1/4 to 1/8) and not any adaptor will work? If so, it IS a little disappointing in that both my X-Terra and Safari has the 1/4". So, it would seem as though I'll need to find a (MONO) CGTime Golden Plated 3.5 MONO 1/8" audio to 1/4" convertor cable cord adaptor to make it all work? Swell, isn't that just dandy. Thank's for the infro. Possumcop.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Especially for the WM08.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know if the CGTime adaptor as shown on top will also work with the 600?, a friend has the 6 and I loaned him a set of GG Headphones to try with it, just need the correct adaptor, and this one just may be it.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No difference between the 600 and 800 as far as the headphone connector is concerned. If it works on one it should work on the other.

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No difference between the 600 and 800 as far as the headphone connector is concerned. If it works on one it should work on the other.

I am down in Mexico right now with the Minelab 1/8 to 1/4. I can confirm that it will not work with the Black widows or Sun Ray phones. NIETHER plugged into the machine directly or the WM08. I am rather pissed. If someone can tell me what I need to buy to go between the minilab cable and my headphone jack I would really appreciate it. Don't hold back on a link or picture. Dave

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought 3 of "Possomcop"s recommendation. Worked fine with both the 6 and 800. Three of them were about $21 if I remember. Used Grey Ghost headphones, but then 1/4" jack is a 1/4" jack.

antigrav1117

Tenderfoot
May 28, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update for those interested. Bought two adaptors for DIY wired headphones. One off fleabay, the other from kellyco. Both have the same issue, the Male threads are about 1/4" too long and do not allow the tightening ring to mate up to the face of the port. Thought you all ought but t to know.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Female connector on detector side has internal o-ring, I bought kellyco cable that is waterproof, added external o-ring to make side of connector, now both coil and headphones have internal and external o-rings.

20180909_103232.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread