EQ800 - Small Gold Test BAM!

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....if it walks/talks/smells like a duck...some one will want to make a spam sandwich out of shoe leather just to show they can. for what ever reason its about being top dog in the house...its much like a duck wanting to out shine a bevy of swans, hard to do with a congress of baboons.

its not about being right with the equinox. with its focus on building a detector that fits in most search environments. a machine that overlaps more search styles
than any other detector currently on the market. this machine is a hit because of its magic ability to attract so many types of hunters on many different levels.

I compare the equinox to the bible....its right no mater how much evil you throw at it...the equinox will attract many congresses trying to push their agendas past
logic and common sense.

bottom line is help those that need help, and smile at the rest.

OP
OP
C

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The manual (p. 25) is unclear whether Beach 2 only reduces power when in the presence of black sand or at all times. You will see a caution symbol (Exclamation mark in a triangle) when black sand related falsing overload happens and power is reduced (further?). Not clear if the black sand overload power reduction condition applies to both beach modes.

All I know is I can get the other modes to run stable unless I am looking at saturated wet sand, but the beach park I frequent is tidal but is bay protected and has little surf.

Black Sand Overload is a 2nd and I think more severe power reduction than the Beach 2 power reduction. It also applies to BOTH Beach 1 and Beach 2 according to the manual. First look at what the manual says, here's the black sand overload image from the manual note that its showing the black sand overload in Beach 1 mode.

Second black sand absolutely collects and concentrates in thick streaks on the wet sand because its so heavy, real heavy. This is not just an issue in the water, you can encounter these thick streaks on the wet sand all the way up to the normal high tide line. Sometimes they are paper thin sometimes several inches thick. Even in the dry sand at deeper depths where the sand is more hard packed, when storms chew cliffs out of the dry sand above the normal high tide line you can see the streaks of black sand in the cliff face.

Finally in the water, and the reason for the separate Beach 2 power reduction I think. Lets say there's no black sand at all, they still have to reduce power to deal with the volume of salt water above/below the coil. More specifically the changing volume of salt water above the coil, its a motion detector remember, even if the coil is stationary sitting still on the bottom, a wave rolls through even if you are waist deep and the wave just a gentle rolling wave the difference in the volume of salt water above the coil, wave peak vs trough might be 1-2 feet, because that's in motion bam false. An electronics tech once told me this is more about the change in capacitance than the salt water being detected. I don't know if that's true, but if you even lightly touch a coil with your finger before the shielding paint is applied, so the coil its completely encased in non-conductive epoxy, and your finger isn't conductive, but lightly brush your finger across that unshielded coil and bam false. Grab a few blades of grass from your lawn, brush that lightly on a unshielded coil bam false. Once the shielding paint is applied and routes whatever is going on there to Ground no more falsing.

blacksand.jpg

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep the words were not clear, but the picture sure was, didn't notice that before. I have yet to cause a beach mode overload on my machine. When it does click in, it pretty much stays locked in while in the water based on anecdotal reports.

The moving salt water AND constantly changing salinity concentration in turbulent surf is also why ML recommends GB tracking in surf and deeper salt water hunting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep the words were not clear, but the picture sure was, didn't notice that before. I have yet to cause a beach mode overload on my machine. When it does click in, it pretty much stays locked in while in the water based on anecdotal reports.

The moving salt water AND constantly changing salinity concentration in turbulent surf is also why ML recommends GB tracking in surf and deeper salt water hunting.

Hey quick question on that, auto GB tracking. I loved that on my Explorer just let the machine deal with GB. Deus obviously I'm back to manual GB. How good is the EQ's auto tracking GB? Any real advantage to manual GB other than really nasty mineralization? Any chance the EQ tracking GB would be too conservative on a beach?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regarding Equinox GB tracking, I would not use it on dry sand (without black sand). Like the Deus, it needs a change in mineralization (or salinity) to grab onto and adjust. In dry sand, for the most part that does not exist if there is no black sand mixed in (at my beach I have never GB, I just go with the 0 default). Today I only went knee deep into the water and stayed in Beach 1 with GB at the default and it was stable even though the water was choppy. If you are in churning surf, I see no problem using tracking. Obviously tracking makes sense in mineralized soil if the GB reference is constantly changing. Dry sand, I would not do it. As long as there is some mineralization (or salinity change), I really haven't seen any downside to using tracking. Another thing to note, the Equinox takes full advantage of Multi IQ to both compensate for a less than optimal GB situation and also to obtain a precise manual/auto GB setting (and of course, for accurate GB tracking if using that feature) because it can use the multi frequency based readings to generate more than a single point calibration that you get with a single frequency detector, and uses processing to deal with the salinity ground component when using the Beach search profile modes. That is one of the reason why Beach search profile modes are ONLY multifrequency.

[Tangent Alert] That is also why I avoid using single frequency except in rare occasions to either interrogate a target or as a last ditch method to deal with EMI. Note that single frequency also cuts out the ability the use Iron Bias. That is why I believe that if you go to single frequency you are basically removing search profile mode "personality" so, assuming the user adjustable settings are set the same for each mode, Park 1 = Park 2 = Field 1 = Field 2 when in single frequecy (Beach mode cannot be operated in single frequency, and Gold Mode is just a different animal altogether).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread