Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try iron bias of 3 or 4 and see if that helps.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Problem with iron bias is that it can keep keepers masked is thick iron. Falsing nails typically will have a ferrous grunt associated with them if you switch to all metal and/or will only hit one way if you turn on them. Also the TID will typically change if you hit them with two different modes (e.g., if you are searching in Field 2, try Park 1 or Field 1 to see if the TID changes). I typically have the "opposite" search profie in the User Profile slot to make it easy to switch between a "1" and "2" mode. Audio quality is alsi a giveaway if you can pick up on it especially in 50 tones, it will sound "off" or distorted vs. the solid ping of a coin. HTH.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Problem with iron bias is that it can keep keepers masked is thick iron. Falsing nails typically will have a ferrous grunt associated with them if you switch to all metal and/or will only hit one way if you turn on them. Also the TID will typically change if you hit them with two different modes (e.g., if you are searching in Field 2, try Park 1 or Field 1 to see if the TID changes). I typically have the "opposite" search profie in the User Profile slot to make it easy to switch between a "1" and "2" mode. Audio quality is alsi a giveaway if you can pick up on it especially in 50 tones, it will sound "off" or distorted vs. the solid ping of a coin. HTH.

I get what you’re saying v it just seems like a lot of trouble when searching in places with a lot of iron pieces/nails etc. Seems like I had the opposite problem with my max and F75. I could tell it was iron, but good targets where also iffy at times where the 800 smacks good targets, but the iron falses can also sound good enough to risk a dig. I’ve just been losing bad.

Although by digging all those iron nails I did get that Bust half dime (plug had six nails in it), but the ratio is at 1000 to 1 at this point. Not good odds says my back and arms.

Or maybe the smaller coil will be my savor at this particular site.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get what you’re saying v it just seems like a lot of trouble when searching in places with a lot of iron pieces/nails etc. Seems like I had the opposite problem with my max and F75. I could tell it was iron, but good targets where also iffy at times where the 800 smacks good targets, but the iron falses can also sound good enough to risk a dig. I’ve just been losing bad.

Although by digging all those iron nails I did get that Bust half dime (plug had six nails in it), but the ratio is at 1000 to 1 at this point. Not good odds says my back and arms.

Or maybe the smaller coil will be my savor at this particular site.

OK. Here's the way I look at it, Truth. Iron Bias will get rid of the falsing to a degree. Though, I really haven't found it to be that effective, actually, especially when you consider the downside of missing masked non-ferrous. So the filter may quiet things down but you will also not hear (filter) that busted amongst the nails. I don't think hitting one button (all metal horseshoe or user profile) while pivoting 90 degrees is a lot of trouble to decide whether or not to dig vs. just digging the nail on the false. You will still dig nails even with these tricks, but they should be fewer and far between and you should have a better idea when you DO have a solid potential keeper target. If you have silver down there, I guarantee you will have a better chance of digging it by keeping the iron bias filter off or low than if you use iron bias. If the nails aren't that thick and masking is less likely, I would use go ahead and use iron bias if the falsing is unbearable. That is not how I roll, I like to hear it all and let my brain make the decision based on using these target interrogation techniques and audio queues. Bed of nails, however, and iron bias will filter out the goodies too because you are effectively lowering the recovery speed. If the goodies are not too deep and you have a bed of nails situation, backing off on the sensitivity (called sifting) is also a good technique. You can even apply some iron bias in your "opposite" user profile program (like using Park 1) to see if that knocks down the false when you switch from minimal bias to high iron bias to see if that knocks down the signal. Another dead giveaway that you are swinging over iron. Really, though, to master this sucker, it really comes down to learning what the audio is telling you. Not just pitch which corresponds to TID (hence the false) but audio quality and strength of the "ping", as I previously mentioned. There really are no shortcuts when it comes to thick iron. I agree the 6 inch coil will help because there will be less iron under the coil. Good luck whichever route you choose.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vferrari is correct. However, consider this, I went to a site someone I know cherry picked and using factory setting did very behind them. There is no such thing as not digging some iron. The 6" may help, it probably will, but any small coil like that will highly limit the ground you can cover in a day. I had one for a different machine but gave it up for that reason.

Wrecka

Jun 22, 2017
Gold Coast Queensland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mate iv'e been having the exact same issue , last Sundays search did my head in digging nails. I have no answer but i will be following post closely to learn , i was making adjustments on iron bias but was putting numbers higher..........to cut iron should the numbers be lower ?
One thing i did invest in is a strong magnet to go on the end of my shovel , that way i can clean the iron out fast and double check for a good target without chasing small bits of nail around the hole.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK. Here's the way I look at it, Truth. Iron Bias will get rid of the falsing to a degree. Though, I really haven't found it to be that effective, actually, especially when you consider the downside of missing masked non-ferrous. So the filter may quiet things down but you will also not hear (filter) that busted amongst the nails. I don't think hitting one button (all metal horseshoe or user profile) while pivoting 90 degrees is a lot of trouble to decide whether or not to dig vs. just digging the nail on the false. You will still dig nails even with these tricks, but they should be fewer and far between and you should have a better idea when you DO have a solid potential keeper target. If you have silver down there, I guarantee you will have a better chance of digging it by keeping the iron bias filter off or low than if you use iron bias. If the nails aren't that thick and masking is less likely, I would use go ahead and use iron bias if the falsing is unbearable. That is not how I roll, I like to hear it all and let my brain make the decision based on using these target interrogation techniques and audio queues. Bed of nails, however, and iron bias will filter out the goodies too because you are effectively lowering the recovery speed. If the goodies are not too deep and you have a bed of nails situation, backing off on the sensitivity (called sifting) is also a good technique. You can even apply some iron bias in your "opposite" user profile program (like using Park 1) to see if that knocks down the false when you switch from minimal bias to high iron bias to see if that knocks down the signal. Another dead giveaway that you are swinging over iron. Really, though, to master this sucker, it really comes down to learning what the audio is telling you. Not just pitch which corresponds to TID (hence the false) but audio quality and strength of the "ping", as I previously mentioned. There really are no shortcuts when it comes to thick iron. I agree the 6 inch coil will help because there will be less iron under the coil. Good luck whichever route you choose.

I take you advice to heart. I think another problem of mine is digging the iffy signals by habit from my other machines and really not trusting this one. I will live to swing another day.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If the problem prasist go to the F75. We had a conversation about the sniper coil. My 75 LTD does great in iron with the small coil. Sometimes you just have to adjust. I keep the sniper on the F75. It's good around old home sites when set up correctly. Not saying the 800 can't be fine tuned but you list the 75 in you profile. Why not try it. When you are digging iron all day you might sacrifice a little depth.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mate iv'e been having the exact same issue , last Sundays search did my head in digging nails. I have no answer but i will be following post closely to learn , i was making adjustments on iron bias but was putting numbers higher..........to cut iron should the numbers be lower ?
One thing i did invest in is a strong magnet to go on the end of my shovel , that way i can clean the iron out fast and double check for a good target without chasing small bits of nail around the hole.

And I just happen to have the perfect magnet IMG_0012.JPG

Good idea Wreaka

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vferrari is correct. However, consider this, I went to a site someone I know cherry picked and using factory setting did very behind them. There is no such thing as not digging some iron. The 6" may help, it probably will, but any small coil like that will highly limit the ground you can cover in a day. I had one for a different machine but gave it up for that reason.

Yeah smokey it just a 30x30 area that I’m concentrating on. I just know there has to be another one there.

And of course the half dime hits at 20-21 the exact same as my falsing iron. Lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the problem prasist go to the F75. We had a conversation about the sniper coil. My 75 LTD does great in iron with the small coil. Sometimes you just have to adjust. I keep the sniper on the F75. It's good around old home sites when set up correctly. Not saying the 800 can't be fine tuned but you list the 75 in you profile. Why not try it. When you are digging iron all day you might sacrifice a little depth.

I sold it and the Max for the 800. I knew I should’ve sold them. I didn’t even have too that’s what really adds salt to the wound.

I had the snake coil for the F75 as well, it would have worked out perfect.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the 30' area, you will have to go over it multiple times at different seasons of the year to really nail it. It took me 3 years to get MOST of the items out of a 10' x 20' area in VA in the horrid red dirt with my Deus. It has almost given up the ghost now since I got the HF coil for the Deus. That thing beats anything on the market. Really. Goes real deep too.

You should have kept one. Do you have two working machines right now? If not I'd get either another fisher or an XP Deus. Whining before Christmas may do it for you. Severe whining amongst relatives.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For the 30' area, you will have to go over it multiple times at different seasons of the year to really nail it. It took me 3 years to get MOST of the items out of a 10' x 20' area in VA in the horrid red dirt with my Deus. It has almost given up the ghost now since I got the HF coil for the Deus. That thing beats anything on the market. Really. Goes real deep too.

My next one will be a Deus and then I’m done...really I mean it....done. Equinox and a Deus makes truth a happy man.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Technology may change again, however with that said, since I'm turning into an old toad, I probably won't get another machine...ever. But you never know. I have firmly decided to NOT go in the water, even the ocean water. A local lady was at the beach and caught some kind of neurological attacking organism that left her in a wheelchair. It's bad enough with the hypodermic needles at the beaches, let alone what you can't see in the water.

I had to bail on the equinox because it hurt my arm to use it, and if mess that arm up, my MD career it just plain flat over.

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Equinox users do rusty nails falsing high have a bounce pattern similar to an Explorers?

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Technology may change again, however with that said, since I'm turning into an old toad, I probably won't get another machine...ever. But you never know. I have firmly decided to NOT go in the water, even the ocean water. A local lady was at the beach and caught some kind of neurological attacking organism that left her in a wheelchair. It's bad enough with the hypodermic needles at the beaches, let alone what you can't see in the water.

I had to bail on the equinox because it hurt my arm to use it, and if mess that arm up, my MD career it just plain flat over.

My fear of having a leg bitten off by a shark...yeah I stick to the wet sand at the beach. lol

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Yea,yea,yea, just one more detector and I'm done. I wish I had a gold coin for the times I've heard that.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charlesupstateny, I ain't afraid of no shark, just microbes that destroy your life. Snakes, bugs, bats, the dark, actually, just the microbes. Snakes fear me, especially when I make them ride on the top of my truck and then get tired of the ride and "fly off". Check my older post where I took a canoe back to the store and 5 miles from the house this snakes comes barreling out of canoe, across the windshield and onto the ground.

My first machine was a White's a 4000 I think, 1980 something or other. Then somebody whooped me real good with a Tesoro Bandito and I got one. Then a Tesoro Lobo with the big loop.

I had a Garrett for a brief time back then but didn't like it. I got rid of it fast. Then I had a long hiatus.

I started back up in 2010 with a Tesoro Cibola, which I still have. Then tried a Whites, Garrett and Minelab. Didn't like any so resold them fast.

Finally got my 2nd machine the Deus in 2016 and now I have two, the Deus and Cibola. They pretty much do anything I want. The Cibola is a superior beep and go beach and relic machine and the Deus is just unbelievable.

The Cibola beep and go has found THREE gold coins, a ton of CW relics, TWO CW belt plates, Confederate buttons, I'm going to have to sell off the collection of items I purchased over the years figuring I'd never find one, because now I have found one! Of everything almost. Case in point was my 500 year old Spanish maravedis I found locally a few months ago. It was a HORRIBLE signal with the Deus. I dug it anyway and still can't believe I found such an old coin in Maryland. In a farm field. Not near any house, but on a small rise over what would have once been an old Indian trail and is now a state highway. It was 25 feet or something like that off the highway.

Now keep in mind I don't do parks, the Deus is better in the parks. It's not so much the machine, it's research, having the willpower to try new spots on hunches or just for the sake of it and digging iffy signals. If you rely on the VDI you lose. Even with the Deus. Or the Equinox. Or any other machine for that matter.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread