Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree181Likes

Thread: One thing I知 not liking about the 800

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Nov 2015
    178 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronzie View Post
    This was my thoughts in trashy, iron areas with my Explorer. I really loved my Explorer but it didn't come close to my Outlaw in these areas. I'm still going to get the Nox 800 over this coming winter because I miss having a Minelab. I'll just stick with the Outlaw in those types of conditions.
    Agree the Explorer wasn't a great in heavy trash, but I learned to master it in iron around Albany, NY area which was founded in the 1600's. Working iron, its a learning process but if you setup an Explorer properly, wielded it properly, and understood what the machine was telling you it was quite effective in iron.

Now a rusty nail infested hell hole, you had to rethink your game plan with an Explorer. There was this 1800's park in downtown Albany. One edge of that park was first a park, then houses were built on it in the 1800's, then torn down and todays its a park again. The rust nails are so thick there that in spite of several hunts with the stock coil, nada a complete skunk. But it always irritated me because the rest of the park was littered with old coins. So one day I put the Minelab 8 inch coil on my Explorer and waded into that mess of nails, BINGO Indian head cents, seated, barbers, large cents popped out all over the place.
    Truth1253 and Hawks88 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    4980 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by gene the machine View Post
    I've pretty much given up on the Nox. It's an iron magnet. I've tried everything that the forums have suggested and can find various sizes and shapes of iron with great sounding TID's at every TID number. tried no disc, high disc, no IB, high IB, 90 degree, lower sans, etc. and anything else that you can think of. It's now my emergency backup machine and about the only thing that I MIGHT use it for is water hunting but that's about it.
    That's strange......my 800 is wonderful in heavy iron compared to other machines (several dozen models) I've used in the 48 years I've been doing this. Around fire rings at the beach, it's not unusual to have a half dozen nails under the coil at any one time. The Nox will still sniff out a non-ferrous target hiding among them. I haven't made any major mods to the stock programs either. I use Beach 1 and raise the recovery rate to 8 (max) and adjust sensitivity as needed. I swing a bit slower, but, that's pretty much it.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2014
    Laconia, NH
    Currently: XP Deus v4.1 Minelab Equinox 800 Fisher Gold Bug 2 Previously: Garrett GTA 500 Garrett Ultra GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 1250
    754 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    That's strange......my 800 is wonderful in heavy iron compared to other machines (several dozen models) I've used in the 48 years I've been doing this. Around fire rings at the beach, it's not unusual to have a half dozen nails under the coil at any one time. The Nox will still sniff out a non-ferrous target hiding among them. I haven't made any major mods to the stock programs either. I use Beach 1 and raise the recovery rate to 8 (max) and adjust sensitivity as needed. I swing a bit slower, but, that's pretty much it.
    Same. I'm having no trouble at all. I dig very little ferrous trash with my 800. I generally run iron bias at 3 and reactivity at 4 to 6, depending on how trashy the area is. And I generally swing slower with the Equinox than with the Deus.

Nov 2015
    178 times
    Beach 1, for added depth? Less noise in mineralized ground? Just curious.

Charter Member
    us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs....Born in New Orleans
    EQUINOX 800 Fisher F75 LTD AT MAX
    9955 times
    Metal Detecting
    I知 learning a lot from this thread thank you and keep the comments coming.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    12459 times
    Banner Finds (5)
    Are you using either park 2 or field 2 out of the box? No tweaks? Tweaks sometimes wreck things. Sometimes.
    CharlesUpstateNY likes this.

Apr 2015
    CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
    1156 times
    Metal Detecting
    Are you doing the wiggle back method to check for iron with the front tip of the coil? It also helps to turn up the volume of iron.

Not sure why people are having so much trouble with iron.. disc notches is not the way to deal with iron.
    Last edited by flgliderpilot; Jul 10, 2018 at 04:04 PM.
    Minelab Equinox 800,Fisher CZ-21, Excalibur II

... waiting to see that elusive dowser on the beach with a bucket of gold rings ...

Nov 2015
    178 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    Are you using either park 2 or field 2 out of the box? No tweaks? Tweaks sometimes wreck things. Sometimes.
    ^^^ what smokey said. I only read half the EQ manual and thoughtful adjustment of settings seems wise. All kinds of information to pay attention to in the manual, and to ignore. Minelab's take on what mode to use in dry sand is totally wrong! Some guys yesterday seemed surprised to discover Beach 2 operates at reduced transmit power vs Beach 1, that's buried on page 25.

In other news its 2pm and Fedex still hasn't showed up with my EQ800
    Truth1253 and Hawks88 like this.

Nov 2015
    178 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    1943 Merc, I had your experience when I got the Deus HF coil. I went back to my hunted out CW site and pulled out another dozen minie balls and maybe that many buttons, an early flying eagle cent, I think 1858, the common one, and a kepi hat letter "A" amongst other things. And I LOVE the tiny percussion caps.

People gave up on that one particular site about 5 years ago. The owners tell me no one goes there anymore but me.
    My Se Pro Explorer is a complete FAIL at one of my sites, the Deus and HF round coil at 54 kHz got more than a dozen buttons and a few rifle slugs. Se Pro gave up at about 5 inches of depth, targets were swamped by the mineralized ground beyond that depth. Se Pro did pick off a Merc though, some things never change Explorers and silver coins lol.

Charter Member
    us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs....Born in New Orleans
    EQUINOX 800 Fisher F75 LTD AT MAX
    9955 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesUpstateNY View Post
    ^^^ what smokey said. I only read half the EQ manual and thoughtful adjustment of settings seems wise. All kinds of information to pay attention to in the manual, and to ignore. Minelab's take on what mode to use in dry sand is totally wrong! Some guys yesterday seemed surprised to discover Beach 2 operates at reduced transmit power vs Beach 1, that's buried on page 25.

In other news its 2pm and Fedex still hasn't showed up with my EQ800
    That痴 it I知 gonna read the manual which I have printed (took up all my ink) but that痴 as far as I got. I知 gonna do it!

Not tonight but differently probably tomorrow.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    4980 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Beach 1, for added depth? Less noise in mineralized ground? Just curious.
    Yes, Beach 1 seems to be a bit deeper, but, I've used Beach 2 also.....though mostly in the salt water where it's more stable than Beach 1. Mineralization doesn't seem to be an issue with either of those programs that a slight change in sensitivity won't cure. Usually, it's just black sand that might require some tweaking.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Nov 2015
    178 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth1253 View Post
    That痴 it I知 gonna read the manual which I have printed (took up all my ink) but that痴 as far as I got. I知 gonna do it!

Not tonight but differently probably tomorrow.
    Pay particular attention to iron bias. From the manual...

1. All ferrous (iron) targets produce a combination of a ferrous and nonferrous response. That's good to know.

2. A lower Iron Bias setting will allow the natural response to dominate which means that the target is more likely to be classified as a non-ferrous target. Or in other words a high iron false will sound even less like iron and more like a high non-ferrous target.

3. A higher setting will increase the likelihood that the target is classified as iron. In other words it deletes high tone iron falses AND coins when iron is in the mix.

Iron bias has the potential to cause trouble. The lowest iron bias resulting in the most iron false signals and the most frustration, remember it will emphasize the "dominate" response which is the high false. Pair the lowest iron bias plus with the highest recovery speed its a coin flip, it could be that the high recover speed can separate the iron from the coin, I predict 2 inch wide wiggle sweeps in this mode. Or because a high recovery speed means less accurate target information a high recover speed may result in more iron false signals, that if you lowered the recovery speed the additional target information may be able to more accurately ID the target as iron.

There are no problems, only opportunities. The above settings are the holy grail, max unmasking plus max target separation. The decision may be when to use them. If I'm working bone dry soil I'd try these settings and adjust from there. Bone dry soil shuts iron up, what is a huge iron signal in sopping wet soil, or a large iron signal in moist soil, in bone dry soil the iron gets much smaller. It also shuts up some iron falses. If the soil on a given day is wet, or moist, I might have to nudge the iron bias up a bit and back off the recovery speed a bit. The good news with the EQ is you now have that kind of control over the machine.

TRIVIA - The word Gain does not appear anywhere in the manual. Hey man, where's my gain setting lol I'll be scratching my head over that one for a while because Gain was a pretty useful setting for me on the Se Pro.
    Truth1253 likes this.

Nov 2015
    178 times
    Yes, Beach 1 seems to be a bit deeper, but, I've used Beach 2 also.....though mostly in the salt water where it's more stable than Beach 1. Mineralization doesn't seem to be an issue with either of those programs that a slight change in sensitivity won't cure. Usually, it's just black sand that might require some tweaking.
    Makes sense, the manual says Beach 1 is weighted more toward the lower frequencies which give more depth (but less sensitivity to small targets) and Beach 2 is even more weighted towards the lower frequencies than Beach 1.
    Truth1253 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2014
    Laconia, NH
    Currently: XP Deus v4.1 Minelab Equinox 800 Fisher Gold Bug 2 Previously: Garrett GTA 500 Garrett Ultra GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 1250
    754 times
    Pay particular attention to iron bias. From the manual...

3. A higher setting will increase the likelihood that the target is classified as iron. In other words it deletes high tone iron falses AND coins when iron is in the mix.
    You may be reading too much into this one. I've actually seen a test done on this from Calabash Digger where he places a nonferrous object amongst some nails and with iron bias set at 3, it nulls the nails and the nonferrous object rings through loud and clear.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2014
    Laconia, NH
    754 times
    I've also seen people pulling nonferrous targets from holes that were just filled with nails because of the iron bias.
    AurumHunter024 likes this.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links