ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard of this happening to two other folks. Usually a manufacturing defect if it happens on the first dunk. One of the others was a first dunk failure, the other happened after 50+ hours of water hunting. Unfortunately, it happens. I think if the thing is built correctly, the design appears sound, though the one that failed after 50+ hours is a concern.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I just received my 800 today. I opened the box to look at what was in there, but have not unboxed it yet.

This topic concerns me, remembering the CTX issues.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I HAVE HEARD FROM OTHERS ALSO

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, talking to several dealers we are talking about counting on one hand numbers after unprecented sales in the thousands multiplied by hundreds of hours of water usage. I know several die hard water hunters who have had no issues. Panic is not recommended. Lol. OTOH, it is not good for those who have experienced it like SurgTech. ML to their credit is being responsive to getting peoples machines replaced.

Last edited:

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
I've taken mine in the ocean several times now with no issues.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
After those previous CTX leakage issues and now the reports of recent flooding problems with some EQXs, I've made it a house rule that the only detector to be submerged are my Excals. I'll take the CTX and EQX into the surf only about ankle to knee deep at most and will never intentionally risk dunking the control box on either one. Too cautious some might say but this rule makes me feel better.

:icon_thumright:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I honestly wouldn't worry about it while the detector is still under warranty, especially since I now have a backup.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Small sealed box with the glass front - full of electronics that generate a lot of heat and a powerful battery pouring amps into that tiny case – no reason to be optimistic about its long-term waterproofness.

On the other hand maybe everything will be fine – Time will tell

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
On my first water hunt with my 800 in waist deep lake water using wireless earphones I almost had a bad problem. Fortunately I was hunting and talking with another 800 user who noticed on my earphone connection on the 800 where I had forgotten to screw in the water tight plug. I mean it was just hanging free and my control box was just a few inches from the water. He quickly pointed that out the potential problem to me and save me some real problems. Now I am very much aware of that issue. It was never a problem with my AT problem because for the most of the time i used it in lakes and rivers I always used the headphone with the water tight seal connector with the Garrett headphones.

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my first water hunt with my 800 in waist deep lake water using wireless earphones I almost had a bad problem. Fortunately I was hunting and talking with another 800 user who noticed on my earphone connection on the 800 where I had forgotten to screw in the water tight plug. I mean it was just hanging free and my control box was just a few inches from the water. He quickly pointed that out the potential problem to me and save me some real problems. Now I am very much aware of that issue. It was never a problem with my AT problem because for the most of the time i used it in lakes and rivers I always used the headphone with the water tight seal connector with the Garrett headphones.

that plug does not keep water out of the control box. it only keeps dirt and debree water out of the connector.if you never have the plug on the only think that will happen is you will get the connector wet. not an isue with fresh water... salt water will rust the connectors with time...simply rinse it out with fresh water and let dry. the plug in itself is not water proof at all with out the lanyard.and if not tight water ,sand etc will get in.

your mouth is not water-proof if it is open. thus the need for drule buckets...

like anything a good regular clean and expect/maintance will premote a lasting experince.

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the only way to prove your equinox has no water issues is to submerage it and observe. if it leaks in any way send it back for replacement/repair. thats all you can do.
really its a no brainer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread