equinox small coil

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok, some of us are waiting for the smaller coil for the Equinox. Some poster have indicated it is just around the corner, eg sometime in July this year.

I had an AT Pro with the Stock Coil and Nel Thunder and a the 5x8". The 5x8" was my "go to" coil for trashy areas and areas with thicker brush. It was a super coil matched up with the AT Pro.

I have an Equinox 800. What can we expect with this coil paired up with the Equinox?

a) fantastic results?
b) or just the typical results that a smaller coil will deliver?

also any idea on the size and price anyone?

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
My guess would be both A and B. But if I had to narrow it down, B.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, some of us are waiting for the smaller coil for the Equinox. Some poster have indicated it is just around the corner, eg sometime in July this year.

I had an AT Pro with the Stock Coil and Nel Thunder and a the 5x8". The 5x8" was my "go to" coil for trashy areas and areas with thicker brush. It was a super coil matched up with the AT Pro.

I have an Equinox 800. What can we expect with this coil paired up with the Equinox?

a) fantastic results?
b) or just the typical results that a smaller coil will deliver?

also any idea on the size and price anyone?

What do you consider fantastic? What do you consider typical?

Small coil = less depth (how much TBD), less swing coverage but better able to swing in tight spots, lighter weight, and less iron/trash under the coil when in thick trash conditions which can help with bringing shallow keeper signals out of the trash. No miracles will happen. Can't defy laws of physics. It is a situational coil, no more, no less. As an OEM coil it will be optimized as much as possible to work well with Equinox. I prefer a small elliptical because you get the advantage of the coverage of the elliptical's long coil dimension with less weight and the ability swing side to side in tight spots with minimal depth loss compared to a round coil with the diameter the same as the long dimension of the elliptical. ML would have made my day with an 8x5" coil offering.

Last edited:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
go look in the head to head section. I will post a video of the 5 x8 coil against the Nox 11 inch coil. I think it would be safe to say we could expect more from the minelab coil than the garrett one offers. just my thoughts. BTW I always heard the 5 x8 garrett coil was the bomb but I didnt find that to be the case when I tested it.

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with vferrari, I'd rather have a nice 8x5 for the equinox, it is my favorite size coil, but any 8" coil would be my choice. I did ask Minelab but they replied they had no plans for any 8" coils. Maybe if enough people ask for one they will get the picture. Coiltech also says they have no immediate plans for an 8" coil for the nox. I like the machine, but will wait a while and see if more coils become available before buying one.

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$179.99 it will be here mid to late june . Oh....Wait . I mean late july ? They keep changing the release time frame and we are now in the dark . Just like any other coil , when you put a new one on you find more things in the same beat down areas .The ATP is no where near the equinox as far as performance no matter what coil you use .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread