vferrari and others, no GAIN setting on the EQ???

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No magic bullets, modes, or settings. You have to interrogate the targets to differentiate nail falsing and keepers. Use the horseshoe button and listen for the iron tone with the false.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth --

I personally turn the horseshoe button on (disc. off), and leave it on -- all the time (but you have to "turn it on" each time you turn the machine on, as it defaults to "off" each time you power off the machine). I hunt with it "on," (no disc) because in my opinion, it's good to hear the iron. When hunting in the nails, hearing the iron -- and how the high tones behave mixed in with the iron tones -- helps me out in terms of trying to figure out if I'm dealing with just falsing, or perhaps a co-located non-ferrous target with the iron. Like vferrari said, there's no magic bullet, but in my opinion it's a bit easier to learn to try and listen for keepers in the nails when you can HEAR the iron, versus silencing it. It takes time, either way, and of course square nails are much harder to work in than regular, modern nails; square nails sound much better of course (in terms of the amount of high-toning they generate), and as such are harder to work in. It takes time and effort, but in my opinion there is quite a bit of audio nuance available in the Equinox that takes a bit of time to learn. But, over time, you will start to catch on to its language (as evidenced by an improvement in your trash-to-keeper ratio).

Steve

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bent square nails are the worst. I like to hear the iron too, and keep Disc off and use 50 tones. But if that is not your cup of tea, using AM to interrogate a potential false is also an option and one I have suggested before. There is no magic that is going to prevent a false with the possible exception of cranking up iron bias, but then you will likely miss masked keepers amongst thick iron. Detecting success can hinge on doing a good job managing these tradeoffs. No free lunches, no magic bullets. Sorry if I found like a broken record, Truth.

Last edited:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bent square nails are the worst. I like to hear the iron too, and keep Disc off and use 50 tones. But if that is not your cup of tea, using AM to interrogate a potential false is also an option and one I have suggested before. There is no magic that is going to prevent a false with the possible exception of cranking up iron bias, but then you will likely miss masked keepers amongst thick iron. Detecting success can hinge on doing a good job managing these tradeoffs. No free lunches, no magic bullets. Sorry if I found like a broken record, Truth.

No no not at all the truth is the truth. Sometimes we need to hear things a couple of times for it to sink in a I appreciate the free education at that.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth --

I personally turn the horseshoe button on (disc. off), and leave it on -- all the time (but you have to "turn it on" each time you turn the machine on, as it defaults to "off" each time you power off the machine). I hunt with it "on," (no disc) because in my opinion, it's good to hear the iron. When hunting in the nails, hearing the iron -- and how the high tones behave mixed in with the iron tones -- helps me out in terms of trying to figure out if I'm dealing with just falsing, or perhaps a co-located non-ferrous target with the iron. Like vferrari said, there's no magic bullet, but in my opinion it's a bit easier to learn to try and listen for keepers in the nails when you can HEAR the iron, versus silencing it. It takes time, either way, and of course square nails are much harder to work in than regular, modern nails; square nails sound much better of course (in terms of the amount of high-toning they generate), and as such are harder to work in. It takes time and effort, but in my opinion there is quite a bit of audio nuance available in the Equinox that takes a bit of time to learn. But, over time, you will start to catch on to its language (as evidenced by an improvement in your trash-to-keeper ratio).

Steve

Steve I’m gonna give it a try next time. Actually I one of those that doesn’t mind all the noise when detecting it actually relaxes me. Lol

Also I just purchased the 6” coil ( I lucked up) and it’s being mailed out to me tomorrow, so that should differently help me out on this sight. I’m excited, besides I don’t wanna have to dig this guys yard up chasing more Half Dimes and Half Reals. Lol

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go Terry.
Guys keep trying to get stuff out of the Equinox that isn't there then bitxh about it. I never looked for anything that wasn't there and am more pleased with the performance of the Equinox the more I use it and have 250+ hours so far. I have also found $300+ in clad and 7 silver rings..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread